Gil's #124 updated?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

EdG

Gil's #124 updated?

Post by EdG »

Does anyone know or did I miss that if Gil ever got to update his #124 with the resistors that he talked about that he got from Jelle for the #102 build, that was an incredible story! Just curious if it was updated and what the outcome was, I'm sure it was good if he got the chance to update. I had both in my clone before hearing about these upgrades, I ended up goingback to the 1984 #124 version but it sounds thin in comparison, though the sweeter Fender tones are there, I think I may migrate back towards the #124 Skyliner. My Old Bandmaster (#102 Skyliner circuit) sounds great with these updates :)
ayan

Re: Gil's #124 updated?

Post by ayan »

EdG wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:46 pm Does anyone know or did I miss that if Gil ever got to update his #124 with the resistors that he talked about that he got from Jelle for the #102 build, that was an incredible story! Just curious if it was updated and what the outcome was, I'm sure it was good if he got the chance to update. I had both in my clone before hearing about these upgrades, I ended up goingback to the 1984 #124 version but it sounds thin in comparison, though the sweeter Fender tones are there, I think I may migrate back towards the #124 Skyliner. My Old Bandmaster (#102 Skyliner circuit) sounds great with these updates :)
I did, Ed, and here is the thread from almost 4 years ago:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32645

Both amps, high and low plate Skyliners, benefited form the makeover tonewise. Probably the best thing that happened is that I managed to convince myself that I had really reached the point of diminishing returns at that time, so I've left my amps alone ever since. Each one basically kept its original DNA, the makeover just made the sound a little sweeter. 007 is still my gigging amp, is a little squishier sounding than the other, and is the quietest of all the amps I built. It has New Sensor Corporation Marshall-style PT and OT and I always wondered if that would be the reason for its distinct sound. But, I never built another one like it, so I'll never know. The the high plate 102 amp has Fender Twin-style Heyboer iron. I run JJs E34Ls in both, probably because I bought a bunch of them back in the day and they proved to be reliable through the years. Throughout their many configurations and tube compliments over time, both amps maintained their primary characteristics and differences.
EdG

Post by EdG »

Hi Gil, that is great news! Thanks for sharing your results, very interesting information.
Ed
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

I noticed that the NFB resistor was a Beyschlag resistor, so I decided to try a 2 watt there and I am floored by the results...so much so that I ordered some Iskra to test in the spot where Gil changed his.

I have had no luck sourcing Q-Line resistors, might have to go to Lawndale and talk to an old friend,,,

Never would have thought that one resistor of a different manufacture would make such a difference in the tone of an amp...

Amp is a 124 with the Skyline, replaced the resistors with a set from Jelle and that was a big improvement in the amp.