Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

VolkerStaub

EL84 as power tubes in ODS

Post by VolkerStaub »

Hey there,

recently found this: https://www.bestamp-guitar.com/e_produc ... -2228.html

They offer a 20W hand-wired ODS for the very competitive price of 750$ to my door! I know that the word China alone might trigger some of you guys but let me tell you:
I know several folks who ordered there and they all got their amps and are actually happy. Build quality is reported to be better than expected!

One thing that caught my attention however was the fact that they use 2x EL84 tubes instead of 2x 6V6 as you'd normally see with these lower wattage ODS style amps.
Is there anything about the EL84's that will degrade the sound over the 6V6 in terms of sonic quality..etc?
Also attached you'll find a gut shot of their amp they've sent me upon request via mail. Looks very much like a Ceriatone Overtone Lunchbox 20w internally.
Communication with them is very good and helpful. They even offered me to modify their ODS20 to 6V6 tubes with a 120$ upcharge. And I'm wondering if that makes any big difference after all?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Re: EL84 as power tubes in ODS

Post by bepone »

Difficult question, ask them about what is the working voltage of EL84's?
If is around 320VDC then they have very pleasant sound, if is more (360-400V) this will be very nervous!

I assume that is more 360V+ because claimed power= 20W

At 300-320VDC will be more like 14-15W, still enough because there is no detectable loudness difference between 15-20W.
VolkerStaub

Post by VolkerStaub »

bepone wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:13 pm Difficult question, ask them about what is the working voltage of EL84's?
If is around 320VDC then they have very pleasant sound, if is more (360-400V) this will be very nervous!

I assume that is more 360V+ because claimed power= 20W

At 300-320VDC will be more like 14-15W, still enough because there is no detectable loudness difference between 15-20W.
Okay, so I asked them and got this reply:
"ODS EL84: Transformer made of 290V, DC 360V. "

So it's 360V as you assumed. It's a pass then? Will it sound shit?
bepone

Post by bepone »

dependng of the output transformer ratio but i never liked amps with higher voltage on EL84 , like marshal 18W ( better lovered to 14W), also i never liked mesa 5:25 (EL84 on 400VDC) etc etc
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

VolkerStaub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:45 pm Hey there,

They offer a 20W hand-wired ODS for the very competitive price of 750$ to my door! I know that the word China alone might trigger some of you guys but let me tell you:
I know several folks who ordered there and they all got their amps and are actually happy. Build quality is reported to be better than expected!
“Better than expected “

“Actually happy “

Subjective terms heavily dependent on relativity . I was once actually happy playing a hello kitty guitar … better than expected …
Charlie
VolkerStaub

Post by VolkerStaub »

WhopperPlate wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm

“Better than expected “

“Actually happy “

Subjective terms heavily dependent on relativity . I was once actually happy playing a hello kitty guitar … better than expected …
What's your point here? Or you just wanna spread some hate?
bepone

Post by bepone »

Is telling you that you cannot collect experiences-descriptions from the net and know the sound of the some new amplifier, also the same is valid for the youtube clips
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

VolkerStaub wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:44 pm What's your point here? Or you just wanna spread some hate?
I don't see any hate in this post at all. You asked an opinion and Charlie gave it...
Ian
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

VolkerStaub wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:44 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm

“Better than expected “

“Actually happy “

What's your point here? Or you just wanna spread some hate?
What bepone said .

Hate doesn’t have anything to do with it. On the contrary , it’s compassion that motivates my sentiment.

Some people might consider spending 750$ and chasing their tail trying to turn it into the sound they imagined inside their head (while a great learning experience ) perhaps not worth their time and money .

At that price you can buy most of the parts and build it yourself , and customize it exactly as you wish ,but that might be more work than you bargained for as well .

And in the end some people would rather not think and just play . Paying a premium for something built to last by a knowledgeable builder is only something to shun if you can’t afford it , or because you feel you can build it yourself for less or better .

I am not judging you or anyone , there’s just many paths up the mountain . I am just attempting to inspire some objectivity in your choice. I wish you the best
Charlie