Bluesmaster, dual reverb version

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rootz

Bluesmaster, dual reverb version

Post by rootz »

And not the sh*tty Marshall type dual reverb.
Meet former Ultraphonix From Hell, now Bluesmaster dual reverb. UFH was nice as long as it lasted, but I wanted to try other ideas, without building myself yet another amp.
In short: Bluesmaster ala Tony's layout crossed with an abbreviated ODRS #60 reverb, with some twists!
Single reverb send control on the back of the amp, dual reverb return for clean and od on the front. 2xEL34. Dual GZ34 rectifier, switchable to solid state rectification. Switchable between fixed (high power) en cathode bias (low power). Foot switchable FET. Mega boost with 500k trimmer. Officially the amp with the least NOS parts I ever build. Koa Speer CF1/2 and MF1/2 resistors. Nichicon QXK and Xicon MPP caps. 50k mid pot.
Friggin' additive amp, much to my surprise.
Oh and the 47pF bright switch in Tony's layout? Flat out useless. What do you guys use? I ended up with 150pF there, but might go higher still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Re: Bluesmaster, dual reverb version

Post by Guy77 »

I am working on a HRM as well. I have always used 120pf or 150pf on my other D Style builds. I didn't like using anything higher or anything lower.
I also notice that when you crank the volume the effect of the bright switch diminishes.
Beautiful looking build.
This reverb looks different than the reverb on the Bloomfield Drive since I noticed there is no 68K resister feeding the reverb from V1b and going to V2a like the Bloomfield or the SSS #002 or the JM.
I am sure it sounds great!

Cheers

Guy
rootz

Post by rootz »

Like I said: ODRS#60 type reverb. That is, it is post od reverb. The 68k (is it?) in the Bloomfield feeding V2a is indeed more like the JM or the likes.
What kind of pots are you going to use Guy? I ended up using all Alpha pots, no J-taper pots anywhere. But is that the right choice for a Bluesmaster? Layout seems to indicate so. It's just that the gain seems to come on rather late on the level dials.
I wouldn't call this a gainy amp. #94 has much more gain, although of entirely different flavour. Doesn't really remind me of a JCM800 2203/4 either.
Will you be building a Bluesmaster too Guy?
bepone

Post by bepone »

rootz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:23 pm And not the sh*tty Marshall type dual reverb.
Meet former Ultraphonix From Hell, now Bluesmaster dual reverb. UFH was nice as long as it lasted, but I wanted to try other ideas, without building myself yet another amp.
i'm doing the same :lol: :lol:
very nice build
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:46 pm Like I said: ODRS#60 type reverb. That is, it is post od reverb. The 68k (is it?) in the Bloomfield feeding V2a is indeed more like the JM or the likes.
What kind of pots are you going to use Guy? I ended up using all Alpha pots, no J-taper pots anywhere. But is that the right choice for a Bluesmaster? Layout seems to indicate so. It's just that the gain seems to come on rather late on the level dials.
I wouldn't call this a gainy amp. #94 has much more gain, although of entirely different flavour. Doesn't really remind me of a JCM800 2203/4 either.
Will you be building a Bluesmaster too Guy?
Hi Bas, thanks for the update. Yes I will be using all Alpha pots as well and KOA Spear 1/2 CF in the signal paths and 1 watt MF or CF combination on the plates.
I am building this amp in a couple weeks its a SE HRM with High Plates with no reverb. I am adding an adjustable Line Out jack as well and may tweak the plate resistors to Low Plate values if I don't like the High Plates.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... rm&start=0

Congrats on another great build!
Guy
rootz

Post by rootz »

Single ended Dumble amps, I always wanted to know how that would sound. Have you done that before?

Edit: never mind Guy, the answer is obviously yes lol.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm Single ended Dumble amps, I always wanted to know how that would sound. Have you done that before?

Edit: never mind Guy, the answer is obviously yes lol.
Hi Rootz sorry for the late reply.
This is actually my first time doing a D Style amp that is single ended.
I will report my finding in the next 3 weeks.

Cheers!
Guy