can this be done

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hebaton

can this be done

Post by hebaton »

I have A Traynor YBa-3 that was gutted and rebuilt as 1 a Fender Twin reverb channel, and an ampgeg channel. IT is a 100 watt amp using 6CA7 power tubes and has HUge trannies ! NO choke.
COuld this be tranformed in something close to an ODS and, if so, Are there schematics I could acces somewhere ?

thank you !
martin manning

Re: can this be done

Post by martin manning »

Sure. Just keep the power section as is, and graft on an ODS preamp from one of the layouts in the files section. The biggest difficulty will probably be rearranging the front panel, and it's really not too far out.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

+100

And those amps are brilliant sounding . Great iron . You will more than likely have an exceptionally great sounding amplifier any way you approach her
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

hebaton wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:44 pm I have A Traynor YBa-3 that was gutted and rebuilt as 1 a Fender Twin reverb channel, and an ampgeg channel. IT is a 100 watt amp using 6CA7 power tubes and has HUge trannies ! NO choke.
COuld this be tranformed in something close to an ODS and, if so, Are there schematics I could acces somewhere ?

thank you !
Look at the dumble files . Get ready to go down the rabbit hole . Have fun reading
Charlie
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

Well thanks guys, to be honest/clear, I don't have the knowlage or skills to do this myself. Anyone in Canada willing to undertake the challenge ? I would hire someone to do it if I can find...
GPD

Post by GPD »

Yes,

I have actually already done this with both a Traynor YBA-3 as well as the Plush copy (4000G) of the Traynor YBA-3. The YBA-3 is actually more like a 120 Watt RMS amp in all actuality. B+ is is right around 550VDC on the plates at idle and will not pull down very much under load. Traynor used Hammond iron, Plush used Northlake. Both are very high quality but the Plush has a particularly nice choke included...which I am a fan of. The Pete Traynor designed pre-amp is actually quite clever...it is a tube-based, Twin-T notch filter arrangement using negative feedback to give a true active tonestack. Migrating the pre-amp to a Dumble ODS (V1, V1 & V3) means you lose all of this...no big deal. You will have to work out the dropping string values to get the voltages to these three tubes where they need to be...a bit of math and a little bit of trial and error. You will end up with a very Dumble sounding amp...it'll have more bottom end punch compared to your typical 4 x 6L6GC or 4 x EL34 based ODS courtesy of the beefier iron. If you already have the donor Traynor...go for it. Plush 4000G's are out there and generally cheap when you find them...so that's another option. Iron is interchangeable between the Traynor and the Plush. BTW, the later Plush 4000G has a multi-tap OT...2/4/8 ohm secondary taps...that's a nice option. The early Plush 4000G has a single tap secondary.

Plenty of room on the chassis of either amp for the mod's...but be forewarned the chassis is steel and with that comes some challenges, particularly with high plate circuits. Pay close attention to grounding and lead dress.