which one to build now?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ang3lus

which one to build now?

Post by Ang3lus »

Hey all,

I'm starting up again and wanting to build a new amp dumble style, i've built a 102, which ended up similiar to 124 which ended up kinda weird, after years of tweaking (because we are never really done are we), i've changed the tone stack to a bluesmaster, left the OD #102, and a bluesmaster (marshall) PI, it still doesnt sound quite right, there's alot of fuzzy bass while overdriving, kinda hard to dial out, i'm going to live with it for a while and see how what i will do with it.

anyways, to my new build, i've got a donor amp, fender PT OT and choke and i was thinking about building a ripper type circuit (the BM tonestack with CF in the OD section), putting the tone controls on the chassis like a normal TMB, what is the latest guesslike-ripper schematic ? the one by 10thx ?

are there any suggestions for a different circuit ? i want to be done with this in 3-4 months, hopefully i will succeed
rootz

Re: which one to build now?

Post by rootz »

Depends on what you are after. More Marshall flavour: Bluesmaster, ripper or rock/ultraphonix. Smoother: high plates like #94 or 102. More Talk to your Daugter like tone: 124/low plate classic. I’m not to experienced with 2nd and 3rd gen circuits, but to me it sounds more Dumble than a Bluesmaster does.

I did a Bluesmaster the last time. Experimented with different caps, DME, nichicon qxk, 715p, 6ps, MPP. I ended up going mostly DME in the preamp and MPP in the power amp. Leads to a plenty bright amp, bit still the lows are rather fuzzy in OD. Might be the wiring, maybe the caps or resistors. Don’t know. I accepted it as a feature, because I tend to like a bit fuzzy low end.

Furthermore, ive yet to hear a Dumble style amp that had realtight low end in OD. I think there is just to much low end happening in the preamp for that.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

The schematic by glasman was what I used to draw this Ripper along with components from the 50W layouts. I couldn't see what the PT gridstopper values are, so I listed one as 1K5 and the other at 4K7 (FRIEDMAN), but they could be something else. Hope this is helpful. All advice welcome if it needs corrections.
ODS RIPPER DRAFT.pdf
EDIT: For some reason, this file did not print the junctions on the schematic. I've never seen that before. I will try and fix/repost. Meanwhile, enjoy.
EDIT 2: KiCAD has a PDF printing bug that omits certain drawing shapes. How convenient. Anyone know how to solve this? I just downloaded the latest update and no change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ViperDoc on Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just plug it in, man.
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

Thanks! I can't wait to build it, I wonder though of I could get rid of the fuzzy lows somehow
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Ang3lus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:35 pm Thanks! I can't wait to build it, I wonder though of I could get rid of the fuzzy lows somehow
Try leaving the amplifier on for a few days and let everything break in . New parts tend to have all sorts of inconsistent and undesirable sonic characteristics.
Charlie
bepone

Post by bepone »

rootz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:11 am Furthermore, ive yet to hear a Dumble style amp that had realtight low end in OD. I think there is just to much low end happening in the preamp for that.
you can play with cathode resistors in V1, and also coupling cap V1b-47nF to 10nF , 715 or 716 ,maybe wil improve :wink:
rootz

Post by rootz »

Yes, those solutions are tried and true. And off course fuzzy is not just due to an abundance of low end.

I think I'd start with the #189 v2 setup floating around: no bypass cap on V2a. Somehow I never like the added gain; without it the sound is more open IMHO. I think full stack lift when in OD is a must too. But yeah, build it and please share your process and results. I think many would love to hear the outcome.