Is a 50v Presence cap too small for 100 watt amp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy77

Re: Is a 50v Presence cap too small for 100 watt amp

Post by Guy77 »

jazzbass wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:52 pm Ciao Franco, the way you describe the effect of that trimmer on the PAB is correct. Regarding the final schematic, yes page 4 is the final schematic.

Cheers
Guy
Ciao Gaetano,

Thanks for the reply, I need some advice, I built a Steel String Special (rootz, a great friend) and was wondering if I could use that lay out an equal chassis and boards and with the proper modifications build the other amp?

Thanks, a hug.

P.S. Can I add you as a "friend"?

Franco
[/quote]

Ciao Franco, yes of course you can add me as a "friend".
Which "other amp" did you want to build?

Cheers

Guy (Gaetano)
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Ciao Guy,

the list of amps I've built is relatively large, various Fender tweed clones in particular 5E3s, all three Trainwrecks, several Dumbles including: ODS Robben Ford from a Ceriatone kit modern eagle, #103, ODS #124, ODR Bluesmaster , ODS 2nd gen, four or five Dumble /TwoRock JM/Wonderland, Steel String Special, Dumblator.....and other Dumble clone amps I can't remember. :P
Please answer my second question: can I use rootz's SSS layout as a basis for building the amp? :?:
P.S. Can you tell me how can I add you as a friend? :D

Thanks, a hug

Franco
franco mezzalira
rootz

Post by rootz »

Hi guys!

I think we got the basics of the Bloomfield drive covered in the schematic that is floating around somewhere over here, right Guy? I don’t think we ever did a layout though.

The SSS is another very cool amp. A friend of mine and me recently sold one to Nalle Colt from Vintage Trouble. He did a big part of his European tour with the amp. Apart from a power tube failure, the amp sings like a bird every night.

Next step I’m going to try is a SSS005 front end and reverb paired with an Odyssey power amp. I suspect (but that is a lot of guessing) that should get me close to an 300SL or later SSS amps.

Franco, which SSS layout are you referring to?
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

rootz wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:40 am Hi guys!

I think we got the basics of the Bloomfield drive covered in the schematic that is floating around somewhere over here, right Guy? I don’t think we ever did a layout though.

The SSS is another very cool amp. A friend of mine and me recently sold one to Nalle Colt from Vintage Trouble. He did a big part of his European tour with the amp. Apart from a power tube failure, the amp sings like a bird every night.

Next step I’m going to try is a SSS005 front end and reverb paired with an Odyssey power amp. I suspect (but that is a lot of guessing) that should get me close to an 300SL or later SSS amps.

Franco, which SSS layout are you referring to?
Hi rootz, I'm referring to the schematic you sent me and the relative layout that I put in the attachments.
a hug

Franco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franco mezzalira
rootz

Post by rootz »

Ah that's the Steel String Special. FYI that is a Wonderland with a number of tweaks. Layout and schematics are not exactly the same but both work 100%. There's a lot of places where you can fine tune this design to your taste. Feedback value, tone stack (classic or skyliner, you could even do a Bluesmaster clean), resistive divider after V1b, etc.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

That Steel String Special has my favorite feature rootz. The 68K resistor feeding the reverb! I am sure it sounds great!
Hi Franco I am not sure how to add someone as a friend on this forum but you can always private message me here if you like.

Cheers
Guy
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

rootz wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:44 pm Ah that's the Steel String Special. FYI that is a Wonderland with a number of tweaks. Layout and schematics are not exactly the same but both work 100%. There's a lot of places where you can fine tune this design to your taste. Feedback value, tone stack (classic or skyliner, you could even do a Bluesmaster clean), resistive divider after V1b, etc.
ciao rootz,

ha, if I had the knowledge that you certainly have your project could be so many things but......... :lol:

un abbraccio, Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Guy77 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:55 am That Steel String Special has my favorite feature rootz. The 68K resistor feeding the reverb! I am sure it sounds great!
Hi Franco I am not sure how to add someone as a friend on this forum but you can always private message me here if you like.

Cheers
Guy
Ciao Guy77,

I guarantee you it sounds great :D , when I come back from holiday in Greece I want to build a "Bloomfield", I hope the scheme is enough for me.... :roll:
Have any of you tried to build it?

A hug,

A hug, Franco
franco mezzalira
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

jazzbass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:45 am
Guy77 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:55 am That Steel String Special has my favorite feature rootz. The 68K resistor feeding the reverb! I am sure it sounds great!

Cheers
Guy
Ciao Guy77,

I guarantee you it sounds great :D , when I come back from holiday in Greece I want to build a "Bloomfield", I hope the scheme is enough for me.... :roll:
Have any of you tried to build it?

A hug,

A hug, Franco
Ciao Franco. I am actually building something similar to it right now. I had to change a few things to make it my own since this is a production amp for me. I have silkscreened chassis and board sets and I can sell you a set if you like. You can send me a private message if you are interested.
20230801_220507.jpg
Cheers
Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi everyone,

some time ago I downloaded PDF about JM OD, I don't remember where or who uploaded it. Can you be helpful in this discussion?

A hug,

Franco
franco mezzalira
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

jazzbass wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:51 am Hi everyone,

some time ago I downloaded PDF about JM OD, I don't remember where or who uploaded it. Can you be helpful in this discussion?

A hug,

Franco
Hi Franco. I actually like to use the diagram you posted to wire my Rock/Jazz and Mid Boost switch on the amp I previously posted a picture of on this page.

Ciao
Guy
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Ciao Gaetano,

Do you remember who inserted that layout on TAG? maybe he recorded some little demos that would be useful to understand how it sounds.

A hug

Franco
franco mezzalira
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

jazzbass wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:20 pm Ciao Gaetano,

Do you remember who inserted that layout on TAG? maybe he recorded some little demos that would be useful to understand how it sounds.

A hug

Franco
Ciao Franco. I found the original thread that contained that layout.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=15

Cheers
Guy