Let's see if I understand Ultraphonix

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thebard

Let's see if I understand Ultraphonix

Post by thebard »

So basically from what I have scanned on Amp Garage, the Ultraphonix mod is a change on the Normal Channel of an AB763 in order to make it more of an overdrive channel? Leaving the vibrato channel untouched.

And then, the Power Amp section is changed to a Tweed power amp such as the 5f6a?
talbany

Re: Let's see if I understand Ultraphonix

Post by talbany »

thebard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 am So basically from what I have scanned on Amp Garage, the Ultraphonix mod is a change on the Normal Channel of an AB763 in order to make it more of an overdrive channel? Leaving the vibrato channel untouched.
No! :roll:
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
xtian

Post by xtian »

Come on, Tony! I've been here 10 years, and I don't know what the Ultra Penix mod is. Give a first poster a break. 8)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
talbany

Post by talbany »

xtian wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 am Come on, Tony! I've been here 10 years, and I don't know what the Ultra Penix mod is. Give a first poster a break. 8)
Somebody Please put this in a sticky
The UP mod does not exist as any 1 design or 1 amp ..It's a custom mod for a particular customer using a multiple of different circuits that Dumble chooses given the players needs and wants out of his/her amp. It's been known to have different tone stacks and different RP/RK plate configurations on different channels and different output sections using different output transformers on several different Black Face platforms and more than likely using different parts.
So which version of the UP mod do you want or are you talking about? or is it a version that already exists that you want to copy?..I would be happy to recommend something but i have no clue what this player wants or needs

This is why I simply responded "No" There is no answer to his question :?
Nobody Knows...
Tony
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I definitely think your description fits what I think makes sense (I would think giving that first may have been the better path, but getting is worth the wait I guess :D

I'll definitely sticky this thread as it should help answer any typical questions on it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
thebard

Post by thebard »

ok, yes I understand all that, that's why I didn't say something very specific like a new resistor somewhere.

There's a reason why Sebago makes an Ultra Phonix mod (I also know it's custom to the needs and wants of the customer) and there's a Vertex Ultra Phonix pedal. There must be something very general on what it's done to the amp.

I suppose Sebago has and had played an Ultra Phonix and seen it's guts and understood what happened inside in order to start making those mods. Also Amplified Nation has the Ampliphonix and Gain amp which I understand is a workaround from an Ultra Phonix he had in his shop.

So that basically tells me: There's a Mod and it can be reproduced, maybe not to perfection but as a general guideline like I said: Something done to the normal channel and somewhere I read Dumble changes the Power Amp section to a tweed circuit instead of ab763 (not a fact, just repeating my initial question)

Continuing with that, what are those AB763 Dumble Cool Mods circling around the internet?

I'm just trying to learn about this. It's been like a week since I started learning about amps in order to understand my amps more (not trying to build something yet, and if I do, i'd start with a 5f6a) and I thought these questions could be very insightful on some topics I still don't understand.
talbany

Post by talbany »

The Ultra-Phonix (UP) mods are typically performed to Fender amps from mid 1960’s to the early 1970’s. The philosophy of the UP mods is, as the name implies, to extract the ultimate sonic qualities from the donor amp.

Since Dumble was primarily a "Custom" instrument designer his designs were created for a specific sound and or a specific purpose. This was also reflected in the different Model ODSs he created over many years to obviously keep up with sound of the day and all of the different styles of music. Being as Dumble was in the home of Capitol Records and many other record labels and recording studios Dumble catered to many studio and session players during the 70's and 80's. In this environment he did custom work for many of the worlds great guitar players. Being as Dumble already had and knew how each of his various circuits responded either preamp or power he offered to convert certain BlackFace/Silver face 70's amps using circuits implemented in the Overdrive Specials line depending on the player, therefore no 2 were ever exactly the same..

So How do you build an Ultraphonix? (rebuild)

Start by choosing a preamp
Skyliner
Classic
Bluesmaster
(and another I am not at liberty of saying :shock:)
He combined these with the specified Plate loads of the Stacks. 100k/150k/220k etc..
Sometimes Dumble would Mod the normal input and keep the vibrato channel stock (or tweak it) or he would mod both channels depending on the amps design and players needs.
There are also reports of him installing the "High gain" mod into one channel of the amp if the customer wanted.

The most popular output section I know of used in the UP is the Bluesmaster, although it wouldn't surprise me to see one pop up like a standard 4th Generation type. Again depending on the players needs :D

You can find all of these various circuits/preamps in the files section and(search high gain Bassman) in amps like 102/Low Plate Classic/183/ and the Bluesmaster.
Obviously the coolest thing about the UP mod was you would get a custom voiced amp tailored to your needs by the man himself and do it on a platform you already own and need in either a head or a combo for a slightly cheaper cost :D

The only problem you have is you don't have Dumble here to recommend which circuits to use to achieve the sound your looking for?. So unless you played through and are familiar with these different preamp sections and tone stacks which one do you choose?.. This IMO is main goal behind a Custom built instrument.
The last thing are the parts!
Dumble was a genius at picking the right parts needed to enhance the sound the player was after which is IMO a rather big part of what made a Dumble a "Dumble". I am also sure there are probably a few more of Dumbles circuits and tweaks lurking somewhere inside an old modded Fender. As these come to be known perhaps we an expand on the sticky and bring more of the UP mod to the Garage

This should get you started in the right direction
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
Good Luck!!
Tony
talbany

Post by talbany »

thebard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:58 am ok, yes I understand all that, that's why I didn't say something very specific like a new resistor somewhere.

There's a reason why Sebago makes an Ultra Phonix mod (I also know it's custom to the needs and wants of the customer) and there's a Vertex Ultra Phonix pedal. There must be something very general on what it's done to the amp.

I suppose Sebago has and had played an Ultra Phonix and seen it's guts and understood what happened inside in order to start making those mods. Also Amplified Nation has the Ampliphonix and Gain amp which I understand is a workaround from an Ultra Phonix he had in his shop.

So that basically tells me: There's a Mod and it can be reproduced, maybe not to perfection but as a general guideline like I said: Something done to the normal channel and somewhere I read Dumble changes the Power Amp section to a tweed circuit instead of ab763 (not a fact, just repeating my initial question)

Continuing with that, what are those AB763 Dumble Cool Mods circling around the internet?

I'm just trying to learn about this. It's been like a week since I started learning about amps in order to understand my amps more (not trying to build something yet, and if I do, i'd start with a 5f6a) and I thought these questions could be very insightful on some topics I still don't understand.
Thats correct! These builders either got their hands on a version of a UP modded amp or they got some pictures and built one based off those pictures or someone sent them a schematic..Many Of those guys offering these amps hang or used to hangout here :D Perhaps they will send you a schematic or send you pictures..Good luck with that!

My guess would be the Builder of the Vertex pedal got his hands on one, spectrum analyzed and modeled it and tried to recreate the EQ settings /headroom and compression/feel into a pedal. He will be the 1st to tell you it's his interpretation of the amp he modeled.
As far as the cool mod's out on the net? . Dumble did a lot of cool things :D
Last edited by talbany on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

talbany wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 am
xtian wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 am Come on, Tony! I've been here 10 years, and I don't know what the Ultra Penix mod is. Give a first poster a break. 8)
The UP mod does not exist as any 1 design or 1 amp ..It's a custom mod for a particular customer using a multiple of different circuits that Dumble chooses given the players needs and wants out of his/her amp. It's been known to have different tone stacks and different RP/RK plate configurations on different channels and different output sections using different output transformers on several different Black Face platforms and more than likely using different parts.
So which version of the UP mod do you want or are you talking about? or is it a version that already exists that you want to copy?..I would be happy to recommend something but i have no clue what this player wants or needs

Nobody Knows...
Tony
This model of small variations tailored to each individual customer is true of all Dumble amps, isn't it? The various ODSs we know here are different, but they can be divided into distinct categories, and I expect that the Ultraphonix mods can be understood in the same way. For example, it has been said that most incorporate a Marshall tone stack and a 5F6-A PI.
talbany

Post by talbany »

martin manning wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 pm
talbany wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 am

Nobody Knows...
Tony
This model of small variations tailored to each individual customer is true of all Dumble amps, isn't it? The various ODS's we know here are different, but they can be divided into distinct categories, and I expect that the Ultraphonix mods can be understood in the same way. For example, it has been said that most incorporate a Marshall tone stack and a 5F6-A PI.
In a way this is true, however,if someone were to ask you? "how do I build an Overdrive Special" The response would be Ok which one?. Unfortunately there is no model name or generational reference to the various Ultraphonix mods or maybe there is and we just don't know about them?(Read my latest post. The one after the one you posted. I elaborated a bit more) IMO "small variations" can be subjective?
For example, it has been said that most incorporate a Marshall tone stack and a 5F6-A PI.
Originally I heard it was a Skyliner (Bandmaster), Then there was one out there that had a Classic? Then one that had some kind of a Vox style stack and of course the Bluesmaster stack was widely reported later around 2007/8in a Showman. As far as the output section goes like I stipulated in my recent post that AFAIK most do have a Bluesmaster PI in both 50 and 100watt UP amps
but wouldn't surprise me to see a 4th gen pop up, just like I recently found he made a high plate classic?? :roll:
Tony
thebard

Post by thebard »

I must say this is an awesome topic.

I would like to someday own a lot of amps to reverse engineer them hahaah.

I feel for me it's like Adult Legos, when I was a kid I loved starting to build things with Legos (choosing the right pieces in order to get to what I wanted to achieve), and the end result was always amazing (as a feeling, maybe not so much the Lego build :P).

Thanks for your replies! let's keep on deciphering Dumble :P (Also I think it's kinda lame that people don't want to share their knowledge and hide stuff, but well, he's himself and he chooses how to live and manage his own life)

Nothing Bad Has Ever Happened For Sharing Knowledge (Except maybe 20% of the time :P)
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

careful not to hurt yourself slobbering on this UP

:shock:
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

If I hadn't seen the pic, I wouldn't have guessed that the clean sound came from a Marshall
Steve
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

That’s one of my favorite tones ever, love that clip
Charlie
Faze

Post by Faze »

That is a beautiful tone from the Marshall. Nice fluid playing from the guitarist helps as well.

When he switches the drive in, is that a pab or an overdrive stage? Anyone know?