Couple of #183 derivatives

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bepone

Re: Couple of #183 derivatives

Post by bepone »

During the sommer i was doing some old prototype chassis retrofit, ofc. to Dumble amp..some 183 tweaked.
Last weekes finally i completed it and put in service... using pcb but doesnt matter , all by standards, OT is DIY wound on paper bobbin, PT is toroid.. tubes are all NOS with Philips EL34 on output..no choke in g2 circuit, 470R 5W there. Layout is oposite from usual, and wiring little bit shorter..

Results , very tight bass, refreshing middle even without bright switch (not existing here, also without treble caps on volumen or master volume), drive and boost normal without excess..
some pics from the building phase:
IMG_20230527_093739.jpg
IMG_20230826_1456411.jpg

Material used.. everything, Iskra, Draloric, Dale, modern MOX, NTE, MK3, KOA..NOS tantal in NFB cicrcuit, Nichicon bipolar in cathode..everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bepone on Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bepone

Post by bepone »

beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Sounds fantastic. Great job!
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
bepone

Post by bepone »

thx , tryin :P
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

bepone wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 pm sound example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VBW_p6 ... sp=sharing
Hey Bepone, can't get enough of your journey.
Great Playing, clean sound is indeed great with the Strat!
Dirt is getting there, what are your settings on the current build? Feels like you don't have that much drive, do you?
Love reading about your experiments, valuable life lessons here for tone chasing!
Cheers, and keep on aging, love your phrasing man!

Fred.
bepone

Post by bepone »

fred.violleau wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:34 am Hey Bepone, can't get enough of your journey.
Great Playing, clean sound is indeed great with the Strat!
Dirt is getting there, what are your settings on the current build? Feels like you don't have that much drive, do you?
Love reading about your experiments, valuable life lessons here for tone chasing!
Cheers, and keep on aging, love your phrasing man!

Fred.
hello Fred thanks for the kind words, my friend on the video likes low gain and like to play jazz, just some little hair on the drive...

master 9h (very loud amp), bass 10h, middle 13h, treble 12h overdrive on 13h..

on overdrive channel you can play with resistor before trimmer (220-422k) for amount of fuzz in the OD, coupling cap after V2a to the OD pot (10-15nF) and composition (here is Polypropilene) regulating low end quality in the drive, treble capacitor on the clean channel (very important - polyester 1nF-2n2- i put some vintage cap there) together with 390pF ceramic cap .. voltages and lead dress to be correct, in the ball park.. output transformer for very good quality for precise and fast bass but no so much attack in the tone..

so how to say, depending of the output transformer (main tone shaping on bass and mid frequencies) i would change other components in the circuit to get desired results (often changing output transformers on the same amp and differences are huge - per example i just change PT, OT, output section on one 183 amp from 6L6 to smaller 6V6 version 20W and amp doesnt have anything common despite having untouched preamp before/after.. :P
bepone

Post by bepone »

update for this year... i bought some vintage Carlsbro amp mostly for Drake transformers.. i wanted to keep it but was damaged in the post.. amp sounded very good from the start! But failed in half hour :P due to tube damage .. so .. there was no more questions :mrgreen:
bepone

Post by bepone »

IMG_20240421_103253.jpg
IMG_20240421_103251.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

trafos and choke removed
IMG_20240421_131503.jpg
rootz

Post by rootz »

That looks like a nice score! Are those transformers anywhere comparable to something you'd find in a JCM800 2204 of the same age?