Amp-top Midi switcher question

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luthierwnc

Amp-top Midi switcher question

Post by Luthierwnc »

Hi All,

I’m debating whether to sell my Dumble clone or play it. It has a built-in Dumbleator (tube activated loop). It would make sense to put the delay and reverb in that loop on top of the amp – which is where I could use a little advice.

In a four cable setup we’re looking at another 20 feet (6 meters) of cabling with possible capacitance and RF noise for two pedals that I would almost never need to change settings mid-song. All I’d want to do is cut them on or off – if that.

An out-of-production device called the Switch Gizmo seems to do that with a midi control footswitch. Voodoo Labs, Engl and a couple others make something similar. I already have an antique midi control pedal. From a totally different angle, it would be easy to make something with a couple 6v mini relays but that doesn’t address buffers or signal levels – possibly ground lifts.

Has anyone got a 2023 solution that I can use for existing pedals? Don't need a rack arrangement.

Thanks, as always, Skip
xtian

Re: Amp-top Midi switcher question

Post by xtian »

Cable run can be a concern between passive pickups on your guitar and the amp or pedalboard--this is where long runs can dull the top end due to cable capacitance. But this is not an issue after your signal gets buffered--no worries about signal loss with 4-cable-method.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com