Your thoughts? Overdrive Special as a Pedal Platform

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Chris Brown

Your thoughts? Overdrive Special as a Pedal Platform

Post by Chris Brown »

On another thread Gil Ayan mentioned some comments Vertex Effects had made about Dumble amps as a pedal platform and Dumble saying that his amps aren't meant for pedals. My first thought was the Henry Kaiser video :D

Generally I am just an amp+reverb/delay guy, but my amps have performed well with everything I can throw at them. I have had nothing but great experiences with od/fuzz/comp/envelope/univibe etc etc into the front of my builds. Also, we all know that with a Dumbleator, the time based stuff in the loop also sounds fantastic. Side note, I have been running a strymon volante in the loop of my 50W 102 with no Dumbleator and it's great.

What do y'all think?

I posted a comment on the video and in their reply they seem convinced that these amps don't play well with pedals, as you can see:

Capture.PNG

Is this marketing? Are they missing something? Am I missing something?

Have any of you come across something that works well with other amps, but just doesn't do it's thing with an Overdrive Special?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
▶ YouTube: BirdsnakeBrown
▶ Instagram: BirdsnakeBrown
martin manning

Re: Your thoughts? Overdrive Special as a Pedal Platform

Post by martin manning »

Vertex mentions Robben Ford using a Zendrive. He put that in front of the clean channel per a Premier Guitar "Rig Rundown" from a couple of years ago. RF goes over his whole pedal board in that episode; worth a watch. I can see where HAD wouldn't like to see someone putting an OD pedal in front of an ODS... that would be like putting catsup on filet mignon, no?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

There is a video where Robben explains his transition from using the Dumblelator and outboard effects and the built-in OD channel to just using the Clean channel and then Zendrive, HoF, and Strymon delay.

In support of this, it is my experience that the OD in the 102 circuit does not get along well with the HoF2 Reverb. You get odd artifacts on the end of the note. Robben does state that when he's in the studio, he will use the amp's overdrive and no pedals.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Normally and in most instances I use my pedalboard into any generation ODS while running the clean channel only works like a champ!. The problem comes in when using the OD off the pedalboard.Since some pedals are buffered w/ no true bypass (ex.Tube Screamers)alters the input impedance of the amp (and some cases flips the phase). This for me changes the feel and breakup character and compresses the OD side. It's not horrible I just prefer the natural input impedance direct off the guitar. I've tried using a seperate true bypass switch box on the board works but involves more tap dancing which can be a pain at times :evil: It also depends on the gig!. I find for some gigs pedals work better for me in smaller rooms and low volumes are required and ditch the OD side. If the room is good size and I can run the amp up I prefer to run straight in (impedance wise) and the time based effects along with the D-Lator on the back end and use the OD inside the amp :D

(Time based effects don't work on the front end when going from clean to OD due to the change in gain structure. It screws with the mix)

That's my story and am stickin to it

BTW.Low Plate Classic is my weapon of choice with pedals only.
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ayan

Post by ayan »

Chris Brown wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:41 pm On another thread Gil Ayan mentioned some comments Vertex Effects had made about Dumble amps as a pedal platform and Dumble saying that his amps aren't meant for pedals. My first thought was the Henry Kaiser video :D

Generally I am just an amp+reverb/delay guy, but my amps have performed well with everything I can throw at them. I have had nothing but great experiences with od/fuzz/comp/envelope/univibe etc etc into the front of my builds. Also, we all know that with a Dumbleator, the time based stuff in the loop also sounds fantastic. Side note, I have been running a strymon volante in the loop of my 50W 102 with no Dumbleator and it's great.

What do y'all think?

I posted a comment on the video and in their reply they seem convinced that these amps don't play well with pedals, as you can see:

Capture.PNG

Is this marketing? Are they missing something? Am I missing something?

Have any of you come across something that works well with other amps, but just doesn't do it's thing with an Overdrive Special?

Mason needs no introduction for reasons that I believe are known to at least most everyone here. Even if we were to not hold anything he's ever done in the past against his credibility, I sometimes get the feeling this man lives in an parallel universe. The claims made in the video in question and the response to Chris' comment basically contradict my experiences, as well as those of everyone else I know. Is it marketing? Mason's past shenanigans were all about marketing, right? How about this other video, by the theatrical, self proclaimed rig doctor:

clown.jpg

Maybe he has a great sense of humor and enjoys fooling people by making them think he's being serious about stuff like this? Who knows. Another crown jewel of his is the The Secret to Clapton's 80s Tone video. He picks EC's "Forever Man" off the Behind the Sun album, which was recorded in 1985. That was the last year EC used his actual Blackie guitar through a Marshall JCM800. In the video, Mason talks about the tone of the signature Strat with Lace Sensors, a couple of Bradshaw racks and two Soldano SLOs, which as far as I know would not be adopted until a year later. He describes the SLOs as scooped sounding amps... OK, what's in an adjective after all, right? The rest of the video conveniently concludes that, irrespective of whatever equipment was used on that EC album (either the million dollar Strat and the Marshall, or the $100K rig and a prototype signature guitar), a couple of his pedals, for example, will get you there. Marketing?

For those who use ODSs as pedal platforms, I have historically done what Tony described and put my entire pedalboard in front of the amp's clean channel. That has worked really well for me and unless the volume can be turned up enough, I prefer the pedals -- smoother at lower volumes, but with a lot less headroom and the sound can sometimes get too squashed. One other thing that I stumbled on by accident, and that can be done to make the sound a bit smoother in the top end and with less lower mids -- my amps are Skyliners -- is to basically dial the clean channel the "normal" way, whatever that is for you. Then, switch to the OD channel with the "Level" (or "Drive"control) barely cracked open to where you can get enough volume out of the amp. It sounds really, really good, super smooth in an EJ kind of way, and the amp still takes the time based effect on the front without messing things up. I have never used this setting on a gig before, but I'll give it a try on Sunday during sound check and if it goes well, during my band's show too -- kind of looking forward to seeing if it works at loud volumes.

Last but not least, and not to highjack this thread, the other day I stumbled on this video. I think this amp sounds super cool, talked to Tony about it and neither one of us knows either the builder or the owner. About as good as anything else I've heard, to be honest:

https://youtu.be/u3dsJGgKM3Y?t=112

G.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

One other thing that I stumbled on by accident, and that can be done to make the sound a bit smoother in the top end and with less lower mids -- my amps are Skyliners -- is to basically dial the clean channel the "normal" way, whatever that is for you. Then, switch to the OD channel with the "Level" (or "Drive"control) barely cracked open to where you can get enough volume out of the amp. It sounds really, really good, super smooth in an EJ kind of way, and the amp still takes the time based effect on the front without messing things up.
Gil
Sounds like a good idea! Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip and keep me posted on how that works out for you at the gig :)

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Chris Brown

Post by Chris Brown »

ayan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 pm
Last but not least, and not to highjack this thread, the other day I stumbled on this video. I think this amp sounds super cool, talked to Tony about it and neither one of us knows either the builder or the owner. About as good as anything else I've heard, to be honest:

Yowzer! That is one killer sounding amp!!
Chris Brown

Post by Chris Brown »

It looks like rock and mid switches are engaged. He has the input volume and treble up pretty high, od level way down, master way down, and presence at 0. Kind of an unusual setting. I wonder if there is a mv bright cap in there.. my 102 would be too bright at that mv setting.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Chris Brown wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:09 am It looks like rock and mid switches are engaged. He has the input volume and treble up pretty high, od level way down, master way down, and presence at 0. Kind of an unusual setting. I wonder if there is a mv bright cap in there.. my 102 would be too bright at that mv setting.
He quotes a couple of things in the comments section that answer all your questions, Chris:

1. No FX loop in this one. Raw 80's Robben ford style Dumble with no reverb. Takes pedals fine but retains the character of the amp even with pedals. It's a pig of an amp to play through as it's extremely revealing and sensitive to touch but it sounds absolutely amazing if you play well!

2. I actually don't know enough about amps to answer your question, sorry! haha. It's pretty special though, this amp. It has old 70s Bassman transformers in it. I think that adds a lot to the balls of the amp.

3. this amp is super easy to dial in a great sound. EQ: bass -4 mid - 4/5 Treble - 6/7. I keep the input gain low around 3 or 4 at the most. This prevents any fizz. Gain is at around 12 o clock. Master and overdrive volumes only on about 3. Cheers.

4. Yeah, the amp is extremely sensitive to touch and very fast/revealing. Thanks for the compliment. Ah yes I forgot about those. I keep the od trim around 12 o clock. I always have "rock" selected but I leave the bright and mid switches set to stock. I don't really change settings for different guitars. Mostly just set and forget. If I am using od pedals with the amp, sometimes I will turn on the first bright setting on the clean channel. This amp just makes every guitar sound like itself and doesn't require a lot of tweaking.

5. Closer to 102 than the others but still not a direct 100% clone. It's the builders own take on an ods. It's 100 watts 6l6. Old 1975 bassman iron for the transformers. Non HRM. I'm not sure about low plate vs high plate.

Another video of the same amp/player here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOx0lLqgfyw

G.
Chris Brown

Post by Chris Brown »

ayan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:15 am
Chris Brown wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:09 am It looks like rock and mid switches are engaged. He has the input volume and treble up pretty high, od level way down, master way down, and presence at 0. Kind of an unusual setting. I wonder if there is a mv bright cap in there.. my 102 would be too bright at that mv setting.
He quotes a couple of things in the comments section that answer all your questions, Chris:

1. No FX loop in this one. Raw 80's Robben ford style Dumble with no reverb. Takes pedals fine but retains the character of the amp even with pedals. It's a pig of an amp to play through as it's extremely revealing and sensitive to touch but it sounds absolutely amazing if you play well!

2. I actually don't know enough about amps to answer your question, sorry! haha. It's pretty special though, this amp. It has old 70s Bassman transformers in it. I think that adds a lot to the balls of the amp.

3. this amp is super easy to dial in a great sound. EQ: bass -4 mid - 4/5 Treble - 6/7. I keep the input gain low around 3 or 4 at the most. This prevents any fizz. Gain is at around 12 o clock. Master and overdrive volumes only on about 3. Cheers.

4. Yeah, the amp is extremely sensitive to touch and very fast/revealing. Thanks for the compliment. Ah yes I forgot about those. I keep the od trim around 12 o clock. I always have "rock" selected but I leave the bright and mid switches set to stock. I don't really change settings for different guitars. Mostly just set and forget. If I am using od pedals with the amp, sometimes I will turn on the first bright setting on the clean channel. This amp just makes every guitar sound like itself and doesn't require a lot of tweaking.

5. Closer to 102 than the others but still not a direct 100% clone. It's the builders own take on an ods. It's 100 watts 6l6. Old 1975 bassman iron for the transformers. Non HRM. I'm not sure about low plate vs high plate.

Another video of the same amp/player here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOx0lLqgfyw

G.
Damn man, thanks for doing the research for me! Funny enough, I left a comment without digging through for Q&A, and I know better :lol:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

If it’s the Bassman Ten transformers it would be about 525 on the plates. I built an ODRS #060 with those and it sounded great.

Aaron
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

I'm going to take advantage of this topic to say that my FUCHS don't handle pedals so well!
No problem with the delays, ..., in the effects loop.

BUT in front of the amp a lot of overdrive pedals don't sound so good?
I think these pedals are developed on the basis of Fender preamp: does the problem come from there???

I noticed that, in this case, by putting in JAZZ mode, I improve the situation (maybe the rate of medium?).

...if ANDY has any advice...

PS: Both in my ODS30 (in 20W mode with 2 6L6 ... Sylvania Str415 :D ) and my TripeDrive .
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Honestly, I've never heard that our amps "don't take pedals well". Yes, a delay in the loop for sure, but I use OD pedals for certain music that the ODS overdrive doesn't suit as well as I would like.
Many of my customers do the same.... maybe you have your output level too high and your overloading the first stage, which you certainly don't want to do.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

ayan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 pm

G.
I spoke to the guy who played this, this amp was built by a company called Earthling designs in Australia. They did a limited edition run of this amp and not sure if they're producing more.
bepone

Post by bepone »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:01 pm Honestly, I've never heard that our amps "don't take pedals well". Yes, a delay in the loop for sure, but I use OD pedals for certain music that the ODS overdrive doesn't suit as well as I would like.
Many of my customers do the same.... maybe you have your output level too high and your overloading the first stage, which you certainly don't want to do.
? :lol: :lol:
pedals are usually used to overload the first stage, this is their primary function