Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ijedouglas

Bonamassa 50W ODS gut shot

Post by ijedouglas »

JB posted earlier on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVG-HbFsep1/
245887318_654928592156919_8771184450486527192_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
norburybrook

Re: Bonamassa 50W ODS gut shot

Post by norburybrook »

:mrgreen: love the quote....'things you don't want to see at 7:03 on show day1''

I concur....

Looks like one of my amps with the F&T's :)

M
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Looks like three of the four cathode caps have been replaced.
Trimpot in the Presence/Accent circuit as well.

Aaron
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:59 am Looks like three of the four cathode caps have been replaced.

Aaron
Yes, I can see all bypass capacitors, supply capacitors, bias and relays capacitors changed, the trimpot on the OD, the .1uF 6PS on the LTPI changed to a yellow cap. There is an odd ceramic cap going from the supply board to a power tube, probably for standby pop
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

Bombacaototal wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:45 am
Aaron wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:59 am Looks like three of the four cathode caps have been replaced.

Aaron
Yes, I can see all bypass capacitors, supply capacitors, bias and relays capacitors changed, the trimpot on the OD, the .1uF 6PS on the LTPI changed to a yellow cap. There is an odd ceramic cap going from the supply board to a power tube, probably for standby pop
I thought it was an MOV (surge protector). He had issues on tour with his Dumble but could be the Don not this one so maybe it was a fix for those issues ?

Looks like a low plate classic amp.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

mojotom wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:36 am
Bombacaototal wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:45 am

Aaron
I thought it was an MOV (surge protector). He had issues on tour with his Dumble but could be the Don not this one so maybe it was a fix for those issues ?

Looks like a low plate classic amp.
Interesting, could well be, so where does the ceramic cap connect?

One thing which is puzzling me too is the purple trim pot next to the .1uF on the PI. Could be a presence trim pot, but he also has a pot on the accent in the front panel. Maybe he changed the gnfb to a trim pot?
bepone

Post by bepone »

with this nice added Accent knob, price jumped min. 100.000 .. :P
bepone

Post by bepone »

p.s. replies in inst. are the best :mrgreen:
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

I think that ceramic cap is the MOV.

Trim should be in serie with a resistor acting as a variable feedback R as seen on those early ODS 4th Gen.

Screen resistors looked a little toasted too.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

uhh the amp is the most trashed dumble i have ever seen.. Joe buys deals.. promotes them, and sells them.. he started a group of buyers to play the songbirds scam..

I thought everyone knew this.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm uhh the amp is the most trashed dumble i have ever seen.. Joe buys deals.. promotes them, and sells them.. he started a group of buyers to play the songbirds scam..

I did not know that, but looking at the gutshot it sure looks like a poor job was done on the re-cap / repair of this amp. Nothing that can't be fixed though.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

mojotom wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:10 pm I think that ceramic cap is the MOV.

Trim should be in serie with a resistor acting as a variable feedback R as seen on those early ODS 4th Gen.

Yeah I think you are right as it being MOV. I will reaserch to find out how it is connected

Interesting re the gbfb. I will check some 4th gen amps.. usually what is the value of the resistor and the trim pot?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Bombacaototal wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 pm
mojotom wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:10 pm I think that ceramic cap is the MOV.

Yeah I think you are right as it being MOV. I will reaserch to find out how it is connected

Interesting re the gbfb. I will check some 4th gen amps.. usually what is the value of the resistor and the trim pot?
I don't see a resistor there. They may just have a 5K trimmer in place of the resistor which would give them ample range on that value. I haven't seen that in any other amps so I'm guessing it wasn't a HAD mod.
Ian
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm uhh the amp is the most trashed dumble i have ever seen.. Joe buys deals.. promotes them, and sells them.. he started a group of buyers to play the songbirds scam..

Hmmm, what is so trashed about the amp? F&T caps, everybody uses them, radial bypass, they work just the same as axial. The trimmer next to the PI cap is stock and probably 500 ohm. They probably just turned it all the way down and added a pot on the front(to replace the accent switch). I also believe the yellow tubular in the PI is stock, Dumble used those. Not crazy about the added goop, most Low Plate Classics I have seen were not gooped.
CW
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You ever just get a feeling? It's trashy. Something about this amp..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.