Troubleshooting Low-Output in tube preamp pedal

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cgmason1986

Troubleshooting Low-Output in tube preamp pedal

Post by cgmason1986 »

I've built a few of these now - original thread here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34715

My latest build is having an issue with low output. It won't get much above unity. I have a working one that I can compare things with. I've checked voltages in a bunch of places from my layout/schematic-ish drawing I've made - image attached (red is from working preamp and pencil is from low-output preamp) and they all seem to be very close. I've tried swapping tubes but that didn't do anything. Any ideas what to check?

I'm attaching a picture of my layout/schematic-ish drawing with voltages, a picture of the guts, and the original amp schematic I based it on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Re: Troubleshooting Low-Output in tube preamp pedal

Post by bepone »

things not clear/wrong;
1. voltage on pin 7, -something, must be 0
2. voltage on pin 8, 0.4V, must be over 1.2V
3. what is this in series with pin 6, 22k? doesnt matter too much but why is there?
4. why 1Mohm resistor in series with the output 1M potentiometer, remove it immediately and you will have some gain recovered

layout is difficult to follow, it is not helping to find the problem / in the tone stack circuit=?/

points 1 and 2 must be cleared to proceed.