A couple of 22W 6v6 Wonderland builds

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

timrobertson100

A couple of 22W 6v6 Wonderland builds

Post by timrobertson100 »

Hi folks

Another JM / Wonderland / Fairfield Country build thread here. Thanks to everyone who's shared the info that makes this possible - and especially to Taylor and Ryan. Faceplate artwork gifted from a member here - thank you!

I'm building up two 22W amps, pretty much identical, both tube rectified with DR iron but one with a fat stack DR 6.7K OT and the other a Tremolux OT which I'll mismatch on the speaker to give 8.8K. I'm using the Fairfield County changes on Ryan's schematic, plus 1k5 grid stoppers, 40uF first filter cap and a typical DR bias circuit). I plan to keep one of these and the other is a gift for a friend. Please shout if you spot anything you think needs attention or have any questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bschifke

Re: A couple of 22W 6v6 Wonderland builds

Post by bschifke »

Is there a schematic or layout for this 22w version? With search function I have found 100 watt only.
timrobertson100

No, it’s just the modifications I listed above. I may also adjust the B+ string to get the preamp voltages, and the GNFB to taste. I’ll summarise all changes here and maybe a video when finished. Taylor makes them, so perhaps he’ll chime in.
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Nice!!¡!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to this one
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi timrobertson100, Hi Ryan Colgan,

I bought the boards from Colgan, the chassis from Amplified Nation to build the fifth JM but I'd like to put in an OD section.

I don't think I can find space in the cards purchased from Colgan, a solution would be to build an additional card with only the OD circuit, I find it logical to use the amplifiers already built without having to build others that differ only in the presence of a circuit OD. :D

I could use one or two of the four holes reserved for the power tubes and then build a 50Watt (2x6L6GC or 5881) but .... in which points of the circuit will I insert the OD? what kind of circuit do you suggest me to use # 102 or # 124? In your experience, could this be a good idea?

If I don't bother I ask you if you have wiring diagrams and layouts of similar projects based on the JM / Wonderland circuit.

Thanks and a hug
Franco
franco mezzalira
timrobertson100

Good questions Franco!

I guess that would be like the Amplified Nation wonderland overdrive. I’m afraid I have never considered it, so can’t really comment and don’t recall ever seeing anything on here like that. People may not find your question buried in this typical build thread - perhaps it might be worth starting a new thread specifically for that topic?

FWIW I built my SSS #2 at 35W with 6L6 using Vibrolux iron and am very happy with it.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

I think Taylor does a 2 tube reverb in the wonderland overdrives. Sort of a mini ODSR without the independent masters. I think he has described it before as having the overdrive section similar to a 2nd Gen. I think he posted a build thread here years ago with pictures and more info, it may be a good starting point.

Good luck!

-Dan
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi timrobertson100,

I found a discussion on TAG from 2014 but everything that Taylor of Amplified Nation wrote has been deleted .... :?

Franco
franco mezzalira
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

This may be of some interest...

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30893

-Dan
timrobertson100

Slow progress, but ready to solder up some signal boards. All but the NFB resistor are in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Looking good, Tim!
timrobertson100

Getting back to these after some distractions over the summer... I wonder if the underside of everyone else's boards are as messy as mine!

Cabinets done, but the boards need wired up.
timrobertson100

Another under-board shot just before I start wiring this in.
timrobertson100

Heaters and dropping resistors to go
timrobertson100

I reverted to the 220k mixing as Ryan discovered, finished up some back panels, and dropped off the first build to a friend.
These amps really do sound fabulous and I'd recommend going for it if you're not sure.

Mine are basically as Taylor first posted, with the changes Ryan documented on the Fairfield thread, with Deluxe Reverb iron, and power section (40uF). Caps are overrated everywhere because that's what I had / could order or in some cases just misordered. Same with the greenback - it's just what I had to hand and sounds pretty fine as a start to my ears.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to share their knowledge, which makes it possible for folk like me to build this - Taylor, Ryan are the ones I have most read but I know others helped, so thank you all. If anyone has questions, please feel to ping me.

Some audio of the first quick tests taken from an iPhone.