Safety Thread?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Anaconda1126

Safety Thread?

Post by Anaconda1126 »

I'm new to the forum and I'm planning on doing a build sometime this winter. This forum is an amazing resource but one thing I've found is that, while there's TONS of info on various builds and what not, there's barely any info on safety.

Maybe its just assumed to be common knowledge but I think that a thread dedicated to dangerous situations and safety would be an invaluable (as possibly life-saving) resource to have stickied up top.

I realize that because there is no set way to go about doing a build and because there are so many variations that this is probably easier said than done but maybe just covering the critical safety issues in a, "whenever dealing with X, make sure you have done Y first" fashion would be good.

What do you guys think?
pedro

Re: Safety Thread?

Post by pedro »

http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/taffram.htm

heres something to get you started - there IS a lot of good practical safety advice on the net for working around tube circuitry.

I guess by default there is an assumption that if your looking to build something like a Dumble circuit then you probably already need to have spent some time working on tube circuits and understand the dangers and safety aspects you need to be aware of. If not - take a step back for a while and get the safety basics well understood.

Take care - my advice is to google everything you can about working with HV ciruits before you take the plunge.

But go ahead and do it once you have , as its so rewarding and tube circuity is so "organic" - you can really get in there and change things and make a real difference to the sound - its not like working with Solid State.

Maybe you already understand all this and youre just pointing out the benefit of the advice being posted permanently - thats cool, not a bad idea I guess - cant hurt to do it.

Rgds
Pete C
Anaconda1126

Post by Anaconda1126 »

Thanks for the link!

I've done a couple of MUCH simpler builds before and I know some of the basics but I don't want to be naive about my limits. I'm assuming there are other newbies on here as well and that they could benefit from this kind of info as well.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Cool,

in my experience so far I think the most dangerous aspect of working with amps is the excitemnt you get when your changing something and getting close to the tone your chasing. THIS is the time when you tend to speed up and start to make mistakes - you might remeber to power down the amp and bleed the PS to make that component change, but you might also forget to pull the mains cord.
I speak from painful experience.

The other one is making changes to the amp and taking measurements with a guitar strapped round your neck......the strings are a very good earth............I speak from painful experience.

Take it s...l....o.....w....... and everything is fine.

Rgds
Pete