OD/gain pedal for ODS clone?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luthierwnc

OD/gain pedal for ODS clone?

Post by Luthierwnc »

Hi all, been a while. I'm sprucing up my pedalboard for a homebrewed ODS I built maybe 12 years ago. I think I made seven or eight of them but this is the only one I kept. It started as a 2nd gen and I added back some elements of #102 and added an internal Dumbleator. The FET, Mid-Boost, PAB and OD are all on a four-button floorswitch.

I'd like to add a low-gain OD pedal to the board for a subtle kick when the amp OD settings are too much. Or, I can stack the drive into the 12AX7 OD for that much more. There must be eighty thousand hits telling me what pedals sound like an ODS but precious few about how to make an ODS sound slightly different. I've attached a picture of the current configuration: buffered tuner > boost (for single coils) > wah > Soul Food > Spark Boost (barely on with bass dialed back). That goes to the front of the amp. The chorus, delay and reverb/trem are on a 4-cable system into the D'lator. Right now you can see a Soul Food on the board. It is a good pedal but not a good fit for this amp. My other OD pedals are also Klones. This is a dedicated board so I don't have to make it work for other amp configurations.

If anyone has experience with a drive pedal that adds a good flavor to these amplifiers, I'd like to experiment. I'm musing about something with a bit more mid's but not in the Tube Screamer realm unless they can be dialed-back a bit. Perhaps in the Bluesbreaker family. Thanks for looking and I hope to year from you. Skip
Lindley board.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Re: OD/gain pedal for ODS clone?

Post by martin manning »

One pRetty Famous guy likes a Zendrive.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

A Fulltone OCD stacks nice with a ODS.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Might try a Timmy pedal or build a clone of one.

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/20 ... timmy.html
https://guitarpcb.com/product/t-drive-timmy/

With respect, 10thtx
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

The EP Booster pedal is a great boost for Single coils on this amp.

Cheers
G
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I recently built an Aion Azimuth and like it a lot. Also have a Centura and a J. Rockett Archer gold model. All are different enough to provide nice options.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

gktamps wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:15 pmI recently built an Aion Azimuth and like it a lot.
Translation: Zendrive
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've really liked my soul food (like yours), it's a Klon clone basically but not expensive. I have it dialed up just a bit, not massive drive and it changes the tone a decent amount. I'ts been a while since I used it into both my 183 and 124, but I did enjoy the tone changes.

I also have a Dunlop Way Huge Sound Green Rhino I like but it can muddy it a bit, I have played around with the notching in those little knobs to make it sound how I like it, and that definitely makes it sound more grungey/low fi, not a clean distortion, but still a natural one.

I sometimes use both in clean tones but in ods drive both sound horrid :D I guess stacking 3 gain stages isn't so great there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ayan

Post by ayan »

Luthierwnc wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:24 am Hi all, been a while. I'm sprucing up my pedalboard for a homebrewed ODS I built maybe 12 years ago. I think I made seven or eight of them but this is the only one I kept. It started as a 2nd gen and I added back some elements of #102 and added an internal Dumbleator. The FET, Mid-Boost, PAB and OD are all on a four-button floorswitch.

I'd like to add a low-gain OD pedal to the board for a subtle kick when the amp OD settings are too much. Or, I can stack the drive into the 12AX7 OD for that much more. There must be eighty thousand hits telling me what pedals sound like an ODS but precious few about how to make an ODS sound slightly different. I've attached a picture of the current configuration: buffered tuner > boost (for single coils) > wah > Soul Food > Spark Boost (barely on with bass dialed back). That goes to the front of the amp. The chorus, delay and reverb/trem are on a 4-cable system into the D'lator. Right now you can see a Soul Food on the board. It is a good pedal but not a good fit for this amp. My other OD pedals are also Klones. This is a dedicated board so I don't have to make it work for other amp configurations.

If anyone has experience with a drive pedal that adds a good flavor to these amplifiers, I'd like to experiment. I'm musing about something with a bit more mid's but not in the Tube Screamer realm unless they can be dialed-back a bit. Perhaps in the Bluesbreaker family. Thanks for looking and I hope to year from you. Skip

Lindley board.jpg
This is my small board. I've been using it for years now, either in front of a clean amp -- including my ODS clones -- or with a 4-cable snake with the dirt pedals in front of the amp and the time-based effects through a D-lator and the amp's FX loop. These two Xotic pedals are great. The BB Preamp is very smooth, with a very tight base, and pretty transparent. It works very well on all pickups. The AC Comp is pretty versatile with the three position toggle, but it has a low mid hump that you will not be able to dial out -- it's got a bit of an ODS Skyliner tone stack sound to it. If you like that, great, but to me it's not nearly as transparent as the BB. The AC is best paired with a bridge pickup, humbucker or single coil, IMHO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:36 pm Translation: Zendrive
Oops - yes, I should have clarified.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ayan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:28 pmThis is my small board...
Super tidy!
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

I run a pair of 50 watt ODS amps 99% of the time no effects it's hard to beat the overdrive channels if I want a little extra
the Klon KTR and the Drybell The Engine works well
micropitch 001.JPG
ayan

Post by ayan »

martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:57 pm
ayan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:28 pmThis is my small board...
Super tidy!
Thanks, Martin. Now, after building nine ODS clones and four or five D-lator clones, putting together a pedalboard is a cakewalk! :mrgreen:
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Lots of variables!

Some of what I've got is stolen from Jon Herington's board. He uses Guytrons and Bludotones and relies on Dumble-like internal ODs.. The front-of-amp is mostly clean boosts to shape the tone, get rid of unwanted bass and buffer long cable runs. The ambient stuff goes to the Dumbleator via 4-cables. His advantage is that he doesn't have to hit the sweet-spot in my living room.

We have hole-cards. Without the preamp artifacts these are basically silverface Bassmans -- notoriously hard to make effectively dirty with a single pedal of any kind. With the preamp and mid boosts already on the floor, they are closer to usable dirt. I've spent some time looking at dual drives. There are lots of them these days along with builders who will put whatever you want in the box. The Strymon Sunset and Jetter Gold Standard are front runners but Wampler, Visual Sound, Keeley and plenty more have solid offerings -- some of which have Zendrive circuits.

I'm sure a treble booster won't get it. I borrowed one from my main board and the legend is true that they don't work for Fenders. Those frequencies are already covered. Marshall and Vox family, definitely.

Thanks for all your interest and post more if inspired. Gil, I'd specially like to hear how you like that booster/compressor. Cheers, sh
talbany

Post by talbany »

If I am using just the clean channel here is what I always come back to

in Order
1. Boss CS-1 or RC Booster
2. Custom Shop BB Preamp (lead)
3.NOS Reverend Drivetrain II (dirty rhythm)
4.RMC Wah
5.Univibe
6.Boss DD-3 Delay
Lexicon LXP-15 in the loop with Dumblelator for some slapback Reverb.

My favorite ODS to use the pedals only is my low Plate Classic.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"