2nd Gen ODS 50 build - first try

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mattbedrock

2nd Gen ODS 50 build - first try

Post by Mattbedrock »

Hi -
I started building amps a little over 10 years ago but I have never tried anything as complicated as an ODS. I usually post my builds in another forum (TGP), but since I’ve been using all the great info here as my main source, I thought it only fair to post my build thread here instead. I’m a little scared, since you folks are a bit intimidating, but I thought you’d get a chuckle out of my efforts.

I’m using modern parts (much of it in stock in my workshop). I’ve generally used Classictone transformers, but since they went belly up, I ordered Hammonds for this project. I ordered Blackface Bassman spec parts, 290EX PT, 1760L OT and 194B choke.

My usual first step is to layout the chassis blank on a piece of cardboard (in this case, a Miller Highlife 18 pack) and create eyelet board layouts on card stock printed from my computer. I cut out the chassis flat on a bandsaw and drill everything with my drill press. Like this:

And away we go!
Matt
rccolgan

Re: 2nd Gen ODS 50 build - first try

Post by rccolgan »

Welcome to THIS forum, Matt! Super cool project and I admire your deep DIY effort on this! Impressive!

Did you punch your own chassis too? Looks great!

-Ryan
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Wow off to great start! Looking forward to watching this build.

-Dan
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Wow, great work! I'll definitely be following this build
Ian
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Nothing but respect. This is labor intensive, looking at your pics you definitely know what you're doing.
Following!

Erwin
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Welcome. You've come to the right place. :D

It will be interesting to see what you use for a bending brake.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

Here’s the completed chassis and the faceplate. It’s sitting on top of my cardboard chassis layout.

I braze the corners with a torch and alumiweld brazing rods.

Someone asked how I bend up the chassis. Here’s a picture of another build with the electromagnetic box and pan brake at my wife’s shop that I use.

It’s a cool device but it will squish a finger if you’re not careful!
Matt
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

Here’s the chassis with the transformers and tube sockets mounted. I’m using ceramic sockets on this build with shield bases on the nonal’s and spring clips on the octals because the chassis will be hanging tubes down in the cabinet. I also like big washers on the transformer bolts to spread the load. I am using a separate Triad F-313x transformer for the relay power but also bought a couple of 12v 1a linear voltage converters in case that doesn’t work out. I mount the boards in 1/4” phenolic standoffs with lock washers. They’re just sitting in place to confirm fit.

On the back panel, I like using press in IEC power connectors. I also use flush mount fuse holders (hate the Fender style ones that stick out and shear off) and a press in convenience socket. I don’t use the convenience socket much, but sometimes run an outboard reverb unit or an echoplex. Typical dual speaker jacks with a shorting main and a non shorting extension. I drilled and put in jacks for either preamp out or an effects loop, but I haven’t decided whether I will wire it up. Not a big loop user. Finally, an XLR chassis connector for a foot switch. I haven’t decided if I’m going to do just overdrive or add PAB (preamp boost?) as well. As you can tell, I’m keeping my options open as I stumble down this path.
Matt
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

Here’s my faceplate and back panel labeling:

I’ve tried a number of different methods, including stencils, silk screening, etc, but this is the easiest and cosmetically acceptable to me.

Front panel installed and populated:
Matt
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Very nice.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Looks very nice indeed.
Sorry - stupid question but how do you do your faceplate lettering, please?
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

Tim -
No, that’s good question. I said what I don’t do, not what I did.
I painted the faceplate with off white spray paint. I printed out the lettering on full sheet stick on label material. Cut them to size and stuck them on the faceplate and the back of the chassis. Sprayed a couple of coats for clear coat over them for protection.

Because the sheets are 8x11”, you have to print them in two sections and carefully line them up. You only get one try at it. If you look closely you can see the seam.

When I do multiple amps of the same type, I go through the trouble of making a silkscreen, but for a one off like this, this method is quick and easy and looks ok if you don’t look too close.
Matt
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

Time for the fun part to start. Populating the boards with components. Caps first.

It looks like folks here like orange drops, but I’m a Mallory 150 guy. No shade on the orange - I’ve used them and they’re great. I just bought 150’s in bulk years ago and I’m still working off my inventory. They have been dependable and sound good to me.

Loading up the rest of the boards. I have Koa Speer 1/2w carbon film resistors by the bunch load. I’ve always bought 100 of what ever value I needed and built up a good supply. This amp made me buy a bunch of values I’ve never used before. Pretty funny after building a lot of amps. 2.2k, 180k, 22k, 3.3k, 3.3m, 51k, 1.2m, 56. No worries, I have a lifetime supply now.

The CDE 1000uf 80v caps I bought for the relay power board are giant. Took me a little finagling to get them to fit.
Matt
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

I like to wire my IEC with black hot covered with heat shrink to reduce the risk of “bites”. 120vac stings a bit. Ground (green) goes to a dedicated lug on the chassis.

It always looks like mayhem when you throw the wired boards into the chassis. Time to make some sense of this chaos.
Matt
Mattbedrock

Post by Mattbedrock »

The front panel wiring is really something. That’s a multi hour adventure!

Chances of me getting that 100% right? Slim.

Bias/rectifier board and relay power supply.
Matt