JM wonderland - the final bit of the jigsaw

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: JM wonderland - the final bit of the jigsaw

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:36 pm Very nice, Marcus! What is the configuration you have in there now?
68k /1m is back.

220k dry mixer resistor.

25uF verb cathode cap and 250k send pot

speaker is the classic dumble oval back 2x12 cab with vintage Marshall Celestion G12-65's....they have eminence dust caps on them now though :)

M

p.sI'm still thinking about adding a FET as I have the board and the jfet.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Sounds great Marcus!

-Dan
Oddvar R

Post by Oddvar R »

Is there a way to make the Wonderland into 50w?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Oddvar R wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm Is there a way to make the Wonderland into 50w?
yes, just use a 50w OT and 2x 6L6's instead of 4.

A few people have made 50w versions. Personally I think a clean amp like this should be 100w for the transient response, volume wise there's not much between a 50 and a 100w amp, it's feel /transient response that changes.

M
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I found this thread so interesting that I decided to play around with the .01uf cap across the Reverb SEND pot on my Bloomfield Drive clone.

When I changed it to a .001uf the Reverb got a little more intense but it also got brighter sounding. I switched it back to a .01 uf and the reverb had a little more bass and I preferred this sound. The Reverb was also a little less intense but enough for my needs.

The amp mixes the reverb with a Tweed mixer like the JM does. The amp uses 68k/1M and it uses a 120 K for the Reverb after the mixer and a 68k for the dry.

Thanks Marcus and everyone else for posting!

Guy
tallen11

Post by tallen11 »

Guy77 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:33 am I found this thread so interesting that I decided to play around with the .01uf cap across the Reverb SEND pot on my Bloomfield Drive clone.

When I changed it to a .001uf the Reverb got a little more intense but it also got brighter sounding. I switched it back to a .01 uf and the reverb had a little more bass and I preferred this sound. The Reverb was also a little less intense but enough for my needs.

The amp mixes the reverb with a Tweed mixer like the JM does. The amp uses 68k/1M and it uses a 120 K for the Reverb after the mixer and a 68k for the dry.

Thanks Marcus and everyone else for posting!

Guy
Hey Guy77. I was curious about how you went about cloning the bloomfield drive. Do you have a schematic? I recently built my what I hope is close to a classic reverb signature (minus a few features) if you want to trade :) I've just been going off the JM sig schematic and that CLRS gutshot photo, trying to guess capacitor values based on their relative sizes. No idea how accurate the values are, but the amp sounds decent.
rootz

Post by rootz »

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=45

There is a schematic based on the pictures and reverse engineering Guy did.

The ClRS looks like a Wonderland with some additions to me or am I missing something?
tallen11

Post by tallen11 »

rootz wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:27 am https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=45

There is a schematic based on the pictures and reverse engineering Guy did.

The ClRS looks like a Wonderland with some additions to me or am I missing something?
Thanks for the link, I've been super curious about the Bloomfield Drive. Assumed it was their take on the Bluesmaster, but I'll have to dig into the thread tonight.

I'll have to look more closely at the Wonderland schematic, but I assumed it was essentially just the JM Signature. The CLRS, from what I can tell from gutshots just has different component values in the tonestack area but is very close for the most part to the JM (other than the added features like you said). Like mentioned earlier in this thread, the dry/reverb mixer stage appears to be different to the JM/Wonderland in that the dry signal has no resistor on it. I've been wanting to start a thread on this whenever I've got the time because it's a really cool amp and I'd like to share the schematic I pieced together and get feedback on it and the amp's sound and all that.
ElectronAvalanche

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:59 pm Just to be clear, I've circled the resistor in question on Taylor's JM Wonderland layout (January 2017) and for comparison on Aaron's JM Sig Photo schematic (2012 09 14) showing 205k. Do I understand correctly?
Further down in this thread is a picture of another Two Rock showing a single 68k across the plates, so not separate mixing resistors of 68k and 120k or 220k, but a single 68k. Can anybody explain how this shall work? Is that in essence 68k for the dry signal an 0k for the reverb signal?

If one would like to have identical signals, equal resistor values would be preferred. The higher the value of the resistors the less signal.

Thanks, Electron
imo1

Post by imo1 »

@ norburybrook , I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what the change from the 120k to the 220k does. I have built a couple of this design, and like it quite a bit, but am interested to hear your perceptions of the difference in sound with the shift