Jim Weider Bassman ODS.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FuzzFaceBuilder

Jim Weider Bassman ODS.

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Came across these photos of Jim Weider’s Bassman ODS.

Component choices makes sense. But lead dress doesn’t look correct at all. What say you?

The only close up shot (no clean TS)
2542BA27-AB4E-45C4-AD78-966434240E5B.jpeg

Pot layout in Bassman chassis.
4DFA75BA-F210-469C-99CF-81E8574C2EBA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhopperPlate

Re: Jim Weider Bassman ODS.

Post by WhopperPlate »

What exactly doesn’t look correct?
E3B8C1CF-1ADF-4D45-B2FD-3E3AC81687D2.png

As far as lead dress , keep in mind the tube sockets are mounted differently .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

What’s different about the tube sockets?

With respect 10thtx
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

FuzzFaceBuilder wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:46 am Came across these photos of Jim Weider’s Bassman ODS.

Component choices makes sense. But lead dress doesn’t look correct at all. What say you?
I've never seen HAD use Iskra in an amp (this may be the first :) ). The CDE PI input coupler also doesn't fit the timeline of the other parts used either.

Edit: this probably explains it: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 18#p428318
Ian
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

10thTx wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:13 pm What’s different about the tube sockets?

With respect 10thtx
Slightly rotated vs the typical dumble mounting position ie fender mounting pattern. Might be enough to throw someone off …
Last edited by WhopperPlate on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

ijedouglas wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:41 pm
FuzzFaceBuilder wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:46 am Came across these photos of Jim Weider’s Bassman ODS.

I've never seen HAD use Iskra in an amp (this may be the first :) ). The CDE PI input coupler also doesn't fit the timeline of the other parts used either.

Edit: this probably explains it: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 18#p428318
Great find, now I seem to understand what and why they are testing and swapping these components :D
Charlie
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I don't think that was built by Dumble. I could be wrong, but I doubt it is. That's Mitch Colby in the background. He's a friend of Jims.
I don't know for sure, but I don't believe HAD made any Bassman overdrive amps like that. Part choices could have easily come from here...lol.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

Workmanship and components look like it could be a Krinard. Was just inside a ‘73 Deluxe Reverb that he worked over. Something that never should’ve been released into the wild. At least those appear to be soldered connections.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

MeanMrMustard wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:57 am Workmanship and components look like it could be a Krinard. Was just inside a ‘73 Deluxe Reverb that he worked over. Something that never should’ve been released into the wild. At least those appear to be soldered connections.
Some of the Krinard prototypes and early K&M or TR amps were frankly, frightening. The new ones are quite a bit better, but they did things like brass eyelets, some kind of acid core flux solder (lots of green mold on connections), poor soldering, crazy lead dresses and certainly some crazy AC and ground connections too... We all had to start somewhere. I've rebuilt a batch of my earliest amps (pre-company really), as I'd rather they not be in the wild. One of the reasons, despite needing cash at time, I won't sell prototypes...
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

MeanMrMustard wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:57 am Workmanship and components look like it could be a Krinard. Was just inside a ‘73 Deluxe Reverb that he worked over. Something that never should’ve been released into the wild. At least those appear to be soldered connections.
FWIW: I would be surprised if it was a Krinard build, it's a bit too neat...not a criticism, an observation.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I asked Mitch Colby: Here is the response:

"Mark Kane (Cane?). Supposed to be a copy of an unusual one (some unusual value resistors) built by Dumble. Not all brand of resistors in Jim’s amp are as in original. I believe the original had many Pihers, some Dale and Mepco. Jim has been experimenting with various brand resistors and replaced the newer ODs with older ones which actually sound different. We also installed NOS orange Sprague cathode bypass caps which were a huge tonal improvement 🤪😵💫😆 "
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

That is a Kane rebuild. Jim is never done trying new things and Mitch has helped him as have another guy or two. It’s been back to me, Kane once as well when things got a little off kilter. All the changes were the same values with different companies or values.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:14 pm
FWIW: I would be surprised if it was a Krinard build, it's a bit too neat...not a criticism, an observation.
Kane’s builds tend to be prettier than that. I’ve followed his stuff for a long while and we have a mutual friend. The reason I mentioned Krinard is because this came in a couple months ago and reminded me of it…
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

MeanMrMustard wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:16 am
FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:14 pm
Kane’s builds tend to be prettier than that. I’ve followed his stuff for a long while and we have a mutual friend. The reason I mentioned Krinard is because this came in a couple months ago and reminded me of it…
All due respect, I've seen Krinnard builds, and they're a whole lot more sloppy than this. They may sound really nice (Carr comes to mind) but the construction, oy....