#40 resistor choice

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Richard1001

Re: #40 resistor choice

Post by Richard1001 »

If i had to use a terminal, i think i would use something else. But i would most likely find a way around using a terminal strip. I am very cautious when wiring mains voltages.

Here is an example of how i wired one of my amps. Since dpst mains switch is mandatory in my country, it is easy to wire both transformers after the switch and fuse behind the switch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Nice looking build.
I just read through the last many posts…
I know it’s too late to be relevant, but with regard to cutting metal,
I discovered using a circular saw with the blade in backwards worked amazingly well for cutting old corrugated metal roofing—cut through it smooth, like butter.
I wonder if this would work as well with sheet metal, possibly on table saw?
I honestly don’t know enough to be aware of the limits of this technique.
I apologize for the untimely derailing post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

fred.violleau wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:51 pm
EDIT: I am talking about the red and blue wire connected onto the terminal lug. These are feeding the PT for the relays, and I would connect the power transformer for the amp here as well. It would help make the maintenance (change of transformer) easier. If needed.
check from the other side how much is the clearance from the bottom of the terminal to the chassis, 5mm is ok.. you can lift terminal lug with as of a few washers from below, to gain some extra clearance. after soldering, you can paint the terminal with the nail varnish, few layers to avoid direct touching (steal from wife)
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

@Richard1001 yup I want to be cautious with the mains wiring as well, hence my question. In this build I chose to use a single 3 position switch that does off, standby and On. So I only have 2 SPST available. I realize there is always some improvisation in a build.

@brewdude, it is never too late to share good insights. Do you remember the name/brand of the tool you refer to?

@bepone, thanks for confirming and adding a layer (of nail varnish) to the security settings ;)

Fred.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Not the prettiest job, but it should work properly and I have a good clearance under the terminal.
PXL_20220107_165751627.jpg
PXL_20220107_165607665.jpg
Fred.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Quick question : on #40 layout, bias calls a 3k3 droping resistor.
I will be using a Fender A-036958 PT with a 60V bias output winding.
On Xtian's HRD to ODS conversion schematic he uses a 1k5 droping resistor but he's also using the 60V supply to power the relays.

What value would you suggest for the dropping resistor on the bias circuit ?

Thanks,

Fred.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

PXL_20220128_010731668.jpg
Power section almost completed. This build is moving slower than I wished, but the journey is a lot of fun!

Fred.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Build is complete, engaging firing sequence.
PXL_20220205_202916326.jpg
Fred.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Looks great Fred! Good luck with the smoke test.

-Dan
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Wow super happy with the build. Nothing burned or smelled bad, everything worked right from the start... It is my first build without trouble shooting anything.

I need to check the voltages, because I seem to be on the low end. And the PT gets very hot after two hours of playing. Poor Hot Rod Deluxe PT may not be up to the task... We'll see how it goes. Wil report all voltages tomorrow PM.

So far cleans are rich and vibrant, very fendery, gorgeous tone with a modern Strat or the Les Paul. Overdrive is meaty and grinding, different than the later ODS, less smooth, a bit rawer, but it has great quality to it. Played loud for two hours and did not get ear fatigue. 200pf on the bright switch is great for a Les Paul, but a tad too much for a Strat IMO. I have not played with the accent switch yet. I did not put it in the front panel, but this build seems to be on the dark side, so I might leave it on..

This is definitely a keeper and build to have.

Thanks again Tony and TAG community or all the info and the great layout, and thanks CW for those Dale resistors, I feel very grateful to have completed this one !

Cheers,,

Fred.
Last edited by fred.violleau on Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bepone

Post by bepone »

fred.violleau wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:40 pm Build is complete, engaging firing sequence.

PXL_20220205_202916326.jpg

Fred.
nice!! enjoy in the amp!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Congrats Fred! I am too very happy for you... 8)

May having an ON/OFF/ON bright switch with two different caps be an option?
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

@Chopsauce yes, but I ran out of those.. so for now it's only ON OFF, but I will switch it as soon as I place an order at mouser ;)

@bepone thanks!

Will try and record a small clip this afternoon.
For now it is family time with the kids.

Cheers,

Fred
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Here are a few clips... Beware it was done with the phone so audio quality is not that good.

With a Strat:
https://youtu.be/zJFCs70jYdc

With a Les Paul :
https://youtu.be/SCj0J5j1L_Q

Now I will put this baby back on the bench and check the voltages

Fred.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Fantastic! Congrats!
Ian