Questions about Dumble #124

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gmribeiro

Questions about Dumble #124

Post by gmribeiro »

howdy folks.
Newbie here. I built two tube amps, one kalamazoo clone, and a JCM 800 clone I modded many times over operating as a class A amp (driving a KT88 tube). I'm not saying this to say how much I know... more like how much I do not know and I will be prone to make stupid questions!

For my next project I wanted to build a #124 (and maybe that could even be a bad idea), but using the preamp driving a push-pull power stage with two EL84. What am I trying to accomplish (and please educate me in my ignorance)?
1 - a Dumble-like tone, since the power section is not exactly the #124;
2 - learn a bit more how to extract mids and high end (I use strats, and my JCM clone is perfect for humbuckers, not too good with my single coils);
3 - implement an effects loop using solid state metropoulos (https://store.metropoulos.net/products/ ... 1459615239) - it worked great with my JCM!!
4 - a lower power Dumble. With the EL84 nature.

Questions:
1) is this a stupid idea, or are there other pathways I could pursue?
2) is a different power section going to wash away all the Dumble tone, or it will just color it? In my limited experience, and for the conditions I chose, I do not see much change in messing with the power section. But as I said - I have very limited experience.
3) has anyone tried different power amps driven by the #124 preamp? What is your experience?

Thank you for your time.
Cheers!
medeiros
martin manning

Re: Questions about Dumble #124

Post by martin manning »

The ODS power amp is clean (low-distortion), so if you set up your EL84 power amp similarly, there is no reason you can't get ODS tones. You will have to avoid over-driving it, and of course it won't have quite the same feel as a 100W power amp.

There are a couple of different strategies for single-coils you can use, including the FET booster and mid boost.

The Metro loop should work fine.

PS Start a new thread. The Files section is for documents. Maybe this can be moved to the discussion section.
gmribeiro

Post by gmribeiro »

Dear Martin,
thank you for all the info, and the reminder of starting a new topic! Apologies, and thank you for educating me. Will transfer the discussion to the main forum.
Cheers!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Moving questions from a files thread to here.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!