Guy G

Sounds like a Dumble?

Post by Guy G »

ayan

Re: Sounds like a Dumble?

Post by ayan »

Guy G wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwnPpU1VDrg

What do you think?
I can hear some ressemblance there, however, the tone is overprocessed and probably comes from a combination of tubes and solid state. Very compressed compared to the real thing, and the bottom strings sound pretty bad at times, but the voice of the top strings sounds pretty Dumble-like. Frank G. is a master of all of it though, Dumble-like or not tone, he's a magnificent player!

Gil
stoo

Post by stoo »

:shock: Holly Crap! Never heard of Frank Gambale till now! Thanks !!!
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I've seen him live twice. Once with Chick Corea and once with a trio. Both times he was all solid state. Still had a great tone though. The Chick Corea band at the time had Eric Marienthal, Dave Wekel and John Patitucci and was the best live show I've ever seen. It was in a small venue, they played at low volume and at one point Chick and Frank were trading 4's and laughing at each other with the impossible high speed complex licks they were improvising for chorus after chorus after chorus until the whole audience was laughing too.
If you get a chance to see him with the trio don't miss it. He does a segment with unique tunings that is jaw dropping. He's also a great vocalist.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

New to me as well. I like his chops and would love to hear more. The tone is good, but sounds a little artificial to me. The tone is not what I would expect given the hollow body style of the guitar he is playing.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
jurgen

Post by jurgen »

About the tme Chick's "Eye of the Beholder " album frank told an interviewer that he was using a boogie and a chandler tube driver.
His tone on that record is a s nice as his phrasing
A guitar should never sound like a bee, a duck or, a chainsaw (well sometimes a chainsaw is alright )