Troubleshooting reverb circuit - solved

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stephen1966

Troubleshooting reverb circuit - solved

Post by Stephen1966 »

Here's an adjunct to my build - the Skyliner with reverb: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34774

I have pretty much got the core of the amp - the clean and the OD - singing now. The clean channel has a very low sound floor, sustain, bloom, all there after playing with lead dress and some different component choices. That part of it is good to go and sounding great.

I have been playing around with reverb because I am getting something like a 50Hz AC hum whenever I turn up the Return pot beyond about 25%. This is amplified by the Master of course so testing this with the Master at a nominal 50% the hum starts to become apparent at around 25% on the Return. The Level pot controlling the amount of reverb works fine, is quiet, and has all the range of delay I need all the way to 100%. In the beginning it also had a HF component to the noise like white noise which with a couple of component changes was fixed. The tank is oriented in relation to the PT correctly, the LF hum is present with or without the tank hooked up though.

Things I've tried so far:
  • Scoping the traces.
  • Pulling the tubes.
  • Tapping components listening for any microphonics.
  • Adjusting component sizes.
  • Lead dress.
  • Relocating the reverb board grounds.
  • Playing with the shielding of the reverb tubes
Scoping the traces
I couldn't locate the frequency of the noise with FFT. I get something like a small 150Hz spike but this is visible even when the probe is not connected. The scope is down to its minimum setting and probes on x1 for components after the coupling caps and x10 for the HV points. Likewise, I used the DMM to check that I wasn't getting any DC leakage from the caps - none, or at least just a few uV - nothing significant.

Pulling tubes
Pulling V5 (the mixer) eradicates the noise. Also tried swapping the mixer and recovery tubes with another 12AX7 but this didn't have any real effect - the 12AX7 was slightly noisier with a HF whitenoise. Didn't try pulling the driver (V3) or the recovery tubes (V4) but I did roll the recovery tube, with no difference.

Tapping components
I had been through the whole amp anyway as part of the earlier tuning, had found a couple of dry solder solder joints and replaced a bad cap in the PI, and on the cap leading to the Return pot (C64) heard a microphonic "thud". Replaced the cap and no difference.

Adjusting component sizes
Focusing on the recovery tube (V4), I had replaced the 1.2Meg snubbing/biasing resistor in the delta net at the plates for a Piher CF and this had reduced the HF component of the noise. It was further reduced (fixed) when I replaced the 22k grid resistor with a 220k. In my opinion, the tone is more 3D with a richer harmonic content with the 220k. These didn't affect the LF hum though.

Lead dress
I've repeatedly chopsticked the leads and tried separating and moving all the leads on the tube side and the pots side - no effect on the hum, during or after.

Relocating the reverb board grounds

Looking at the grounds, which (in the #060) I am convinced lead from the board to the isolated can cap case and then on to the first ground point near the input jack, I tried disconnecting these from the can and using an alligator clip lead attaching them to the first ground point. I understand can caps can be noisy, this one has its case isolated as well but it didn't make any difference if the rvb board grounds were attached via the case to GND1 or directly to GND1.

Playing with the shielding of the reverb tubes

Made no difference. I only recently saw photos from the bottom of the #060 chassis and thinking of the different orientation of the reverb transformer I am using, I listened for any difference with the tube shields on and off. None.

That I can't identify the frequency of the humming noise is annoying and could be down to my inexperience with the scope but it sounds like 50Hz. The heater wires are all in good condition and moving them around made no difference either. The only time I could make the hum stop was when I shorted the output side of the Return pot (the wiper) to the bus bar ground. So even if I haven't been able to correctly identify the source of the hum yet, it is definitely in the rvb circuit.

Presently, as long as the Return pot isn't turned up beyond 25% I could live with it and use the amp fine, but it is not much use with this limited range. The only thoughts I have now are directed towards the dry side of the signal and the mixing resistors on that side of the circuit. I've seen several evolutions of the reverb circuit but nothing quite like the #060 so it's hard to say if these have any bearing on the noise being generated. I seem to recall somewhere, I saw the output side of the mixer (V5) with a more isolated LNFB resistor in parallel with the mixing resistor. This isn't in the #060 though, so it's only a hunch that this will filter out any AC hum coming from the plate B+ in that location. It's coming via a coupling cap if it is, so there is little (if any) DC component to it. I'm just not sure that altering this part of the circuit would make any difference to the hum. A higher value resistor in a parallel LNFB net would certainly affect reduce the gain of that stage and that might be what it needs. However, it is a completely untested theory here.

I am stumped. Is it possible this is what the amp does anyway? That I am chasing problems that don't exist? Any advice/insight will be gratefully received - as always. Thanks

Stephen

Reverb circuit - Skyliner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen1966 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
mojotom

Re: Troubleshooting reverb circuit

Post by mojotom »

Did you use isolated RCA connectors ?

If not that could be something to try.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

mojotom wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:41 pm Did you use isolated RCA connectors ?

If not that could be something to try.
I didn't - you could be right. But I don't think the the #060 did either though.

Scan0001 (9).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Make sure it's not the electromagnetic field of the PT interacting with the reverb pan could and making it hum. An easy way to test is to plug with the pan out of the shell
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:29 pm Make sure it's not the electromagnetic field of the PT interacting with the reverb pan could and making it hum. An easy way to test is to plug with the pan out of the shell
At present, the amp is sitting in the cradle and the reverb pan is about 8" away. This is happening when the pan is not hooked up though with no apparent change to the intensity or pitch (frequency) of the hum. I'm going to try recording it. My phone is really crap but I might be able to pick it up using its mic. Also, thought of the LED lighting I have in the workspace. Tried it in daylight with no lights, nothing non-essential switched on - no change. Power is being regulated with a variac sitting at the end of the bench about 2' away - no sign that is contributing when it is dead quiet on the clean channel.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Maybe you have tried this already but have you placed a cap across the reverb return pot, pin 1 to 3?
Something in the 0.01uf range to start with.

Cheers
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Could be heater noise? Are you using an artificial CT?
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
talbany

Post by talbany »

After you have exhausted everything I would Try using an 80‘s/90‘s Beijing Chinese Military Square Getter Triple-Mica 12AX7
The sonic hallmarks of this 12AX7 are extreme clarity and a very low-noise floor. A ruggedly-built tube, the Beijing is perfect for high-gain applications and reverb recovery since it is quiet and very resistant to microphonics.

This is what I used in my SSS (After trying just about everything) helped reduce the noise floor in my SSS noticeably.
Do both reverb recovery and mixer sections :wink:
12AX.jpg
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Like Tony mentioned, I'd try replacing one by one, a tubes in the reverb circuit. I had a horrible hum on my 002 and turned out to be a bad tube
talbany

Post by talbany »

As a little side note as well
Back when I was at VVT Amps (12 years ago) we would buy ECC-83's by the case's JJ's (I think it was 50) To get the deal we had to order at least 100 at a time. We had a tester that let you audibly hear the noise floor of each tube as it's being tested. Roughly 1/3 of those tubes were unusable due to noise alone!.( I believe Gary at Glaswerks also had a similar fail rate at the time)
All the tubes we tested had some level of noise, some were just worse than others. Anytime you start loading up an amp with more accessories like reverb recovery/EFX loops/mixers w/ more gain stages, it doesn't matter, even if you did everything correctly your always? always! adding more noise into your signal path. 002 has a total of 7 with 5 in the preamp section :D
BTW. If I had to guess I imagine quality control on 12AX's are even worse now :lol:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:14 am Could be heater noise? Are you using an artificial CT?
Just catching up here...

Yes, I'm using an artificial CT. This was one of the problems I identified and fixed earlier. It now follows the #124 layout...

124 CT.jpg
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Guy77 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:06 am Maybe you have tried this already but have you placed a cap across the reverb return pot, pin 1 to 3?
Something in the 0.01uf range to start with.

Cheers
No I haven't tried that yet. My understanding is that this would create something like a high cut/low pass filter. I think have the higher frequencies under control - are you saying this can minimise the low frequency hum as well? I guess I would be using something like on the OD (V2): a ceramic cap. X5F? Pins 1 and 3 are on the outbound side of the tube.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

talbany wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:28 am After you have exhausted everything I would Try using an 80‘s/90‘s Beijing Chinese Military Square Getter Triple-Mica 12AX7
The sonic hallmarks of this 12AX7 are extreme clarity and a very low-noise floor. A ruggedly-built tube, the Beijing is perfect for high-gain applications and reverb recovery since it is quiet and very resistant to microphonics.

This is what I used in my SSS (After trying just about everything) helped reduce the noise floor in my SSS noticeably.
Do both reverb recovery and mixer sections :wink:
12AX.jpg
Tony
Thanks Tony, I rolled the recovery and mixer tubes with a EH 12AX7 (I have JJ in there at the moment) and the JJ was marginally quieter, though not enough to make a difference unfortunately. I just tried a quick search for the Chinese 12AX7 but they look like history. There might be avenues to them on ebay, I will check it out later.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:30 am Like Tony mentioned, I'd try replacing one by one, a tubes in the reverb circuit. I had a horrible hum on my 002 and turned out to be a bad tube
Sure, I tried that as well. First port of call as it were. Unfortunately, unless I have bad spares as well, the fault lies in the circuit either in a component or by design.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

talbany wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:00 am As a little side note as well
Back when I was at VVT Amps (12 years ago) we would buy ECC-83's by the case's JJ's (I think it was 50) To get the deal we had to order at least 100 at a time. We had a tester that let you audibly hear the noise floor of each tube as it's being tested. Roughly 1/3 of those tubes were unusable due to noise alone!.( I believe Gary at Glaswerks also had a similar fail rate at the time)
All the tubes we tested had some level of noise, some were just worse than others. Anytime you start loading up an amp with more accessories like reverb recovery/EFX loops/mixers w/ more gain stages, it doesn't matter, even if you did everything correctly your always? always! adding more noise into your signal path. 002 has a total of 7 with 5 in the preamp section :D
BTW. If I had to guess I imagine quality control on 12AX's are even worse now :lol:

Tony
Interesting! I've been made aware of the noise added by the ascending gain stages - My amp has 10 tubes with six in the preamp section. Not having the resources to buy anything in bulk like that, I have a "selected" 12AY7. I am thinking that if the hum is simply a feature of the design then a way to mitigate it might be to use a lower gain tube, in the recovery section (V4) like the 12AY7 (mu of 40) and see where that gets me. I saw that in the #060 MrD was using 7025s which I have in my CL and OD sections (no complaints there). As I said, these are JJ 12AX7s at the moment and though marginally quieter it still sounds like an AC hum.

What do you think of this idea for chasing down rogue components. I could place a lead on the input of the PI and working from the entrance of the rvb (avoiding the HT areas around plates) follow the signal path to see where the hum starts. Do you think it would be effective for routing the signal from the entrance to the PI (bypassing any later stage with a faulty component)?
Last edited by Stephen1966 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu