Overdrive Reverb/Steel String Singer Hybrid

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Re: Overdrive Reverb/Steel String Singer Hybrid

Post by ViperDoc »

Do you see anything suspicious around the effects loop jacks, their chassis ground, or how the cable shield grounds are connected? You've lasso'd the shielded wires with what looks like a conductive wire on the preamp ground buss. Is there something there? Ground loop, perhaps?
Just plug it in, man.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Last edited by beasleybodyshop on Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
beasleybodyshop

Solved!

Long story short, between performing the PI balance procedure and moving around the PI grid input wire the noise is entirely gone!

Amp sounds absolutely bonkers. I need to get the FET preamp working, so will report back when i get there.

Filters do indeed load the circuit down quite a bit. But amp sounds great with or without them in. Very useable.

Will report back!
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
rootz

Post by rootz »

Great to hear! I saw the cathode and grid wire of the PI were very close. You might want to rewire the cathode wire to the right side of the PI tube socket. Dumble does that consistently, at least in the pictures his amps I have.

Also, I don’t see grid stoppers on the output tubes? Are they there?
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Curious how the filters work in tandem with the overdrive circuit. Must be bonkers
Charlie
beasleybodyshop

Spent some more time dialing it in, and then stuck it back in the headshell I built for it several years ago. Need to make some final adjustments to the cab but i'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Tone is amazing, will post some decent recorded clips when i get back in a few weeks. Stay tuned!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beasleybodyshop

Attached final Layout and Schematic.

Note - Layout does not include Clean Channel Master volume - but that is easy enough to add between the OD drive and Reverb Dwell pots on the back of the amp. Layout is 95 percent correct. Always reference schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

Very nice work! This is basically what my El Patron amp is. Are the grid leaks on the output tubes really 47K? I normally see 470K resistors there.
beasleybodyshop

txbluesboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:39 pm Very nice work! This is basically what my El Patron amp is. Are the grid leaks on the output tubes really 47K? I normally see 470K resistors there.
Yes I believe so.

You're out of Grand Prairie right? I'm over in East Dallas/Garland. Not too far away.
beasleybodyshop

Also,

You all should try subbing Echoplex EP3 preamp values in lieu of the normal FET. It's so wonderful! Normal impedance too.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

I am in Grand Prairie. We should get together sometime.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

txbluesboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:39 pm Very nice work! This is basically what my El Patron amp is.
Another ODs sss hybrid , very cool , did you keep the filters too ?
Charlie
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

I didn't really like the filters on a couple of other amps I built. Too lossy and really I only used 1 setting on the high filter.
I hard wire this low pass filter setting in most of my amps.
Last edited by txbluesboy on Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

https://youtu.be/IZxiDoiJHhY?si=zlENKXn1Yhq1Evmr
Here is a demo a user posted of his El Patron.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

txbluesboy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:48 pm https://youtu.be/IZxiDoiJHhY?si=zlENKXn1Yhq1Evmr
Here is a demo a user posted of his El Patron.
That’s the forward and present sustain I have come to recognize from these hybrids . You know what’s fun ? Listening to your favorite music . Plug a phone into the active effects return and you have a sweet hifi tube sound lol doing it as we speak , ev12l sounds great for playback
Charlie