TT dumbleator on Ceriatone OTS MINI

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wahmi

TT dumbleator on Ceriatone OTS MINI

Post by wahmi »

hi
I know what you think of Ceriatone on the forum, but I try.
I have a second-hand ODS mini, very good amp, except for FX loop
I bought the TubeTown Dumbleator and I have some doubts about the assembly (usually I only do stompboxes).

I would like to integrate it into the amp to keep the « easy to go » of OTS mini:

https://ceriatone.com/wp-content/upload ... y-2020.jpg
https://www.tube-town.net/info/datenbla ... leator.pdf

Here i got (« X » on ceriatone layout):
IN A : ??
IN B : R
OUTPOUT : C
B+ : L
Ground : on ground…

I would to use present send/return ( in / out) jacks on amps, not on dumbleator PCB, do you think it’s a good idea ?
erwin_ve

Re: TT dumbleator on Ceriatone OTS MINI

Post by erwin_ve »

wahmi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:54 pm hi
I know what you think of Ceriatone on the forum, but I try.
I have a second-hand ODS mini, very good amp, except for FX loop
I bought the TubeTown Dumbleator and I have some doubts about the assembly (usually I only do stompboxes).

I would like to integrate it into the amp to keep the « easy to go » of OTS mini:

https://ceriatone.com/wp-content/upload ... y-2020.jpg
https://www.tube-town.net/info/datenbla ... leator.pdf

Here i got (« X » on ceriatone layout):
IN A : ??
IN B : R
OUTPOUT : C
B+ : L
Ground : on ground…

I would to use present send/return ( in / out) jacks on amps, not on dumbleator PCB, do you think it’s a good idea ?
From what I can tell the distance between pcb jacks is not compatible with the fx loop jack distances on the OTS mini.
So next question , where do you mount the pcb board? I guess there isnt much room left in the amp.

Erwin
wahmi

Post by wahmi »

Thanks, yes it's small

I would like to put the 12AX7 on the chassis, use the existing jacks and pass the cables to a 1590B enclosure with the PCB screwed to the headshell farthest from the power tubes
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Honestly I would save myself a lot of trouble and buy a Fuchs verbrator and mount that in the headshell.

Reason is: mounting the tube in the chassis and putting the pcb relatively far away is asking for problems with long runs of wire to and from the tube.
And specific points were to ground to avoid ground loops.
You can search for members here building their Overdrive Special with built in Dumblelator and what they ran into.
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi wahmi, hi Erwin,

I'm describing my experience with the creation of a Dumblator, I state that after hearing how much it positively influences the sound of amplifiers I regretted not having created it years ago. :wink:

1) intrigued by the articles on TAG of those who had already made a Dumblator, I bought a U1 aluminum container which, due to my lack of clear ideas, and I'm talking about how to make it because there was no shortage of layouts on TAG, remained stationary some years.

2) a couple of years ago I bought a TT kit and once it was made I realized that the distance between the send and return jacks was not that of the classic holes on the Dumble chassis and therefore I could not insert it, the project stood still pending of ideas... muble, muble, muble (the sound of ideas). :roll:

3) I bought a 4-hole 12AX7 chassis and boards from Erwin to build a 3rd Gen Hybrid project with reverb or with a Dumblator inside (I still didn't have a clear idea). After a first failed attempt to build a Dumblator in the chassis I decided to build a stand alone Damblator with the U1 container and a toroidal transformer purchased from TT that I had at home and which will turn out to be too big for the needs of the device.
P.S. I used the old Send and Return holes I made years ago and therefore had to disconnect one output from the TT board.

The basic idea was to have a Dumblator that could be used with all the amps I built instead of just one amp.
After this somewhat naive creation, following my obsession to build everything as best as possible, but also for an aesthetics fact (even if once the U1 container was closed, the "spaghetti" scattered inside would not have been seen) I purchased a card produced by AA Electronics to give a definitive and appropriate shape to the Dumblator.
I have already used AA Electronics boards with excellent results (https://www.aaelectronicspcb.com/products).
Here are some photos of the first build.

A hug. Franco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franco mezzalira
wahmi

Post by wahmi »

thanks Jazzbass & Erwin.

I already bought TT KIT.

I will listen your advices and your experience and change to a standalone Dumbleator.

I have a 1590XX enclosure for some years to build a small all in one effetcs, think it can be good with enought airflow.

I would to stay with a very compact and light rig, i move a lot my amp, so the TT V pump or any 12V/230 DC could be better for me than Transformer.

What about that ?
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

If you want the dumbleator in your amp, i think i would just use a L shaped aluminium sheet and mount the whole dumbleator board and tube on there. Mount it on the chassis and drill one or two holes for the cables.
The tube will be horizontal, but that is no problem. With the top of the tube facing the transformers and the board on the back of the sheet there should be no hum issues.
A long time ago I build a reverb into an old Marshall like that.
wahmi

Post by wahmi »

Yes was my first idea with 125B enclosure.
easyer to put socket on stompbox backplate

I will try, thx for advice. Will trace it.
wahmi

Post by wahmi »

Somebody for where find 200-300 VDC ?
wahmi

Post by wahmi »

i think i will use an pedal enclosure positionning like that, with the 12ax7 facing the OT.
PXL_20230401_164716923.jpg
I can use this 2 holes to pass wires between amp &PCB.
PXL_20230401_164719962.jpg
It can be very proper like that with enclosure scewed in the wood.
PXL_20230401_165007451.jpg
i think i will use stock IN/OUT jacks for send and return, something like that :
OTS-Mini-modif.jpg
I dunno how to find B+ 200-350 VDC in amp ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

I would not screw the box to the wood. How will you get the chassis out when the cables are installed? And i think you also need a place for the the drive and output pots on the chassis. For the B+ I think you better make a separate supply voltage with an extra dropping resistor and cap connected to the choke/screen supply.

But now that i see the layout, i think it could get very tight and a separate dumbleator might be a better way to go.
wahmi

Post by wahmi »

Finally i made a standalone box.

I am doing a test and I have -12 V at the input, I look at the transformer, it is + in the center. meanwhile I reverse the + and the - at the input of the connector and the transistor smokes...

the resistor that pulls the face in the middle of the pump is functional, the paste broke but I tested it, it's just ugly.

I've no idea
PXL_20230423_193122003.jpg