Dumble chassis

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Which front would suit best?

No name, we can make our own stickers!
83%
The nickname, "The Axe" or "The Don" on the front is the way to go.
17%
I have a better/other idea that I add to the comments.
No votes
This is dumb, I'd rather have a Kemper.
No votes

Total votes: 29

rootz

Dumble chassis

Post by rootz »

I had been dragging my feet about covering cabs in tolex. Finally got that successfully done. But there is always something else I drag my feet about.

I've been working on a bunch of chassis for Overdrive Specials, Wonderlands and SSS's. The ODS chassis are more or less clones. One front is cloned after Hoyt Axton's amp and another after Don Alvarado's. The latter amp was nicknamed 'The Don' by Bonamassa. I could have cloned the accent switch, but went with a pot.
One thing I definitely can't clone IMHO is Dumble's name on the amp. The picture of that front is for reference. The front shown is Hoyt Axtons ODS. Black front with gold lettering.
So I'm not entirely sure what would fit best. Hence this poll.

Edit: added a picture of the real amp for reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Re: Dumble chassis

Post by M Fowler »

I want an Overdrive Reverb chassis or plates but..........

Mark
rootz

Post by rootz »

Something like this Mark?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

rootz wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 am Something like this Mark?
I’d like one too !!

Edit: like Guy I wouldn’t mind a Reverb send control on the back but OD Drive and Level on the front along with a global Master as I use them a lot (especially pushing the OD Level and lowering the Master as the Reverb mixer sits in between).
Last edited by mojotom on Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

That Overdrive Reverb faceplate looks really cool! I like it as well.
I think I would stick the Bloomfield Drive circuit in there!
I just wished that Dumble had placed the Drive and Level controls for the Overdrive on the front and the Reverb Send on the back since I am always adjusting the 2 Overdrive knobs but the Reverb Send I set it once and forget about it.

I imagine the Level control on the front is the Master for both channels?

I choose "No Name" for the Dumble chassis. They look amazing BTW!

Guy
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes that plate is exactly what I like for the OD Reverb.
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

rootz wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:52 pm I've been working on a bunch of chassis for Overdrive Specials, Wonderlands and SSS's. The ODS chassis are more or less clones.
Go on... tell me more... lol Are you planning on doing small runs of these amp chassis? I'll start saving now....
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
rootz

Post by rootz »

Here's what I'm currently working on:
- A deluxe version of the Wonderland, named the Steel String Special. It has a FET level control on front, as well as room for 6 toggle switches for PAB, FET, function (reverb, gain structure, or whatever you like there), bright, mid and deep. More of a Custom reverb signature tbh;
- Two versions of a PCB based ODS like #080 (IIRC);
- A 19" wide version of SSS #005.
All chassis 19" wide. All of them anodised aluminium, but in various colours (black, silver and champagne). I've got about 40 of them ready for screen printing now.

Board sets for all aforementioned chassis are already in stock.

I do have more ideas and designs. One of them being a modernised #60 chassis. Another is SSS #004 and a 19" flexible chassis with double rows of holes for pots and switches. Also been working on a 14" wide flex chassis, with room for 5 preamp tubes, 2 power and 1 recto. Much like the Studio Pro's.

Gaetano, a 19" flex chassis with some faceplates would be perfect for a Bloomfield. The bigger #60 chassis would be overkill.

Mark, could we do a test with the #60 circuit? I think I have a full and correct layout as well.

I still have to think through how to do wold wide shipping and VAT for world wide clients. The latter is not that simple.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I'd be very interested in the 'more of a custom reverb signature tbh' set chassis and pcbs (I am really getting lazy after so much drilling during the years...).
And for once having the advantage of being in the EU :)
Niki
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 am Here's what I'm currently working on:
- A deluxe version of the Wonderland, named the Steel String Special. It has a FET level control on front, as well as room for 6 toggle switches for PAB, FET, function (reverb, gain structure, or whatever you like there), bright, mid and deep. More of a Custom reverb signature tbh;
- Two versions of a PCB based ODS like #080 (IIRC);
- A 19" wide version of SSS #005.
All chassis 19" wide. All of them anodised aluminium, but in various colours (black, silver and champagne). I've got about 40 of them ready for screen printing now.

Board sets for all aforementioned chassis are already in stock.

I do have more ideas and designs. One of them being a modernised #60 chassis. Another is SSS #004 and a 19" flexible chassis with double rows of holes for pots and switches. Also been working on a 14" wide flex chassis, with room for 5 preamp tubes, 2 power and 1 recto. Much like the Studio Pro's.

Gaetano, a 19" flex chassis with some faceplates would be perfect for a Bloomfield. The bigger #60 chassis would be overkill.

Mark, could we do a test with the #60 circuit? I think I have a full and correct layout as well.

I still have to think through how to do wold wide shipping and VAT for world wide clients. The latter is not that simple.
Hi Bas, yes I also agree 19in chassis are the way to go these days. They will fit perfectly on top on most speaker cabinets and are cheaper to ship than the wider chassis. Having a 19in chassis for a Overdrive Reverb/Bloomfield style amp would be great. May need to change the spacing on the 3 switches. I believe just placing them closer together would work fine and making the Presence knob a smaller knob like the way Dumble did on this amp. Please note this is actually wider than a 19in chassis,
ODSRImages.jpg

I like the idea of hearing the difference between the Bloomfield circuit and the #60 circuit as well. The #60 has an extra preamp tube ( 6 in total) and I believe its involved in the mixing of the clean and reverb circuits.

I attached a schematic of #60 I found on our site here.
SchematicNo60.jpg
The #13 is interesting too since it has the same clean tone as the Bloomfield and the Wonderland because of the 56K/68K resistor that sends part of the signal from just before it enters V1b to the entrance of the V2a or v2b tube.
I had a Bloomfield Drive in my basement last year and a JM/Wonderland that I built and the clean on the Bloomfield sounded just like the clean on my JM/Wonderland build ( I did add a Presence knob to my JM) The similarity was stunning.
Schematic of #13 below
ODRS 13 Schematic.jpg
I have built several of this style of Overdrive Reverb circuit that you posted a while ago Bas ( based on CRS amp) and it has been working out great but I am always looking to try something new!
6v6 TR CRS3 v1.jpg

The idea of adding the FET control to the Wonderland is great. I have been installing the FET on a few ODS builds and its nice to have especially with a knob to adjust its gain like the Custom reverb signature has, this gives you ultimate control. I have been using these Super FETs lately ( these can get hotter sounding than the standard FET we use here) and you can adjust the gain by placing a screw driver through the jack, having a knob out front would be great.

https://grangeramp.com/product/superfet-jack-3/

I had Curt (Granger Amps) make some updates to these for me and they sound amazing and are super quiet when switching with a footswitch. Curt is a great guy to work with.

BTW the PCB boards you sent me for the ODS amps have been running great for 1.5 yrs in a few amps!

Cheers
Gaetano (Guy)
rootz

Post by rootz »

Hi Gaetano, the #60 chassis is different in more than one way from the ODs chassis. At least when I compare them side by side in Adobe Illustrator. The chassis are wider to begin with, but also the spacing between the knobs is wider by 1/8" (IIRC). There is no way to get the exact same layout in a 19" chassis. A bit narrower spacing would allow for 8 pots and 3 switches like a regular ODS chassis. I strongly prefer consistent pot spacing and knob size over fitting as much on the front panel as I could.

Now with a 19" flex chassis you'd have room for 10 pots and switches (11 of both if you completely do away with a logo on the front). The flex chassis I currently have on test has room for 3 more pots on the back. I recon 13 pots on an ODSR like amp would be quite sufficient. Just not very Dumble look alike, but more Two Rock.

#13 and #60 are very different wrt the reverb section. The latter being more like reverb in a loop, the #13 more as a Wonderland. Both have 6 preamp tubes IIRC. I've only seen blurry and small pictures of #59 (or was it #58?). Those have a different layout more akin to the SSS amps with PCB's around the tube sockets. Very cool if you ask me. Anyway, the Bloomfield seems more like a stripped #13 to me, much like the Traditional Clean seems like a stripped Wonderland. Both have simplified reverb mixer stages, no 'tweed mixer'.

I really like the simplicity of the Granger MOSFET boost. What is it? A BS170 much like the Orman boost? I must admit I like the foot switchable FET too. #005 sound like a wild animal with FET and PAB on. Never expected that much overdrive out of an amp that is known for its clean tones. And the great thing is, the overdrive is very wide bandwidth. Not narrow like a Marshall type amp. I suspect that is, among other things, the CF doing its work.

As for a release/sale date on the chassis. It largely depends on how the screen printer works this time. Last time was kind of a debacle with another printer. Many misprinted chassis. Hope it turns out better this time. I'll keep you all posted.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

My idea is "overdrive special" with the "by Dumble" removed.

On the back, a place for the builders serial number stamped or engraved in. Or something like "constructed by" and the builder can stamp whatever they want underneath.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:00 pm Hi Gaetano, the #60 chassis is different in more than one way from the ODs chassis. At least when I compare them side by side in Adobe Illustrator. The chassis are wider to begin with, but also the spacing between the knobs is wider by 1/8" (IIRC). There is no way to get the exact same layout in a 19" chassis. A bit narrower spacing would allow for 8 pots and 3 switches like a regular ODS chassis. I strongly prefer consistent pot spacing and knob size over fitting as much on the front panel as I could.

Now with a 19" flex chassis you'd have room for 10 pots and switches (11 of both if you completely do away with a logo on the front). The flex chassis I currently have on test has room for 3 more pots on the back. I recon 13 pots on an ODSR like amp would be quite sufficient. Just not very Dumble look alike, but more Two Rock.

#13 and #60 are very different wrt the reverb section. The latter being more like reverb in a loop, the #13 more as a Wonderland. Both have 6 preamp tubes IIRC. I've only seen blurry and small pictures of #59 (or was it #58?). Those have a different layout more akin to the SSS amps with PCB's around the tube sockets. Very cool if you ask me. Anyway, the Bloomfield seems more like a stripped #13 to me, much like the Traditional Clean seems like a stripped Wonderland. Both have simplified reverb mixer stages, no 'tweed mixer'.

I really like the simplicity of the Granger MOSFET boost. What is it? A BS170 much like the Orman boost? I must admit I like the foot switchable FET too. #005 sound like a wild animal with FET and PAB on. Never expected that much overdrive out of an amp that is known for its clean tones. And the great thing is, the overdrive is very wide bandwidth. Not narrow like a Marshall type amp. I suspect that is, among other things, the CF doing its work.

As for a release/sale date on the chassis. It largely depends on how the screen printer works this time. Last time was kind of a debacle with another printer. Many misprinted chassis. Hope it turns out better this time. I'll keep you all posted.
Yes I agree the Bloomfield seems more like the #13 with how it implements the reverb. Yes the #60 would be too much for a 19in chassis. I like it when its not a million knobs on the front so there is room for a logo.
Regarding the SuperFet input jack. It runs a single LND150 in a TO-92 package. It has a 100k resistor on board to take the B+ straight from the power supply or daisy chain from your V1 tube B+.
The circuit sounds like the Orman boost, a clean boost ( I listened to a video of the Orman), except it runs only 1 transistor (LND150) vs the 2 transistors in the Orman.
Regarding the #005, mine was the same too. Lots of drive when hitting the PAB.

Cheers
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Sure I would pay for chassis and panels plus shipping.

Mark
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Every time you post about #60 I get this hankering to build one Rootz ;)
I’m curious if you ever progressed the #60 chassis discussed above? - I’d be interested in buying one.