Dumble ODS #124 - Jazz/Rock Switch Correct??? Video/Audio Included

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TimDude

Dumble ODS #124 - Jazz/Rock Switch Correct??? Video/Audio Included

Post by TimDude »

I finished a Dumble ODS #124, 1988, with Skyliner, build not too long ago and I’m slowly getting around to testing the switches. I’m not convinced my Rock/Jazz switch sounds correct, although I keep looking at the wiring and testing continuity and everything seems to be done right. I’m curious if any of you good people who are more familiar with the ODS can give this quick video a listen and see if it sounds right? Thanks in advance. I recorded it with my iPhone, I hope that’s good enough. To my ears, the Jazz setting sounds brighter and more shrill than the rock setting, and somehow that doesn’t seem correct. Also, I haven’t received my cabinet yet, so my speaker is simply sitting on the floor.

https://youtu.be/kwC0Jlcz7Tc
Photos here: https://imgur.com/a/WFzhDiw
Treble: 5.5
Middle: 5
Bass: 5.5
Last edited by TimDude on Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ijedouglas

Re: Dumble ODS - Jazz/Rock Switch Correct??? Video/Audio Included

Post by ijedouglas »

Congrats on the build!

Can you post a couple of pictures of the switch wiring as well as the TMB settings?

What circuit/layout did you build?
Ian
TimDude

Re: Dumble ODS #124 - Jazz/Rock Switch Correct??? Video/Audio Included

Post by TimDude »

ijedouglas, I built the #124, 1988, with Skyliner
Here are some photos of the Rock/Jazz switch: https://imgur.com/a/WFzhDiw
Hopefully it’s clear enough. I have these funky LED switches, so that’s why there’s the extra wiring.
Treble: 5.5
Middle: 5
Bass: 5.5
I assume by TMB you meant “treble, middle, bass,” correct?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

TimDude wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:08 pm I assume by TMB you meant “treble, middle, bass,” correct?
Yup.

Switch wiring looks good. I hear a difference in the video but it sounds like the tone gets thinner. On my amps the jazz setting cuts the gain and rolls the top end off a little (softens). It's not something I ever really use though.

Very cool switches BTW
Ian
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

ijedouglas wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:01 pm Switch wiring looks good. I hear a difference in the video but it sounds like the tone gets thinner. On my amps the jazz setting cuts the gain and rolls the top end off a little (softens). It's not something I ever really use though.
That's what I'm hearing too. I'm not sure why it sounds thinner on the Jazz setting. I've been going back over the wiring to my relay boards and it all looks good. I can't find any shorts. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't use the Jazz setting much either. But I spent a lot of time and money making this amp, I'm hoping to have it working correctly.
ijedouglas wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:01 pm Very cool switches BTW
Thanks! And thanks for taking your time with this post.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

TimDude wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:54 pm Also, I haven’t received my cabinet yet, so my speaker is simply sitting on the floor.
I would not do much tweaking until playing through a proper speaker cab.
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

sluckey wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:03 pm I would not do much tweaking until playing through a proper speaker cab.
I’ll take your advice on this one. Thanks.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Definitely agree with sluckey! Not only will this likely make a noticeable difference in what you are hearing, different speakers make a large difference with this and other circuits.
Nice work!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

TimDude wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:54 pmI’m not convinced my Rock/Jazz switch sounds correct, although I keep looking at the wiring and testing continuity and everything seems to be done right. I’m curious if any of you good people who are more familiar with the ODS can give this quick video a listen and see if it sounds right?
It sounds like it's doing the right thing to me. Here are the EQ curves with everything at noon. It will sound different with the speaker mounted in a cabinet, of course, but it's all relative, as they say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

PS Don't posts on this project belong in the Dumble discussion area?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

martin manning wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:52 pm PS Don't posts on this project belong in the Dumble discussion area?
Indeed it does, moved.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!