Santana Dumbles

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fenderbender4

Santana Dumbles

Post by fenderbender4 »

This may have been answered elsewhere but I love the tone Santana has gotten on the tracks “Game of Love” (Michelle Branch version) and “Feeling You” (coincidentally also Michelle Branch Vox). To me the lead tone doesn’t have the “grit”raggedness” to it. Almost like a compressor is in it but the dynamics are there and the pick attack sounds like the amp is on the verge of blowing up. Does anyone know what exactly the circuit is that Santana’s amps are? Also, is that type of lead tone inherent to the ODR circuits, or just Santana’s? I’m not a builder but does anyone make a good clone of it possibly? Never have heard an amp sound like what Santana’s tone is like.
WhopperPlate

Re: Santana Dumbles

Post by WhopperPlate »

When it comes to Santana… Bludotone is probably the best resource for info or a clone…
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Need to get the details. If the OP is referring to the recorded versions of Game of Love, 2002, and I'm Feeling You, 2005, those would predate the switch to Bludo, wouldn't they?
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

martin manning wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 pm Need to get the details. If the OP is referring to the recorded versions of Game of Love, 2002, and I'm Feeling You, 2005, those would predate the switch to Bludo, wouldn't they?
He asked “if anyone makes a good clone of it”… Bludotone is an easy bet right there …if anyone could…
Charlie
fenderbender4

Post by fenderbender4 »

martin manning wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 pm Need to get the details. If the OP is referring to the recorded versions of Game of Love, 2002, and I'm Feeling You, 2005, those would predate the switch to Bludo, wouldn't they?
Yeah, I'm talking of recorded versions, but even here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBgrtPbxOg (Dumble ODR) he gets the same type of tone. The preamp seems like it's folding in, almost like a fuzz pick attack, combined with that very smooth, "no grit" type of lead tone. I'm just kind of curious too on the circuit itself and the other types of tones available. Like full low-end/low mids or leaner/brighter etc. Good clean headroom?

Thanks so much!
NYC_Blues

Post by NYC_Blues »

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... on.419575/

The Max that posted in that thread posts/posted here.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

fenderbender4 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:41 am This may have been answered elsewhere but I love the tone Santana has gotten on the tracks “Game of Love” (Michelle Branch version) and “Feeling You” (coincidentally also Michelle Branch Vox). To me the lead tone doesn’t have the “grit”raggedness” to it. Almost like a compressor is in it but the dynamics are there and the pick attack sounds like the amp is on the verge of blowing up. Does anyone know what exactly the circuit is that Santana’s amps are? Also, is that type of lead tone inherent to the ODR circuits, or just Santana’s? I’m not a builder but does anyone make a good clone of it possibly? Never have heard an amp sound like what Santana’s tone is like.
The amp from the video below was an Overdrive Reverb, with the reverb post overdrive. Stop the video below at 1:58 and you will see the amp up close as he raises the amp volume to do his solo.
You can PM me if you have more questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBgrtPbxOg

He is playing one of his 2 Overdrive Reverb amps in this video from Super Bowl 2003 as well. Stop this video at 3:54 and you will also see the amp behind him. Beyonce is firing on all cylinders here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXuPbdSdeCM
5-9-2023 11-11-14 AM.png
During the "Feeling You" video he is playing his 2nd Overdrive Reverb amp ( he owns 2 of them). I attached a pic of it below. Stop the video below at 0:26 sec and you will see the amp behind him with the full size knob at the far right. Weather this is the amp that made it to the final recording of this video is another question but you can see it's turned on at least.

One of his 2 Reverb amps has a tube buffered effects Loop installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQfmlE_cvDc
5-9-2023 4-50-47 PM.png
One of his 2 Reverb amps may actually take the reverb from the first preamp tubes v1b to v2a just like it was done on some of the SSS amps and the earlier ODSR amps. I always felt these had the nicest sounding cleans. The JM amps have reverb done in the same way too.

Here is a pic of a Overdrive Reverb that is later than the #60. It is an over #80 serial number and it has the reverb coming from v1b to v2a just like the early #13 Overdrive reverb and the JM and the SSS. Seen by red arrow.
Capture2.jpg
Capture3.JPG
Cheers

Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fenderbender4

Post by fenderbender4 »

NYC_Blues wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:53 am https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... on.419575/

Is his handle just Max here?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Guy77 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:12 pm
fenderbender4 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:41 am This may have been answered elsewhere but I love the tone Santana has gotten on the tracks “Game of Love” (Michelle Branch version) and “Feeling You” (coincidentally also Michelle Branch Vox). To me the lead tone doesn’t have the “grit”raggedness” to it. Almost like a compressor is in it but the dynamics are there and the pick attack sounds like the amp is on the verge of blowing up. Does anyone know what exactly the circuit is that Santana’s amps are? Also, is that type of lead tone inherent to the ODR circuits, or just Santana’s? I’m not a builder but does anyone make a good clone of it possibly? Never have heard an amp sound like what Santana’s tone is like.
The amp from the video below was an Overdrive Reverb, with the reverb post overdrive. Stop the video below at 1:58 and you will see the amp up close as he raises the amp volume to do his solo.
You can PM me if you have more questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBgrtPbxOg

He is playing one of his 2 Overdrive Reverb amps in this video from Super Bowl 2003 as well. Stop this video at 3:54 and you will also see the amp behind him. Beyonce is firing on all cylinders here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXuPbdSdeCM

5-9-2023 11-11-14 AM.png

During the "Feeling You" video he is playing his 2nd Overdrive Reverb amp ( he owns 2 of them). I attached a pic of it below. Stop the video below at 0:26 sec and you will see the amp behind him with the full size knob at the far right. Weather this is the amp that made it to the final recording of this video is another question but you can see it's turned on at least.

One of his 2 Reverb amps has a tube buffered effects Loop installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQfmlE_cvDc

5-9-2023 4-50-47 PM.png

One of his 2 Reverb amps may actually take the reverb from the first preamp tubes v1b to v2a just like it was done on some of the SSS amps and the earlier ODSR amps. I always felt these had the nicest sounding cleans. The JM amps have reverb done in the same way too.

Here is a pic of a Overdrive Reverb that is later than the #60. It is an over #80 serial number and it has the reverb coming from v1b to v2a just like the early #13 Overdrive reverb and the JM and the SSS. Seen by red arrow.

Capture2.jpg
Capture3.JPG

Cheers

Guy
Super insightful guy, thanks for sharing this!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

fenderbender4 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:05 pm
NYC_Blues wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:53 am https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... on.419575/

Is his handle just Max here?
Yes.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

And a very well gooped gut shot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:56 pm And a very well gooped gut shot
Oooh I haven’t seen that one yet . Happy
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Interesting to compare this ODRS with one featured in several Japanese videos . Notice the precision power supply vs the old doghouse.
IMG_2716.png
Charlie
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

And part of the back of that amp. The 2 screws in the DUMBLE logo are corresponding to that PCB mounted to the back. Not sure what it is but maybe a later addition, as the power supply seems to be too
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:13 pm And part of the back of that amp. The 2 screws in the DUMBLE logo are corresponding to that PCB mounted to the back. Not sure what it is but maybe a later addition, as the power supply seems to be too
I betcha this was an older Santa Cruz made unit (obviously ) that was modified or rebuilt for Santana to suit his style . As mentioned , the precision power supply is strong evidence to suggest such .

The extra pcb looks like a relay board. Probably for the reverb . Follow the shielded cables .
IMG_2921.jpeg
Charlie