#124 Build Videos

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

michaelwwesbrook

#124 Build Videos

Post by michaelwwesbrook »

Thought I'd share this here - I've made a couple of videos about my recently completed #124 build. The first follows the process from beginning to end (20k foot view, not super detailed but gives you a good feel for the processs) and the latest is a live stream with Q&A and lots of playing with different guitars.

Also, a big thank you to everyone here. I couldn't have dreamed of doing this without the people who make this forum what it is. I'm loving the amp more and more every time I play it.

Build Process Beginning to End -
https://youtu.be/FPrQqmDKuy0

Live Stream w/lot of playing with different guitars (markers are added through out)
https://youtu.be/v0FoXf8-ACM
WhopperPlate

Re: #124 Build Videos

Post by WhopperPlate »

Sounding good and looking good ! Great Job :D
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That's good fun! Starting-up for the first time never gets old. Nice demonstration, and others take note, that careful observation of the bulb limiter can tell you if things are progressing normally. Different amps (tube or ss rectifier, cathode or fixed-bias) each have their own signature. Nice tones right out of the gate!
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

I noticed your observations on the clone volume compared to the real deal that you played at carter vintage guitars . The real dumble was “louder” you say . More “unforgiving” perhaps? Please elaborate more . Appreciate the input! Thank you!
Charlie
michaelwwesbrook

Post by michaelwwesbrook »

I’d take this with a grain of salt as there is at least 5 years between the 2 but I remember the actual Dumble being very fast, immediate and loud. I don’t remember the settings or even the particulars of the amp other than I’m fairly certain it was an ODS head. I have noticed with mine the master volume starts to really come in after 6 or so. Almost the opposite of others I’ve played. My Matchless C-30 doesn’t get any louder after noon.

My #124 feels very Fendery with a natural and light compression. It’s responsive but doesn’t feel like you’re totally exposed if your playing isn’t perfect. I remember feeling the opposite with the Dumble. I still haven’t gotten mine on stage yet but looking forward to that day!

Maybe the master was all the way up or turned up very loud on the actual Dumble and that contributed to what I remember?

EDIT: Just found pics. It was early 2015 and it was an Overdrive Reverb once belonging to Rick Vito. I’ll add pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Funny you mentioned the pot; most production pot nowaday are 1M log 10% taper which mean at noon they are on 10% of their rated resistance value.
The older Fender pots were 30% log taper, which is 30% of their rated resistance value at noon and likely what is in Rick Vito's Od reverb.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Just saw your Youtube videos, great job Michael.
Thanks for posting the pics of the Overdrive Reverb amp.

Cheers
Guy
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

michaelwwesbrook wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:46 pm I’d take this with a grain of salt as there is at least 5 years between the 2 but I remember the actual Dumble being very fast, immediate and loud.…

My #124 feels very Fendery with a natural and light compression. It’s responsive but doesn’t feel like you’re totally exposed if your playing isn’t perfect. I remember feeling the opposite with the Dumble.
This is seems to be a commonly observed aspect of clones . I believe much of this has to do with transformers.

In my opinion those Hammond power transformers lend themselves to this soft compressed response . I have made a few amps with them and they tend to feel squishy and bouncy in a way that comes across as not so powerful or punchy, even just power transformers with different OT. Just my 2 cents .

Thanks for elaborating further!
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

erwin_ve wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm Funny you mentioned the pot; most production pot nowaday are 1M log 10% taper which mean at noon they are on 10% of their rated resistance value.
The older Fender pots were 30% log taper, which is 30% of their rated resistance value at noon and likely what is in Rick Vito's Od reverb.
+1

But ya know , looking at the front panel I don’t think that overdrive reverb has a master volume …that would certainly lend itself to feeling “ unforgiving”…and loud
Last edited by WhopperPlate on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Didn't these typically have dual masters on the back panel?

-Dan
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

dbharris wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:45 pm Didn't these typically have dual masters on the back panel?

-Dan
Sorry my bad, I forget the overdrive on these don’t have a ratio knob. Level is the master .

Here are a few more from the dumble book , including the Rick Vito ODRS
648B39E2-1714-4130-B39A-9791A6654956.jpeg
1EE8DEA3-8459-4073-8D0C-036E57B6F596.jpeg
DFA2E41B-9CDF-449D-86B7-CBCADDE33ED4.jpeg
C51CBFF2-DC12-463C-8892-6D83E50DA7D2.jpeg
D1B8CD1D-D53A-4FC2-B35E-18CD4A0F05AE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

No apologies necessary Charlie. And thanks for sharing those pages from the dumble book, very cool!

-Dan
talbany

Post by talbany »

Glad it all worked out for you Michael. Amp sounds good! Congrats.

Enjoyed the video!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"