Princeton Non Reverb to TR JM thoughts.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Zorojuro

Princeton Non Reverb to TR JM thoughts.

Post by Zorojuro »

I have a Princeton non reverb and tremolo amp (Rob Robinette). I'm thinking to modify it's preamp to a JM two rock. I need your thoughts about this. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ijedouglas

Re: Princeton Non Reverb to TR JM thoughts.

Post by ijedouglas »

Is this a Dumble circuit?

Mods, can we please keep this forum on point to discuss Dumble and his circuits.
Ian
Zorojuro

Post by Zorojuro »

ijedouglas wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:52 am Is this a Dumble circuit?

Mods, can we please keep this forum on point to discuss Dumble and his circuits.

It's a Princeton circuit. I'm planning to modify its preamp to a John Mayer two rock/wonderland. I just want to hear some thoughts on this or if this modification is a waste of time.

Or should i post it in the fender discussion board?
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Zorojuro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:10 am

It's a Princeton circuit. I'm planning to modify its preamp to a John Mayer two rock/wonderland. I just want to hear some thoughts on this or if this modification is a waste of time.

Or should i post it in the fender discussion board?
You could post a schematic of the JM amp and then compare:
-the amount of pre tubes with the Princeton.
-Is the current draw of the PT sufficient icw with the tube rectifier?
-Is there enough room for the change. (debatable?) In other words what are the dimensions of the chassis for both amps?

Doing this kind of homework has more potential for a serious response.

Erwin
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I just want to hear some thoughts on this or if this modification is a waste of time.
If your expectation is that "the conversion" will sound anywhere close to a John Mayer Two Rock amp, then I think you are likely to be very disappointed?

You might do a search on the "Small Special" with the idea of using 6V6's instead & see if that is something you're interested in?

With respect, 10thtx
Zorojuro

Post by Zorojuro »

Thanks for your responses Erwin and 10thx. I think it is not worth the time and effort to make some mods with my amp. I really appreciate your thoughts about it.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Zorojuro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:10 amIt's a Princeton circuit. I'm planning to modify its preamp to a John Mayer two rock/wonderland. I just want to hear some thoughts on this or if this modification is a waste of time.
You could certainly modify the preamp stages to the JM sig. The first stage would be the same, but then you'd have the Dumble tone stack (same controls, different circuit), and the second stage in the JM has R//C input, a smaller Ck, and local negative feedback. Nothing wrong with trying that as an experiment. It will sound different from the Princeton.
Zorojuro

Post by Zorojuro »

martin manning wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:58 pm
Zorojuro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:10 amIt's a Princeton circuit. I'm planning to modify its preamp to a John Mayer two rock/wonderland. I just want to hear some thoughts on this or if this modification is a waste of time.
You could certainly modify the preamp stages to the JM sig. The first stage would be the same, but then you'd have the Dumble tone stack (same controls, different circuit), and the second stage in the JM has R//C input, a smaller Ck, and local negative feedback. Nothing wrong with trying that as an experiment. It will sound different from the Princeton.
Thanks martin. This is much more encouraging to widen the perspective of modification. I know it will not sound exactly like JM but I just want to try if some of it's vibe will also be available to this amp. Especially it has a different phase inverter, different power tubes, transformers, speakers and voltages. Thank you for your kind response.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

It may or may not be a good sounding amp? This is a DRAFT unproven idea only for discussion and edits. It allows for a psuedo pretend active FX where you can place reverb and/or delay to fake some of the JM aspects.

I am NOT advocating building this. I would anticipate if this idea works that it would sound nothing like a JM Two Rock.

My advice is if you're not a reasonably advanced seasoned amp builder then I would NOT attempt this.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zorojuro

Post by Zorojuro »

10thTx wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:10 pm It may or may not be a good sounding amp? This is a DRAFT unproven idea only for discussion and edits. It allows for a psuedo pretend active FX where you can place reverb and/or delay to fake some of the JM aspects.

I am NOT advocating building this. I would anticipate if this idea works that it would sound nothing like a JM Two Rock.

My advice is if you're not a reasonably advanced seasoned amp builder then I would NOT attempt this.

With respect, 10thtx
I like the idea. Thanks for your suggestions.

I've already built some amps and preamps in the past 4 years or so.

Really appreciate your efforts in drafting schematics.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Another one to consider given two 12A_7's. Obviously you'd need to make some changes for 6V6's.

With respect, 10thtx
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Zorojuro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:36 pm
Really appreciate your efforts in drafting schematics.
I second that , very considerate and caring of you 10thTx, appreciate the extra effort to help each other
Charlie
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Two things:

1. I can't be expected to mod every post within 1 hour - If you can, I'd be happy to add you as a mod, but don't miss that 1 hour deadline. :)
2. It sounds to me that a john mayer Two rock is basically a dumble amp clone if I recall no?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:46 am Two things:

1. I can't be expected to mod every post within 1 hour - If you can, I'd be happy to add you as a mod, but don't miss that 1 hour deadline. :)
2. It sounds to me that a john mayer Two rock is basically a dumble amp clone if I recall no?

~Phil
Hey Phil, I appreciate all you do for the forum. Not sure where the 1 hour expectation came from though.
I was just trying to make the point that this forum was supposed to be about discussing Dumble and his circuits but often devolves into clones and in this case a circuit with distant Dumble DNA (ie not a clone). I am all for discussing new circuits and evolving the design but maybe a different forum may suit this discussion better.
I may be totally off base here and I apologize if so,
Ian
Zorojuro

Post by Zorojuro »

10thTx wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:01 am Another one to consider given two 12A_7's. Obviously you'd need to make some changes for 6V6's.

With respect, 10thtx
Thank you 10thx. I have a board for fender vibrolux (non reverb) in my stash. Maybe this is more easy to build than to modify my current princeton.