Krinard ODS clone for Overland Express

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ConeCry

Krinard ODS clone for Overland Express

Post by ConeCry »

First post! I'm a frequent guitar forum guy but this is my maiden voyage here in TAG. Great to find such a fantastic resource.

I recently purchased this ODS clone that Bill Krinard built for Dave Schaefer at Overland Express, I believe back in 2005. I had a brief but pleasant email exchange with Dave, in which he confirmed that this was his amp. I followed up asking which particular ODS it was based on (he has sold a bunch, as most of you know), but have not heard back.

I'm curious if any of the experts on this thread can discern anything from a gut shot. I'm more of a "plug in, twist knobs, make noise" kind of guy, but after reading through a few dozens pages in this forum I'm becoming more interested in some of the history and nuance of these amps. Any info would be much appreciated!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ijedouglas

Re: Krinard ODS clone for Overland Express

Post by ijedouglas »

Hey Adam,

Welcome!

Are you able to post some close-up higher rez pics? I wasn't able to tell from the pic you posted.

Cheers

Ian
Ian
ConeCry

Post by ConeCry »

ijedouglas wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:13 am Hey Adam,

Welcome!

Are you able to post some close-up higher rez pics? I wasn't able to tell from the pic you posted.

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian,
No, the chassis is back in the amp now and that's the only pic I took while I had it out. Sorry.
Last edited by ConeCry on Mon May 09, 2022 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Hi Adam,

Bit hard to tell due to a somewhat blurry image. But looks like a low plate Skyliner amp. If I'm not mistaken I see 100k plate resistors for V1 and V2. The power supply is different from what I'd expect. Circuit wise it is otherwise very reminiscent of Dumble ODS #124.

It sure would help if we had more detailed images. But as it's in the head shell, I'd say enjoy the nice amp you bought. How does it sound?
ConeCry

Post by ConeCry »

rootz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:39 am Hi Adam,

Bit hard to tell due to a somewhat blurry image. But looks like a low plate Skyliner amp. If I'm not mistaken I see 100k plate resistors for V1 and V2. The power supply is different from what I'd expect. Circuit wise it is otherwise very reminiscent of Dumble ODS #124.

It sure would help if we had more detailed images. But as it's in the head shell, I'd say enjoy the nice amp you bought. How does it sound?
Thanks. Sorry about the pic. Did you click on it? I can zoom in and read caps and other parts (granted, I'm on a phone). I believe the pic is 2MB. I can try to get some better ones the next time I have it apart.

It sounds great! I've only had it for about a week, so it's very much still in the honeymoon phase. I'm running it through a 1x12 with a WGS ET-90 and I'm digging the OD tones especially. My previous experience with a similar circuit came from a Carol Ann OD-3R, and my first impression is that I like this one better. I've been leaving the OD on (I don't have a footswitch for it) and using my guitar volume to clean it up, and that works well.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Dumble Overdrive special Complete Layout 52010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
talbany

Post by talbany »

This amp was first posted here in 2006
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ed+to+know

talbany wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 am Dumble Overdrive special Complete Layout 52010.jpg
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ConeCry

Post by ConeCry »

talbany wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:17 am This amp was first posted here in 2006
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ed+to+know

talbany wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 am Dumble Overdrive special Complete Layout 52010.jpg
Thank you.

Here is the original Reverb listing from when Dave sold it a few years ago:

Overdrive Special Amplifier Clone, Custom built by Bill Krinard of Two Rock amplifiers.

https://reverb.com/item/23012566-overdr ... t=23012566