Working with suede

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rootz

Re: Working with suede

Post by rootz »

A head requires 160cm I think? The hides I get are nowhere big enough for even that. 100x120 cm at most. No problem though, I actually like the 4 seams on the cabs. Still wonder how Two Rock does entire speaker cabs without visible seams. Might be faux suede? Or maybe two or more invisible seams. The fact that the suede they use is very uniform also caught my attention. Doesn't look like the suede I use at all.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

If you put at least an of inch of contact cement along mating edges, and if cut exactly, you can make a seam disappear easier with suede than with any Tolex. I let the edges to be mated a little long, maybe an inch. Then cut and finish like you see Taylor do in the video. You're gonna have to do the same thing on the corners really... They all disappear.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
rootz

Post by rootz »

Guy77 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:16 pm Looks great Bas! Your cabs came out beautiful!
I just wrapped my Single Ended 6L6 ODS 7 watter in Black Suede as well.
Its in the Technical Discussion forum under Single ended 6L6 Demo video.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36308

Cheers
Guy
That is one neat little looking amp Guy! Did you do some kind of PI and gnfb emulation on that amp, or is it bare single power amp tube added to a ODS preamp?
rootz

Post by rootz »

dorrisant wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:38 pm If you put at least an of inch of contact cement along mating edges, and if cut exactly, you can make a seam disappear easier with suede than with any Tolex. I let the edges to be mated a little long, maybe an inch. Then cut and finish like you see Taylor do in the video. You're gonna have to do the same thing on the corners really... They all disappear.
That's pretty much how I do the corners. Especially with glue that is just dry enough, you can move the edged just a tiny bit after mating the suede to the wood to make the seams disappear. Not that it matters there with the corners, but you gotta do something when you got OCD. Still, I'd need two seams if I simply wrap on hide around a head shell I think. Maybe my next hides will be a bit bigger, new supplier so... Who knows.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:24 pm
Guy77 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:16 pm Looks great Bas! Your cabs came out beautiful!
I just wrapped my Single Ended 6L6 ODS 7 watter in Black Suede as well.
Its in the Technical Discussion forum under Single ended 6L6 Demo video.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36308

Cheers
Guy
That is one neat little looking amp Guy! Did you do some kind of PI and gnfb emulation on that amp, or is it bare single power amp tube added to a ODS preamp?

Thanks Bas! Yes that Single ended D- Style amp I built has a GNFB and no Phase Inverter. I did the GNFB just like a Fender Champ.
I ran it from 8ohm jack to the negative side of the cathode cap of V2b and I placed a small resistor before it went to ground, I think I used 100ohm or 1K. Then I used a 25K pot to make it variable feedback.
I attached a pic with an arrow showing the blue GNFB wire. It was a prototype build so not to tidy lol. It has an EL84 tube socket but I switched to 6L6 in the end.
I ran the 6L6 at 82ma and 320v plates, that was the sweet spot for this JJ 6L6GC.
7Watter.jpg
Cheers
Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.