xtian

Re: 1970's Dumble OD-50W ODS available on Reverb

Post by xtian »

Free shipping, so no complaints.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
bepone

Post by bepone »

interesting story and approach about Dumble, how he was selling those, and picking clients :P
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Dumble must have updated this amp later right? Looks like he removed the silk screen for overdrive special on the front, added a pot (master?) there to the right of the accent switch (now mid) and also added a pot out back (presence?). Original level is now ratio? Full effects loop too and relabeled.

Strange there is no mention of that. Yes, prices are nutty but this is LP burst rarity type gear....

-Dan
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

dbharris wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:38 pm Dumble must have updated this amp later right? Looks like he removed the silk screen for overdrive special on the front, added a pot (master?) there to the right of the accent switch (now mid) and also added a pot out back (presence?). Original level is now ratio? Full effects loop too and relabeled.

Strange there is no mention of that. Yes, prices are nutty but this is LP burst rarity type gear....

-Dan
according to the interview it seems to be all stock . But I would have assumed the same thing.
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

When listening to the interview where he discusses the original price , I can’t help but notice this displayed tendency for people to assume that HAD was going to deliver anything for free to anyone, like some angelic benefactor to the music industry.

Obviously HAD wasn’t always exactly up front with pricing, that is self evident, but it’s always cute when players assume they are special enough to get things for free…let alone a Dumble amplifier…

One friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, once owned several dumbles …he is ashamed to say that he sold them off to essentially finance his night life …years later someone amazingly offered to GIVE him a free Dumble … he refused the gift because he didn’t feel like he deserved to have another Dumble after his disrespect…fwiw
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Interesting that HAD couldn't make a 100W that had "it" for this guy. Of course, he is hoping to get almost a quarter million for this amp, so...
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I thought that was the most interesting part of the interview. That there was some element of chance in the construction and assembly. Something Dumble wasn't able to control. A notion not consistent with his legend. There is ample evidence that the 'it' factor varied with his amps.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Smitty wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:35 pm I thought that was the most interesting part of the interview. That there was some element of chance in the construction and assembly. Something Dumble wasn't able to control. A notion not consistent with his legend. There is ample evidence that the 'it' factor varied with his amps.
Robben Ford mentioned the same about an #102 'clone' dumble build for him, which according to HAD, it was as close as he could get, but to Robben never sounded the same. In this instance he didn't compare amps side by side, just went with his documentation. It was an interesting interview, wish I had it at hand, will try to find it on YouTube when I have some time
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:25 am
Smitty wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:35 pm I thought that was the most interesting part of the interview. That there was some element of chance in the construction and assembly. Something Dumble wasn't able to control. A notion not consistent with his legend. There is ample evidence that the 'it' factor varied with his amps.
Robben Ford mentioned the same about an #102 'clone' dumble build for him, which according to HAD, it was as close as he could get, but to Robben never sounded the same. In this instance he didn't compare amps side by side, just went with his documentation. It was an interesting interview, wish I had it at hand, will try to find it on YouTube when I have some time
Jackson Browne and David Lindley have made similar comments.
bepone

Post by bepone »

each D is made with different material.. so it wasnt possible to repeat the results (or yes but was no intention?)..small electric details but critical and big as a mountain in the ears of picky guitarists..
for some reason it was like this.. i can speculate - what was in the local store available in that time? :P
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

I wonder what was the 100 watt serial number…
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:00 pmI wonder what was the 100 watt serial number…
He said it was black suede, but didn't want to say who he sold it to. Given the very early vintage of the 50W, I'm guessing it's a pretty low SN.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

martin manning wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:58 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:00 pmI wonder what was the 100 watt serial number…
He said it was black suede, but didn't want to say who he sold it to. Given the very early vintage of the 50W, I'm guessing it's a pretty low SN.
Maybe it’s 55…but then again it would make two amps sound closer if you used the same speaker lol…so maybe not…

But then again, a combo isn’t going to sound like a seperate head and speaker cabinet …so that “it factor” might just be dependent on some poor design choices by the client … :mrgreen:

He also mentions hanging out at the Pagoda when he started the 100w…anyone know how long he was stamping “Santa Cruz, California” on the back panel , and if he did after he moved away to Pasadena? If not , then this would likely be a later serial number…but I can’t help but notice the similarities between 22 and 55
IMG_2780.jpeg
IMG_2779.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:25 am
This one? https://youtu.be/LO-QZNeIBYU