Sourcing Head/Combo Cabs?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

michaelwwesbrook

Sourcing Head/Combo Cabs?

Post by michaelwwesbrook »

Just finished up my #124 and I am need of a cab. Undecided on a head or 1x12 combo currently.

I got the chassis/boards from Taylor at AN and at the time they were offering cabs so that was my long term plan. By the time I was able to pull the trigger it wasn’t something they offered any longer. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time, tools or space to tackle making it myself. The measurements and bolt pattern seems a bit unique as I haven’t found anything quite the same.

Ideally I’d love tolex with Vox grill cloth or even just plain black that looks “right”. Thanks for any help!
WhopperPlate

Re: Sourcing Head/Combo Cabs?

Post by WhopperPlate »

They can make you anything https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/
Charlie
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:15 pm They can make you anything https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/
I tried to order from them. The communication was very difficult. Even calling it was hard getting my orders in. I gave up after 6 months
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:27 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:15 pm They can make you anything https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/
I tried to order from them. The communication was very difficult. Even calling it was hard getting my orders in. I gave up after 6 months
To be fair , they slipped up and lost my order for weeks . Once I emailed them they realized the error and rushed the order through with a discount and delivered within days . There’s obviously some issues, but that cabinet was delivered .
Charlie
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

I had a really good experience with them for a marshall style head and extension cab. Communication, shipping, and quality were all top notch. But that was precovid times....

-Dan
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

I assume you are in the US?
In Europe, Tube-Town would be an option. I’ve had a speaker cab from them and it was excellent.

I once asked Taylor to make a head cab and he said he wasn’t making more. A few months later we were chatting on a different topic (his suede supplier) and he offered to make me cabs. I sensed it just depends on his workload. Shipping and customs forced me to make my own though.
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

Try Sourmash.
https://sourmashguitarcabs.com/
They have built some great cabinets for me.
They will do custom builds.
michaelwwesbrook

Thanks everyone! I’ll reach out to Sourmash. I’ve got a cab they build me some time ago and the experience was smooth.
riq

Post by riq »

michaelwwesbrook wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:47 pm Thanks everyone! I’ll reach out to Sourmash. I’ve got a cab they build me some time ago and the experience was smooth.
Did you ever find a cab builder? I’m going to be in the same position fairly soon
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

I've had good luck with TRM. Easy to work with and Tim will custom make what you want. Give him a day or two to respond, he only looks at his email in the evenings.

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/index.html
Glenn
michaelwwesbrook

I haven’t actually gotten a cab yet. Been on the road most of the summer/fall so it hasn’t been a priority.

Might reach out to TRM, thanks Glenn!
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Sour Mash is excellent for custom and normal builds. GCD is excellent for traditional stuff--their build volume is high, so while I've gotten great custom results from them in the past, it is likely to get lost in the weeds if it's not a customary product. But their quality is also excellent.
Just plug it in, man.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

michaelwwesbrook wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:55 pm I haven’t actually gotten a cab yet. Been on the road most of the summer/fall so it hasn’t been a priority.

Might reach out to TRM, thanks Glenn!
No problem.

Here are the cabinets I got from him. He only works with pine, sadly. Although he offers finished cabinets, I got the "barebones unfinished" cabinets then purchased all hardware. I sanded, stained with Watco Danish Oil dark walnut, and clearcoated them with satin poly.
20231022_151739.jpg
Head cabinet is 20 5/8" wide, that gave me 1/8" clearance for the 19" chassis. I also asked him to make it 2" taller than he normally does so there would be plenty of room to store the pedal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
award70

Post by award70 »

Reggie at Raw Cabs also does a very nice job.

Reggie Silva

phone # 559-801-5552

email: refugio@rawcabs.com
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

We are selling heads and combos for our chassis again!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation