Santana Dumbles

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Santana Dumbles

Post by Bombacaototal »

fenderbender4 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:24 pm I guess my other question (in the timeline of Santana owning that amp), would the recorded "Game of Love" song have been when the ODR was in its original state? I heard Dumble modded it into an HRM/post-OD reverb model, whereas I'm not sure what it was before exactly. I think Dave Workman owned it before Santana.
I don't think it's an HRM as there is no additional board on top of the goop
bepone

Post by bepone »

dbharris wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:35 pm .... But, a voltage regulator (like what is normally used for a relay supply with the doubler circuit) can output 1.5A comfortably,
not even close.
if is taken min 2.5V input (14.5V) over output 12v , so dissipation on this max current 1.5A = 2.5*1.5 is cca 4W, 4W even with big heatsink will burn that regulator.
confortably means 0.3A, what is enough for 2x 12ax7
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

bepone wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:07 am
dbharris wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:35 pm .... But, a voltage regulator (like what is normally used for a relay supply with the doubler circuit) can output 1.5A comfortably,
not even close.
if is taken min 2.5V input (14.5V) over output 12v , so dissipation on this max current 1.5A = 2.5*1.5 is cca 4W, 4W even with big heatsink will burn that regulator.
confortably means 0.3A, what is enough for 2x 12ax7
Hi Bepone, maybe I am misunderstanding the datasheet (very possible)? Here is a link to PDF of the one I looked at in TO-220 package. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... UQRXTDtCpq

It says power dissipation is 15W. I assume that is with very good heat sink and best practice would be to not meet that limit. Would you mind explaining where I have gone wrong? Much thanks.

-Dan
bepone

Post by bepone »

dbharris wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:36 pm It says power dissipation is 15W. I assume that is with very good heat sink and best practice would be to not meet that limit. Would you mind explaining where I have gone wrong? Much thanks.
usually this regulator for long life and reliability you can use with 1W and with heatsink,
theoretical 15W needs to be taken out, means very big piece of aluminium, but for sure during the sommer external temp will preheat all to
over +35 deg.C and this will be melted.
for hi power regulators 12V there are metal versions in TO3, like LM338K, or LM78H12K
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I was looking back at the gut shot of 57 and noticed a large ceramic cap (maybe .1uF) on the supply of the reverb transformer. Any idea of what this is for
jelle

Post by jelle »

From what I can see, that Overdrive reverb looks identical in the phase inverter section to a 90s Dumble ODS that I worked on a few years back. And the separate Reverb controls: I have seen this in a Dumble ODR before. Both amps I had the pleasure of working on were under a 'do not share' basis.

Also, I agree that this looks like an older amp that was converted, another possibility is that Dumble had spare chassis for a lesser popular model (ODR), and was finally able to use a 20 year old chassis for a client. We may never know. Thanks for sharing!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

jelle wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:01 pm From what I can see, that Overdrive reverb looks identical in the phase inverter section to a 90s Dumble ODS that I worked on a few years back. And the separate Reverb controls: I have seen this in a Dumble ODR before. Both amps I had the pleasure of working on were under a 'do not share' basis.

Also, I agree that this looks like an older amp that was converted, another possibility is that Dumble had spare chassis for a lesser popular model (ODR), and was finally able to use a 20 year old chassis for a client. We may never know. Thanks for sharing!
It was originally build in 1972. But yes, modified at some point.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 pm
jelle wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:01 pm From what I can see, that Overdrive reverb looks identical in the phase inverter section to a 90s Dumble ODS that I worked on a few years back. And the separate Reverb controls: I have seen this in a Dumble ODR before. Both amps I had the pleasure of working on were under a 'do not share' basis.

It was originally build in 1972. But yes, modified at some point.
i always heard from the rumor mill that Santana originally found a used model that didn’t do what he wanted . seemingly that correlates with this.

By that point wasn’t Dumble phasing out ODS production? The guitar wank interviews discuss him saying a similar thing to John Mayer about no longer building ODS. Stands to reason as I am unaware that of any other specimen that late in his career .
Charlie
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

DUMBLE build a ODR for Santana in 2007
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:32 pm DUMBLE build a ODR for Santana in 2007
You can see that amp in this video if you stop it at the 26 sec mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQfmlE_cvDc

Here is a live video of him playing the same amp. You can see it behind him at the 8 sec mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NlKbAMm5Mc

He really likes to run it with that Marshall 4x12. I wonder what speakers are in there?
Happy Friday
G
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Guy77 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:36 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:32 pm DUMBLE build a ODR for Santana in 2007

Here is a live video of him playing the same amp. You can see it behind him at the 8 sec mark

He really likes to run it with that Marshall 4x12. I wonder what speakers are in there?
Happy Friday
G
Marshall cab has Celestion G12M Greenback, but he has moved on from them for a while now

On the two videos you posted is a Brown cab with tone tubby red alnico
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:56 pm
Guy77 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Happy Friday
G
Marshall cab has Celestion G12M Greenback, but he has moved on from them for a while now

On the two videos you posted is a Brown cab with tone tubby red alnico
Thanks. He is running a lot of speakers here!
I am sure that is a big part of his sound.
Cheers
Guy
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Not only that, he plays insanely loud.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:10 pm Not only that, he plays insanely loud.
I remember reading somewhere that Santana felt his dumbles didn’t give up the goods until real loud. Bludotones achieved that easier at low volumes
Charlie
biggysteve

Post by biggysteve »

Brandon from Bludotone and the amp’s previous owner have confirmed in separate threads and forums over the years that Carlos’ #57 is a rebuilt 1977 ODR, similar to #60 in that it sat around Dumble’s shop as a prototype platform for tweaks and mods, up until the early 90’s. It has a Skyliner tone stack, voiced somewhat similar to Robben Ford’s amp and (surprise) a PRE-OD reverb circuit, which likely adds to the amp’s unique character in the lead channel. The amp also has separate send controls for the reverb circuit in each channel. Perhaps a deliberate decision so you can dial down the effect of overdriven reverb tone when channel switching? Bonus: Look closely and you’ll see an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail reverb sitting on top of Carlos’ head on that live Game of Love clip lol! Additionally: that Marshall cab was loaded with Greenbacks and Vintage 30’s in an X pattern.

His second main ODR amp was a donor amp built in the 90’s (Serial number 19x). Dumble rebuilt it sometime in the mid-2000’s to voice it as close as possible to #57. Brandon has been inside both of these.

Within the last few days, ODR #60 has surprisingly appeared on Santana’s stage rig sitting on top of his 4x12. I guess he’s still trying to collect the whole set!

A good example of these amps with the overdriven reverb in play is in this clip, where Carlos dubbed lead fills in the studio over this live performance. Almost a chorus-y effect on the tone.

Last edited by biggysteve on Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:00 am, edited 4 times in total.