My '63 Dumble-modded Princeton (?)

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

danny_777

My '63 Dumble-modded Princeton (?)

Post by danny_777 »

Hello!

I have an amp which I'd be grateful for some community input on (as someone who is entirely incapable when it comes to electronics, circuitry, etc), and which may be of interest to you guys.

I have a wonderful old Fender Princeton from late 1963 - it's a transitional "tuxedo" model, so the blackface livery with the brownface 6G2 circuit. It's a beautiful thing. I was told by the previous owner that it is actually the amp pictured on page 50 of the "First 50 Years of Fender Amps" book.

The amp sounds absolutely spectacular - guitars sound very "full" and very dynamic through it, and all sorts of overtones and harmonics jump out at higher volumes. It's truly wonderful to play. Anecdotally, everyone who's ever played it has offered to buy it on the spot!

I bought this 5/6 years ago, and have a printed chain of emails indicating that the amp was modified or "optimised" by Howard Dumble some years ago. I haven't given this too much thought over the years but decided to investigate this properly.

You can see my pictures below.

From some research, it seems that Dumble used to stamp his modded/rebuilt Fender amps "A.D.". This stamp is present in the main body of the 'cage'. I've also found some pics of an old Dumble Bandmaster, in which you can see the exact same stamp, with the faded first leg of the "A" and the weird backwards tick through the "D", here: http://www.amparchives.com/folder/2519/

There's also a number inscribed on the speaker in the same place and handwriting as I've seen on some other apparent Dumble/Fender mods.

I'd be hugely grateful for your thoughts. I put this on another forum and Rob Livesey from the UK, who seems knowledgeable on these matters, indicated that it has "all the hallmarks" of a Dumble-modded amp.

didit

Re: My '63 Dumble-modded Princeton (?)

Post by didit »

Hello -

No Dumble expert so will defer to wisdom of others on whether it had crossed his bench. Upon an excess of time spent researching 6G2 in preparation for building anew based off that basic template, yours looks really clean and nearly stock. Ground swap switch has been modded into stand-by; some cathode bypass caps swapped, for what look to be stock values; and can see some changes around the tone pot. More better photos could aid people's attention and advice.

Best .. Ian
danny_777

Post by danny_777 »

Thanks Ian! What woudl be helpful - clearer pics of the circuitry?
didit

Post by didit »

Cathode bypass cap at the right end (pointing with short arrow) looks identical to the tremolo one more in centre that's clearly a 25uF. Best to be certain it is. And there are components off the fiber board soldered directly to the pots (pointing with long arrow). A clean close-up of those will complete the picture for me. Others may well see stuff I missed.

6g2 circuit.jpg
Best .. Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

That orange drop tone cap to ground looks like either a Mallory PVC series polyester film/foil or a Sprague 225p PE f/f.
didit

Post by didit »

Colossal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:54 pm That orange drop tone cap to ground looks like either a Mallory PVC series polyester film/foil or a Sprague 225p PE f/f.
Yup, but of what uF value?

Colossal

Post by Colossal »

didit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Colossal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:54 pm That orange drop tone cap to ground looks like either a Mallory PVC series polyester film/foil or a Sprague 225p PE f/f.

4n7 would be my guess
danny_777

Post by danny_777 »

Here's some better gut shots - hope these help!

sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I think this is not a mod, just a simple repair job. The orange drop, bias cap, and the two cathode caps are original values.

EDIT... Looks like he may have also replaced the cap can. I'd probably just call this a cap job.
Last edited by sluckey on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny_777

Post by danny_777 »

sluckey wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:54 pm I think this is not a mod, just a simple repair job. The orange drop, bias cap, and the two cathode caps are original values.
Hmm. The provenance I have with the amp says it was "optimised" by Dumble - not quite sure what that process might involve! The amp sounds spectacular though.
talbany

Post by talbany »

sluckey wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:54 pm I think this is not a mod, just a simple repair job. The orange drop, bias cap, and the two cathode caps are original values.
I agree!..The amp is stock and hardly been touched..Even if Dumble did refresh the bypass caps it's the 1st time I can remember him using the newer Black Spragues, he liked to use the older Jap Caps.
BTW. For the money there are much better alternatives out there.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

Thanks for the additional photos. Much is now clearer. Great little amp that perhaps seemed just perfect as-is, so no need to tamper or molest.

---
Agreed. Noting that another 25uF/25V cap was used for the bias filter. Original schematic and photos I've saved have 25uF/50V?
Colossal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:34 pm
didit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:21 pm

4n7 would be my guess
Close. An actual 5n0 stock value Sprague. That domino looks original.
talbany wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 pm
BTW. For the money there are much better alternatives out there.
True. What then would you recommend?

Best .. Ian
talbany

Post by talbany »

True. What then would you recommend?
Most alum electrolytics from Japan are good quality. However if I had to pick one currently available for the money, it would be Nitchion PET.

Here are a few others
Elna:
Rubycon :
Panasonic

If money is no object "Audio Grade"
Elna, Silmic's
Rubycon's Black Gates
Nichicon Golds.
I've tried all of these and they are all wonderful :D

The (Silver) Sprague low ESR caps are also a decent cap but are not what I would consider Cheap..
Tony
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Tweedle Champ has the newer black Spragues.
And the Tweedle Dee has newer Ruby caps.

Aaron
talbany

Post by talbany »

Aaron wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:23 am The Tweedle Champ has the newer black Spragues.
And the Tweedle Dee has newer Ruby caps.

Aaron
I don't remember seeing these but here they are in the Champ.
Thanks Aaron :D
Picture 100.jpg
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.