The search function is your friend

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stephen1966

Re: The search function is your friend

Post by Stephen1966 »

GAStan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:33 pm I'm new here but have been using forums since Deja News was a thing...Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to contribute.

Looks good Stephan. One suggestion, maybe mention the users here are from all over the globe and consequently many speak English as a second (third?) language. This makes photos, schematics and audio clips even more useful in getting good responses.
True, there are a number English-as-a-second-language users here already and so things like the use of colloquialisms and humour have to be tempered with cultural expectations. I don't have a problem with these and I think the native speakers are adept at conversing with these non-native speakers - cultural differences accepted. I haven't witnessed any problems there, but in any case, it's good to provide a number of different media when explaining a problem. Native and non-native speakers alike.

Or, I don't know, do you think there is anything we can do to improve the guidance?

[Edit: added a clarifying sentence.]
Last edited by Stephen1966 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

P.S. It's funny, the little snapshot of the search boxes has been viewed 37 times already :lol: They are literally right there at the top right of everyone's screen.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Bravo Stephen. Epitomizing the generosity of amp garage members , thank you
Charlie
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:54 pm Bravo Stephen. Epitomizing the generosity of amp garage members , thank you
Thank you for suggesting this... and please feel free to add anything I might have overlooked.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Stephen1966 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:42 pm
GAStan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:33 pm I'm new here but have been using forums since Deja News was a thing...Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to contribute.

Looks good Stephan. One suggestion, maybe mention the users here are from all over the globe and consequently many speak English as a second (third?) language. This makes photos, schematics and audio clips even more useful in getting good responses.
True, there are a number English-as-a-second-language users here already and so things like the use of colloquialisms and humour have to be tempered with cultural expectations. I don't have a problem with these and I think the native speakers are adept at conversing with these non-native speakers - cultural differences accepted. I haven't witnessed any problems there, but in any case, it's good to provide a number of different media when explaining a problem. Native and non-native speakers alike.

Or, I don't know, do you think there is anything we can do to improve the guidance?

I in no way meant anything derogatory and hope it is not taken that way. I work in a culturally diverse technical shop and we face communication challenges frequently. Photos and sound definitely help bridge the language barrier.

What you say about how this forum is absolutely true for the members that have been here. I was approaching it as a person that has not been here very long (I actually haven't been here long) and may not be aware of the cultural diversity of the forum because it is an English forum. My intent was to simply reinforce what you already had written about posting photos and sound clips.

As I said, only a suggestion.

Glenn
Glenn
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

GAStan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:13 pm
Stephen1966 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:42 pm

I in no way meant anything derogatory and hope it is not taken that way. I work in a culturally diverse technical shop and we face communication challenges frequently. Photos and sound definitely help bridge the language barrier.

What you say about how this forum is absolutely true for the members that have been here. I was approaching it as a person that has not been here very long (I actually haven't been here long) and may not be aware of the cultural diversity of the forum because it is an English forum. My intent was to simply reinforce what you already had written about posting photos and sound clips.

As I said, only a suggestion.

Glenn
Derogatory? Not at all! You make a very important point which is that this is a global forum even if the dominant language is English. The sentence I added hopefully clarifies the usefulness of including extra non-verbal information/media when searching for or requesting commentary from the (mainly) English speakers. I saw it as a very constructive suggestion, have no fear! The only question that matters is if it is clear enough.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Signing off now but I will return to this tomorrow. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming in...
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Stephen1966 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:08 pm
dorrisant wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:37 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:05 pm I'm fine doing that too, not hard. That looks pretty good to me. Any other input before I create the new subforum?

~Phil
Maybe something about how to post if you have an issue that you need help with. Be prepared to post voltages, pics, etc..
Good point. Always useful information to have at hand. I've edited the post above - what do you think?
Looks very good!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Okay Phil, It looks like everyone who was going to respond has responded now. I can't think of anything else...
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sounds like a plan, I'll create a FAQ section in each area, we can sticky that in the more general area, and people can start adding the common questions we get for say dumbles,tw's etc too? or do we think I should just create a generic FAQ section?

sorry for the slow response had a busy weekend outside.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I think it would be more efficient to have just one FAQ section at the top of the main page.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:31 pm Sounds like a plan, I'll create a FAQ section in each area, we can sticky that in the more general area, and people can start adding the common questions we get for say dumbles,tw's etc too? or do we think I should just create a generic FAQ section?

sorry for the slow response had a busy weekend outside.

~Phil
Hey! No worries, I've been enjoying my garden too :D I was thinking how some of what we wrote here had already been posted by Structo in the Welcome to the Dumble Amplifier Forum post https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18967.

It seems the message doesn't always get through to people even when it is posted at the top of a forum like that. I think anyone who has been around here for long enough knows the score and posts accordingly but it is these new (newish) members who often hit the problem of posting too vague a topic and getting too vague an answer to their issues. I mean, would it be an idea to send people this message when they sign up for the forum. I can't remember how that goes now - but isn't there some kind of acknowledgement email that goes out when a person signs up to become a member? Could the message be distributed like that?

I am as guilty of not seeing the wood for the trees as the next person so I don't think it is too hard to imagine that people don't see the message above when they first enter this (sub) forum, but I guess it's like the small print, half the time we just don't bother reading it.

I think if you create a FAQ for each area, you may be creating work for yourself. How often do people post in one area, only for it to be moved to another? I am all for the idea but then, who gets to decide what is a "frequently asked question"? Your moderation duties are going to increase as you filter out the wheat from the chaff. A generic FAQ which you can moderate as it's generated and then lock might be a better use of your valuable time. It seems true that most of these vague topics get generated in the Dumble Discussion forum but that may just be because on average, it sees more traffic. I don't think it is particular to Dumble forum users. There's no harm I can see in setting out some basic ground rules in a FAQ for each sub forum though. Files for files. Discussion for discussions. Fender for Fenders and so on. All this seems pretty clear to the regular users of the site (meaning it quickly becomes self evident), so for the initiates it doesn't need to go too deep.

P.S. The imperative, "READ ME" always gets my attention. FAQs don't have the same "call to action".
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

martin manning wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:52 pm I think it would be more efficient to have just one FAQ section at the top of the main page.
What something like here where I drew a blue bar (circled in yellow) just add an FAQ section with an FAQ forum? OR a General Forum Section with an FAQ forum?
FAQ.png
~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That's where I'd put it. A sub forum with some stickied posts at the top with the stuff you want people to read.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

martin manning wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:36 pm That's where I'd put it. A sub forum with some stickied posts at the top with the stuff you want people to read.
I'd go with that position too.

For Phil - But are you proposing a new sub forum where anyone can post (more or less specific) posts/questions? Or, an area only accessible by moderators to sticky threads from other areas. The first option sounds problematic to me. We really appreciate the work you do and I for one, don't want to see you becoming overloaded with work.

Could be fun to have a curated top page though...
Stephen
www.primatone.eu