VHT D-50 Mod Journey

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: VHT D-50 Mod Journey

Post by Reeltarded »

erwin_ve wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 am Hi Miles,

I looked at your pics. Something to tinker with is the v2 cathodes to ground. You have them connected at the PI ground.
Move them to the v1 cathode junction to ground.
Soundwise it is subtle, less weird overtones. Ymmv.

Erwin
Replaced the wiring V1-V2.

Sadly, the David Lindley left with the bad wire. I'm going to push the wires around a little and see if I can lose some of that smoothness it gained. I'm a little sad. :) It was rippin!!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bwest

Post by bwest »

Swapped the 10n cap input to OD section with 2.2n - like how it is less fuzzy / bassy now and if you want that fuzzier sound you can still find it by turning up the back panel OD (input to v2a) and down v2b.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Reeltarded wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:51 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 am Hi Miles,

I looked at your pics. Something to tinker with is the v2 cathodes to ground. You have them connected at the PI ground.
Move them to the v1 cathode junction to ground.
Soundwise it is subtle, less weird overtones. Ymmv.

Erwin
Replaced the wiring V1-V2.

Sadly, the David Lindley left with the bad wire. I'm going to push the wires around a little and see if I can lose some of that smoothness it gained. I'm a little sad. :) It was rippin!!
Lol too much smoothness: lower the snubber caps as per original
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Snubbers plopped. It's very interesting. As a switching amp, pretty danged good. As a single channel amp.. uhh maybe stunning.. pretty good.

You were right. David Lindley restored. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:55 pm Snubbers plopped. It's very interesting. As a switching amp, pretty danged good. As a single channel amp.. uhh maybe stunning.. pretty good.

You were right. David Lindley restored. :)
great to hear David is back and 20yrs younger after removing the fillers :D
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:lol:

It is not a loud as David Lindley. If I was gong to build one from scratch.. it would be a 100w amp. Needs the headroom to really go.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Done, and somewhat amazing. Here is how it ended up.

Most of the pots are replaced. Resistors from Jelle. EH preamp tubes. All signal caps replaced. It's not compliant with any particular Dumble amp, but has values from known schematics or discussions.

Preamp is 183 except bass and mid caps swapped to .022u. Tone pots are Marshall values. I limited a 10k pot to 2.199k for pres. I killed the LNFB.

It's really good with humbuckers and there is not a more balanced amp for Strats. It's weirdly even across the pickups. Weirdly. Robin Trower would use his pickup selector weird. That's how weird. Lovely.

The biggest thing I got out of this experience is the use of the construction style. I like the board.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Pictures, or it didn't happen. :D
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

This finished the amp

Heyboer Marshall (Fender) style 50w OT. 3k9. Amp isn't a (bad) toy.

The clean hangs out after bouncing like a ball. The volume difference was going from injured Deluxe Reverb to 70w Park. The headroom went up 5 floors.

I clipped the LNFB and reality lives in the World. The choice of LNFB early in a circuit says "I just don't care about the texture or gain.". Yuck.
573BD9B1-5A7B-41CE-AC91-CEF7A491E623.png

Disclaimer: This image is not the finished version. This is before rerouting all the tube side wiring and cleaning off the non-lead solder that turns to metal curds when mixed on purpose to remove.
36BB1D6A-8369-49D8-8C83-2C0642202963.jpeg
Or, as Dave always says:
9B32540F-F995-4FEC-BB8F-80882CB98F78.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:05 am This finished the amp

Heyboer Marshall (Fender) style 50w OT. 3k9. Amp isn't a (bad) toy.

The clean hangs out after bouncing like a ball. The volume difference was going from injured Deluxe Reverb to 70w Park. The headroom went up 5 floors.

I clipped the LNFB and reality lives in the World. The choice of LNFB early in a circuit says "I just don't care about the texture or gain.". Yuck.

573BD9B1-5A7B-41CE-AC91-CEF7A491E623.png

Disclaimer: This image is not the finished version. This is before rerouting all the tube side wiring and cleaning off the non-lead solder that turns to metal curds when mixed on purpose to remove.
36BB1D6A-8369-49D8-8C83-2C0642202963.jpeg

Or, as Dave always says:

9B32540F-F995-4FEC-BB8F-80882CB98F78.jpeg
Did all orange drops just end up, by coincidence, with their written side facing in the same direction after their outside foils were connected to the low impedance side? If so, I'd never seen that happen for caps where the outer foil was not marked at the factory. If you didn't pay attention to orientation of the caps, there is a chance that you may prefer the sound of your amp if you do.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Older orange drop models used to be marked correctly in the factories, but someone, somewhere decided to give up that process. Newer orange drops don't have this luxury. I've tested many and found them to be very inconsistent/random.

Personally I've built several amps paying attention to outer foil, and stopped because I couldn't tell a massive difference from those I hadn't. My guess is it probably makes a lot more sense on a HiFi amp than a guitar one... unless you only play the amp at very low volumes and ONLY play clean tones... maybe MAYBE you'll notice the difference then. Or maybe I'm just deaf.
Edit: first sentence seemed confusing.
~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Every cap tested and marked!

I didn't get to choose series. Bought from AES. Not all values stocked per series.

Final pics when I swap treb/mid pots tomorrow.
bepone

Post by bepone »

it is easy also to remove residual MOX resistors from the grids and cathodes :)
samtech60

Post by samtech60 »

So did VHT actually base this on a 102 or a 183? I was considering buying for a mod ?
neskor

Post by neskor »

almost identical to 183