3rd Gen started

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: 3rd Gen started

Post by Reeltarded »

WOW! That looks insanely great! Stunning!

Thanks for the tip on the choke. I have always wondered!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.
Ian
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Wow!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Very nice solder joints. No flux mess. Which solder did you use?

Thanks for the choke tip.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Smitty wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:35 am Very nice solder joints. No flux mess. Which solder did you use?
Thank you. I use Kester 63/37 44 activated. I do spend time afterwards with q-tips and isopropyl though :D
Ian
VolkerStaub

Post by VolkerStaub »

I see you using these era correct, yellow, Spragues lytics.
Do these bypass caps make a big difference in terms of sound compared to modern equivalents?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

VolkerStaub wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:56 am I see you using these era correct, yellow, Spragues lytics.
Do these bypass caps make a big difference in terms of sound compared to modern equivalents?
By modern equivalents do you mean the current sprague TVA?
Ian
VolkerStaub

Post by VolkerStaub »

ijedouglas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 pm
VolkerStaub wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:56 am I see you using these era correct, yellow, Spragues lytics.
Nope, I mean any available electrolytic 5uF/63V at Mouser
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

VolkerStaub wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:52 pm
ijedouglas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 pm
Nope, I mean any available electrolytic 5uF/63V at Mouser
Yes. Without knowing which ones and testing them, I can't really comment though. There are a few posts on this forum that discuss the differences in some of the more modern caps. I would recommend getting a few different brands/types and listening for yourself as some may be better suited to the amp you are working on :D
Ian
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Hi Ian,

The idea of reversing the choke is really interesting, I will be trying it this weekend if I get time.

The problem is always the amount of time between an AB test so I've made a version of your box.

It's a simple circuit but given the voltages involved coming off the B+ it should come with a disclaimer:

THESE VOLTAGES CAN KILL YOU.
DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH.

It should go without saying; you try this at your own risk.

This is the schematic:
DipTrace Schematic - Voltage inverter - 01.pdf
And here's a couple of pics to show the internals:

IMG_20230421_222604.jpg
IMG_20230421_222629.jpg

I've used a heavy duty APEM DPDT switch and the internal wiring is AWG18 solid core for the current carrying wires (IN - from the B+ and back, and OUT to the choke and back). The DMM tap allows you to see the polarity of the voltage - plus or minus - and is wired up using AWG20 solid core. I tested it using a 9V battery and it works. I also double checked the GND to ensure it doesn't have continuity with any part of the switched circuit. The GND is essential and is only for the case. It does not connect to any part of the switched circuit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Very nice!!! Good idea on the DMM test points.

Interested to hear your results :D
Ian
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi Stephen1966,

I'm following your construction and your experience with the Choke. I need to ask you some questions (which demonstrate how little I know about this fascinating matter :D ) the DMM outputs are in parallel with the OUT outputs, maybe two holes and two bushings on the case can be avoided?
Forgive my ignorance but what does DMM mean and why did you provide a bushing for the earth?

A hug.

Franco
franco mezzalira
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Hey Franco

DMM: Digital Multimeter
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

jazzbass wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:53 am Hi Stephen1966,

I'm following your construction and your experience with the Choke. I need to ask you some questions (which demonstrate how little I know about this fascinating matter :D ) the DMM outputs are in parallel with the OUT outputs, maybe two holes and two bushings on the case can be avoided?
Forgive my ignorance but what does DMM mean and why did you provide a bushing for the earth?

A hug.

Franco
DMM - ditto Tim. A DMM can measure positive and negative voltages - it provides a visual confirmation of the polarity. Yes, it's in parallel with the OUT outputs. Strictly speaking, you don't need it, this device is for a listening test after all and your ears are what matter but the position of the switch along with a positive (parallel) or negative (inverted) volt reading will tell you whether the choke wires should be reversed (inverted) or not when you connect it back up to the power board. It's important you know which wire is which on the choke, they are commonly both black and look identical so before desoldering from the power board it will be useful to mark them in some way. You shouldn't swap any board B+ points or wires. To begin though, I will be desoldering the choke wires and connecting them up to the box in the order they came off the board.

For connections to and from the board and the choke, I am using AWG18 (1.5mm^) stranded cables with a 4mm banana jack on one end (for connecting to the box) and some heavier duty alligator clips on the other. No one here should need reminding that before you start messing around with any of this, your caps should be fully discharged.

The GND lug is for your protection. If 400+ volts are going to arc across any of the internal circuitry and into the box or switch toggle, I want a solid connection to Earth that doesn't look for a path to ground through my soft tissues. Or yours, for that matter. Don't leave it out.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

ijedouglas wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:36 pm Very nice!!! Good idea on the DMM test points.

Interested to hear your results :D
Thanks Ian, it isn't too pretty but it should do the job.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu