Santana Dumbles

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Santana Dumbles

Post by Bombacaototal »

It's an interesting amp, sn 57, coax looks like later amps (similar to bludo and AN use - anyone know what maker it is?) as does the power supply, but there are some super early components like the Mallory brown drop and piher..

sn 58 is the rick vitto, point to point tantalum amp, 59 is the one Mayer had that is now with Keith Urban and 60 is the purple suede combo that AN is offering a clone of now
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:21 pm It's an interesting amp, sn 57, coax looks like later amps (similar to bludo and AN use - anyone know what maker it is?) as does the power supply, but there are some super early components like the Mallory brown drop and piher..

sn 58 is the rick vitto, point to point tantalum amp, 59 is the one Mayer had that is now with Keith Urban and 60 is the purple suede combo that AN is offering a clone of now
Thanks for posting those inside pics of Santana's amp , the one he used in concert while playing "Game of Love".

With all the large caps (large red and orange caps) around the v3 preamp tube its making me wonder if that is the mixer tube for the clean and reverb signal.

Cheers
Guy
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Guy77 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:15 am
Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:21 pm It's an interesting amp, sn 57, coax looks like later amps (similar to bludo and AN use - anyone know what maker it is?) as does the power supply, but there are some super early components like the Mallory brown drop and piher..

Thanks for posting those inside pics of Santana's amp , the one he used in concert while playing "Game of Love".

With all the large caps (large red and orange caps) around the v3 preamp tube its making me wonder if that is the mixer tube for the clean and reverb signal.

Cheers
Guy
Mixer looks like v4 to me. 3 tube reverb. V5 is OD, v6 PI.
Charlie
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

And V2 is definitely the reverb driver. The ungooped trimmer at the begining of the board is probably for the FET.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:21 am And V2 is definitely the reverb driver. The ungooped trimmer at the begining of the board is probably for the FET.
V3 is the reverb driver. V1 can't be seen from the angle, but if you look at the photo of the back of the amp there is 3 valves before the cap can.
The trimpot is used to set the clean level to the mixer circuit. That's if its similar to ODR #13 and other pre-reverb-OD circuits.

Thanks,
Aaron
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks everyone. This Santana Overdrive Reverb is actually looking a lot like the #80 I posted below.
It also has the OD tube as v5, the reverb driver as V3 and mixer as V4. We cannot see v1 clearly in the inside photo of #58 but it may stand to reason that it is also taking its reverb signal from v1b to v2a with a resistor.
Capture.JPG
This would make this #58 amp (picture posted below) sound different than the Rick Vito amp #60.
5-9-2023 11-11-14 AM.png
I always preferred the sound of the amps that grabbed the reverb from v1b to v2a, the same way that the JM and the Overdrive Reverb #13 and some SSS amps have it done.
Santana sure sounds amazing while playing Game of Love with this amp in the previously posted video with Michelle Branch.
I think we have made some new discoveries on how this #58 has been put together!

G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Layout does seems more it less identical to #80. “Made in Santa Cruz” again confirms the likelihood of this topology. Practically same layout and component placement , looking at the reverb circuit and od circuit . Comparing the two photos and it doesn’t take much to see where the tell tale shielded cables are running . Can anyone read this color code? I am gonna assume that’s your 68k reverb send.

IMG_2977.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I believe the angle is too tight for us to see the 56k of 68k resistor size commonly used to feed the reverb from v1b to v2b. That other resistor maybe used for the local feedback on V1b, 10M or 22M. One thing I noticed for sure was the blue wire from the reverb transformer coming out of the rubber grommet and feeding the V3 reverb driver tube.

Great work in helping to document this amp Aaron, Charlie and Bombacaototal.

Cheers
G
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

These are the pics I have of #13. Did anyone ever get a good resolution of the handwritten sketch (attached?)
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

I hope someone chimes in with a higher-resolution scan. I used photoshop and some AI plugins to see if I can make it a little more legible.... Too big for TAG

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNGkRFaQx3NrkTGb8
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No scan, but I did this layout & schematic years ago.

Thanks,
Aaron
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks Aaron!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Since we are on Santana's amps topic, I always found interesting the idea of the pedal power supply that Bludo did on his UT amp.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

I have no clue what Bludotone did in that circuit. But, a voltage regulator (like what is normally used for a relay supply with the doubler circuit) can output 1.5A comfortably, for instance LM7812. You would just order a relay transformer like Hammond P-T166L6 (or spec a custom wound PT with an extra wonding) to provide enough capacity for the extra current of running a pedal in addition to any relays.

-Dan
fenderbender4

Post by fenderbender4 »

I guess my other question (in the timeline of Santana owning that amp), would the recorded "Game of Love" song have been when the ODR was in its original state? I heard Dumble modded it into an HRM/post-OD reverb model, whereas I'm not sure what it was before exactly. I think Dave Workman owned it before Santana.