am I ready to build a dumble style amp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wsaraceni

Re: am I ready to build a dumble style amp?

Post by wsaraceni »

wsaraceni wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:51 am
dorrisant wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:11 pm Try converting your Express into a Rocket, or Rockster instead (since you already have the octal sockets there). It is close to the same parts count but much more forgiving to build.

In basketball, seeing the ball go through the hoop from a short distance has a psychological affect on the brain in that it makes it easier to make a second shot from a step or two back. Meaning... Give yourself an easier goal to obtain before trying a harder one. The success will help advance your skills to the next level. This principal applies to so many things in life, it is amazing.

You have probably heard the phrase "baby steps". Same principal, same reasoning.

My express is now a rocketish build. At least somewhat. It’s something like an 18 watt z wreck and 18 watt rocket mixed together. I used 18 watt Marshall transformers though.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

anyone with experience building a small special 100? seems like the simplest dumble to start with. wonder how it sounds.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Isn’t the small special simply an ODS without the OD? Seems to me like that could be a very good clean only or pedal platform. You could experiment with several different clean preamps. I guess period correct would be something like a 2nd or 3rd gen (not sure really), but you could also pair it with a Bluesmaster clean preamp. Yes, that would be a Bluesmaster but without the OD stage. Probably the best cleans you can get out of an ODS.
Even simpler though, would be a Dweedledee. That is a hotrodded tweed deluxe though.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

With this thread still ticking along , at this point perhaps if you are putting this much thought into building, maybe you are ready to tackle anything you want … just make good use of the search function and read up on the treasure trove of advice and genius on this forum and you will be golden .

Pay heed to the wisdom here and you will be fine with whatever you do. Take it easy, measure twice and cut once as they say, and don’t rush . If you have a question then ask it in the search bar , and if you can’t find an answer someone else will be happy to help.

The journey is the destination. Cheers.

Best of luck
Charlie
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

What he said...

Also, I have built a few Small Specials and they are great. Easier vs an ODS due to the lack of relays, but not lacking in tone at all.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
alnight

Post by alnight »

I just recently built my first D-style amp by doing exactly as these gentlemen suggest. It is a very educational experience and I am just now getting it sounding just about right. I'm really enjoying it.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

dorrisant wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:32 pm What he said...

Also, I have built a few Small Specials and they are great. Easier vs an ODS due to the lack of relays, but not lacking in tone at all.
there you go. I think im going to source the parts and start this route. I really want a great clean amp so feel like this would be worth the jump into it. I probably have most of the parts except for a chassis, boards, and transformers
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Let me know if you need some boards.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

rootz wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:05 pm Isn’t the small special simply an ODS without the OD? Seems to me like that could be a very good clean only or pedal platform. You could experiment with several different clean preamps. I guess period correct would be something like a 2nd or 3rd gen (not sure really), but you could also pair it with a Bluesmaster clean preamp. Yes, that would be a Bluesmaster but without the OD stage. Probably the best cleans you can get out of an ODS.
Even simpler though, would be a Dweedledee. That is a hotrodded tweed deluxe though.

this is where the scope creep kills me. if I could go with "the best cleans I could get out of an ODS" and add in a passive loop, that would be perfect.

but when I pull up the bluesmaster schematic it's different enough that I dont want to take the chance of trying to build it. like the SS100 has treble and bass. the BM has TMB. all those relays in the drawing really confuse me. I am considering taking the plunge in the deep end and just going for that type of thing
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

My low-plate 124-ish ODS has a really good clean channel. That is probably the most accessible ODS, well documented, and the major parts and board sets are easily had. No need to obsess over tracking down rare components either. It will sound just fine with modern off-the-shelf parts.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

wsaraceni wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:27 pmall those relays in the drawing really confuse me.
Just ask.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
alnight

Post by alnight »

If you're interested in an ODS style without the relays, Normster's 16x8 layout is on here somewhere. Might be a good option to look at.
rootz

Post by rootz »

I understand one can get overwhelmed by the complexity of an ODS. But trust me when I say that the different ODS amps are more or less variants of one another. That is where I and many other members (I admit I take some liberty here) can help you: make the variant you want.

So, let’s assume you have a (verified) small special schematic. That is some sort of clean only ODS. No relays, no OD stage. Let’s say you really like the Bluesmaster cleans (just as an example). Then I can help adjusting values in the layout to Bluesmaster values. It’s not difficult once you understand the basics of an amp and/or an ODS. You’ll get to understand more along the way.

On a side note: there already is something like a clean only Bluesmaster. It’s called the Ultraphonix mod for a Bandmaster. There are plenty of video clips of either Bluesmaster clean or a Dumble modden Bandmaster. The modded Bassmans are something different though.

I must also note that IMHO ampgarage is one off the best and most helpful forums I’ve ever had the pleasure off visiting and being on.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

What is the exact sound you are looking for?

Be precise.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

Stephen1966 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:28 pm What is the exact sound you are looking for?

Be precise.

I actually haven't thought about that. I guess im looking for a great clean pedal platform amp that isnt something I could just go and buy. I really love the two rock Mayer amp and the current traditional clean but I could just buy that, I dont need to build it, I'd love a clean tone on the fuller side that isnt muddy.

but honestly, I just want to build another amp. and something single channel that isnt like a champ or deluxe, that I feel comfortable doing. to be honest, ive heard plenty of great dumble clean tones, so thats why I thought the small special would work. but now that I am researching I have so many questions for myself. like why did it go with Treble /bass instead of TMB? how hard would it be to add fx loop (passive or active)? do I want to go 50 or 100 watts? do I follow the simplified layout here or just build an actual clean side only of an ODS with the full TMB, 3 switches, FX loop,. etc. lots of things I need to decide.