Dumbleator II build.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gktamps

Re: Dumbleator II build.

Post by gktamps »

Looking good!
I really like the flat pack style transformers. I have several pieces of high-end audio gear that use them, and I've designed some low-voltage power supplies for audio and test equipment projects that use them. They work well and fit into tight spaces, and are a joy to use on PCBs. Hammond, Triad, and others make them with the same footprint.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

I'm curious to see how you fit the choke eventually. I was under the impression the old C3Xs were too tall to fit into the chassis standing up but the new one's - which I suppose are reissues - were smaller and would fit upright. On paper at least :lol:

Do you see any benefits to mounting it on its side with the coil windings on their side relative to the power transformers?
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Stephen1966 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:54 am I'm curious to see how you fit the choke eventually. I was under the impression the old C3Xs were too tall to fit into the chassis standing up but the new one's - which I suppose are reissues - were smaller and would fit upright. On paper at least :lol:

Do you see any benefits to mounting it on its side with the coil windings on their side relative to the power transformers?
I'm not sure if you meant to give this idea or not however I tried to see if it would fit if I mounted it directly to the back and it does seem to fit and the wires are long enough to reach the spot where I have the choke in/out. (see attached). I hope the radiation isn't too bad.
gktamps wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:51 pm Looking good!
I really like the flat pack style transformers. I have several pieces of high-end audio gear that use them, and I've designed some low-voltage power supplies for audio and test equipment projects that use them. They work well and fit into tight spaces, and are a joy to use on PCBs. Hammond, Triad, and others make them with the same footprint.
Thank you!! This is very helpful. I have not seen too many designs using them so I'm glad to hear they work really well for you! Seem to be a great choice for minimal radiation and voltage/current secondaries. I also didn't know the footprint is common with the different brands. That makes things a whole lot easier!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

rccolgan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:07 pm
Stephen1966 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:54 am I'm curious to see how you fit the choke eventually. I was under the impression the old C3Xs were too tall to fit into the chassis standing up but the new one's - which I suppose are reissues - were smaller and would fit upright. On paper at least :lol:

I'm not sure if you meant to give this idea or not however I tried to see if it would fit if I mounted it directly to the back and it does seem to fit and the wires are long enough to reach the spot where I have the choke in/out. (see attached). I hope the radiation isn't too bad.
gktamps wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:51 pm Looking good!
Thank you!! This is very helpful. I have not seen too many designs using them so I'm glad to hear they work really well for you! Seem to be a great choice for minimal radiation and voltage/current secondaries. I also didn't know the footprint is common with the different brands. That makes things a whole lot easier!
There's a way to test it or course, with headphones if you don't have a scope. I'm just thinking of the original (with PT outside the chassis/choke withing) and with the choke coils at 90 degrees to the PT coils, but still... PT on the outside of the chassis.

I don't imagine this is going to give you any real problems but I was curious to see if a modern production C3X could be mounted screwed to the base and still fit inside the 1U chassis.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

@Stephen1966 - the transformer does indeed fit standing straight up and down. At first, I thought it would not fit because it's 1mm or so too tall but then I realized my chassis had a small panel gap between the top and the bottom and now I'm 99.99% positive the choke fits even if there is a slight flex to the chassis top/bottom. Thanks for the extra push to test fit this stuff!
Ryan
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Alright keeping the momentum up on this one. I have PCBs on the way next week to verify the build, parts, and documentation. I will have PCBs, BOMs, etc. available to members here after I verify things. :D

2023 is the year of the Dumbleator! lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan