JM/Wonderland Contour Pot

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blues Hound

JM/Wonderland Contour Pot

Post by Blues Hound »

Starting on a JM/Wonderland 100 watt amp and have seen some posts about the Contour pot and wanted to see if 250KA or 250KL is better for the Contour pot.

Thanks,
Steve
rccolgan

Re: JM/Wonderland Contour Pot

Post by rccolgan »

I think the sweep is pretty decent with Audio taper however if you want the amp to look brighter, you can go with a linear taper. For example, audio taper at noon position is standard/darker than linear taper at noon position. Adjustments from there.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply, great information, will start with the linear pot.

Steve
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

Wanted to see if anyone else has had an issue with the contour pots...

I currently have is a 250KA pot, tried the 250KB and both had the same issue, when I turn it past 3, volume drops and sounds gets fizzy.

Thanks,
Steve
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Blues Hound wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:12 am Wanted to see if anyone else has had an issue with the contour pots...

I currently have is a 250KA pot, tried the 250KB and both had the same issue, when I turn it past 3, volume drops and sounds gets fizzy.

Thanks,
Steve
Sounds like you got bigger problems. Contour knob affects negative feedback response , so I assume there is some related oscillation occurring with that part of the circuit . Double check wiring, lead dress , solder joints, ect.
Charlie
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Without looking... Isn't it similar to a Vox style Cut control?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:25 pm
Blues Hound wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:12 am Wanted to see if anyone else has had an issue with the contour pots...

Thanks,
Steve
Sounds like you got bigger problems. Contour knob affects negative feedback response , so I assume there is some related oscillation occurring with that part of the circuit . Double check wiring, lead dress , solder joints, ect.
I have checked wiring, it is correct, reflowed the solder joints, lead dress is good, will post pictures tomorrow.

When I use a Dumblelator, there is no issue with the amp.
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:25 pm Without looking... Isn't it similar to a Vox style Cut control?
I believe so.
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

Here are some pictures.

Took apart and reassembled the .1 caps, 221k resistors and .005 cap and re soldered, still the same fizziness without the Dumblelator, with the Dumblelator in the send/return, Contour works as it should.

IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Come to think of it , I remember having a similar issue with a JM wonderland when I utilized an electrolytic cap in the negative feedback loop. I just used what I had lying around . I ended up swapping for a film cap and the issue was heavily diminished. I just assumed it was a bad old cap.
Charlie
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:53 pm Come to think of it , I remember having a similar issue with a JM wonderland when I utilized an electrolytic cap in the negative feedback loop. I just used what I had lying around . I ended up swapping for a film cap and the issue was heavily diminished. I just assumed it was a bad old cap.
Thaks for the reply, I will try that today...