Donor Hod Rod Deluxe is now a Non-HRM

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stanz

Donor Hod Rod Deluxe is now a Non-HRM

Post by Stanz »

Been lurking here a while. I just took my NON-HRM Fender Hot Rod Deluxe conversion for a test drive and all I can say is

WOO HOO!!! :D :D :D

Damn, I see what all the fuss is about. This would be the third amp I have built, a 5E3, an AC15 and now an ODS non-HRM. I had a nasty RF buzz that was driving me nuts for the last week, but a post form Bob-I talked about 100 ohm resistors at the end of the heater chain due to no center tap. Nailed it. Thanks. I think I ripped half the amp apart looking for a ground loop. I used heisthl's "MusicMan" layout as a guide figuring it was a similar conversion. The chassis front panel layout was pretty close. The only thing that is off is that the reverb pot is now the ratio pot.

So this is now my ringer amp. :wink: I might end up calling it the Millenium Falcon, "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

I kept the trannies, chassis, and cabnet from the HRD. I also rebuilt the bias and relay supplies from the original amp figuring they were matched fot the PT. It now has a G1265 speaker.

The clean tones are really nice and I am really amazed at the diversity of tones I can get out of it. I will post some pictures and sound clips later.

A big thanks to all who have contributed their experience and knowledge here, very impressive. So now what amp should I do next, to HRM or not HRM, that is the question.
Tavda3172

Re: Donor Hod Rod Deluxe is now a Non-HRM

Post by Tavda3172 »

Congrats! I was thinking of gutting a Blues DeVille I have lying around. I think you might be my inspiration to give it an overhaul. Can't wait for the pics. I would give the HRM a try. Keep up the good work.
-Kevin