2nd gen chassis and pcb design?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

2nd gen chassis and pcb creation; good idea?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:52 pm

Yes both chassis and pcb.
58%
Yes, but only chassis.
21%
No, Im loaded
11%
No, no interest.
11%

Total votes: 19

erwin_ve

2nd gen chassis and pcb design?

Post by erwin_ve »

Lately I havent been active around here, due to some unfortunate circumstances. It seems next week all is sorted out.

Last year there was a unusual amount of requests for a 2nd gen chassis and pcb set.

I could make a chassis and pcb design if there is enough interest?

Pls let me know your thoughts.

Erwin
martin manning

Re: 2nd gen chassis and pcb design?

Post by martin manning »

It would no trick at all to do a Second Gen circuit on the ODD eyelet boards in the files section. Maybe your ODS PCB could be used as well? Then you’d only need to do a Second Gen chassis.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:09 pm It would no trick at all to do a Second Gen circuit on the ODD eyelet boards in the files section. Maybe your ODS PCB could be used as well? Then you’d only need to do a Second Gen chassis.
Thanks for your input Martin. Agreed, the pcb are suitable for that purpose, maybe period correct isn't pcb anyway.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:30 pmAgreed, the pcb are suitable for that purpose, maybe period correct isn't pcb anyway.
I'm with you there. The chassis could go either way, even if the board dimensions for "period correct" would be slightly different... The board mounting holes would be easy for the end user to to finish up.

Do we even know the exact dimensions of the boards in the Dumble ODS amps?

To your knowledge are all of the ODS boards that are being produced for D clones the same size? The JBorders PCB's and preamp eyelet board set from ~10 years ago seems to have become the standard. That's how I sized the DIY board drawings in the files section, and of course Taylor used those for his set.
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

is there a schematic and not a layout for the 2nd gen ? been peaking my interest since that #22 demo
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:52 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:30 pmAgreed, the pcb are suitable for that purpose, maybe period correct isn't pcb anyway.
I'm with you there. The chassis could go either way, even if the board dimensions for "period correct" would be slightly different... The board mounting holes would be easy for the end user to to finish up.

Do we even know the exact dimensions of the boards in the Dumble ODS amps?

To your knowledge are all of the ODS boards that are being produced for D clones the same size? The JBorders PCB's and preamp eyelet board set from ~10 years ago seems to have become the standard. That's how I sized the DIY board drawings in the files section, and of course Taylor used those for his set.
The boards exact sizes remain unknown to me. The DIY board drawings are a good benchmark tho.
Studying several pics of 2nd gen amps chsssis without reverb seem to be around 19" width, 2 1/2" height, depth unknown but I will keep around 8".
Last edited by erwin_ve on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Ang3lus wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:11 pm is there a schematic and not a layout for the 2nd gen ? been peaking my interest since that #22 demo
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 49#p199346
#22 might be different, It has a master for both clean and drive?
Also a presence knob at the back of the amp.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

First steps are there, far from completed however:
ODS 2ndgen 2mm.jpg

Next step:
ODS 2ndgen 2mm v7.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Basics of the chassis are done and front artwork is done. Artwork is correct in size, the CAD program has a scaling problem for imported artwork, so it might look a bit off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Looks great! I would definitely order one of these and an SSS #002 set. I am already collecting parts for a 2nd Gen.

How hard is it to remove the silk screen logo if we wanted to add our own without needing a faceplate? Is the footswitch jack an XLR like the original? How does that size hole compare to a typical midi jack?

-Dan
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dbharris wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:35 pm Looks great! I would definitely order one of these and an SSS #002 set. I am already collecting parts for a 2nd Gen.

How hard is it to remove the silk screen logo if we wanted to add our own without needing a faceplate? Is the footswitch jack an XLR like the original? How does that size hole compare to a typical midi jack?

-Dan
Hi Dan,

Excellent choice! 2nd gen(hybrid)ODS and SSS002 are my favorite 2 amps of all my builds.

The " Overdraft" logo is a mockup. and will not be on the final artwork :) Just the standard labeling for the controls.

Before taking the chassis in production I'll put some more angled pics for review/ edits.

The footswitch "jack" is a typical switchcraft C3F XLR that is used on most 2nd gen pics I've seen. This switchcraft XLR is still available.
Totally not compatible with the typical midi jack but that is 2nd gen!
In case you want to add a extra button for your footswitch you can use the C4F. Same size and one pin more. I think mouser carries them.

Erwin
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:29 pm
dbharris wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:35 pm Looks great! I would definitely order one of these and an SSS #002 set. I am already collecting parts for a 2nd Gen.

-Dan
Hi Dan,

Excellent choice! 2nd gen(hybrid)ODS and SSS002 are my favorite 2 amps of all my builds.

The " Overdraft" logo is a mockup. and will not be on the final artwork :) Just the standard labeling for the controls.

Before taking the chassis in production I'll put some more angled pics for review/ edits.

The footswitch "jack" is a typical switchcraft C3F XLR that is used on most 2nd gen pics I've seen. This switchcraft XLR is still available.
Totally not compatible with the typical midi jack but that is 2nd gen!
In case you want to add a extra button for your footswitch you can use the C4F. Same size and one pin more. I think mouser carries them.

Erwin
Thanks for the info, that all sounds good! I don't really need extra functions but trying to keep it to 1 cord and 1 footswitch compatible across all of these amps. I'll figure out something even if it is a little XLR to midi converter box.

-Dan
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I think the chassis design is done incl artwork. Do you see errors, suspicious things, discussion etc., pls let me know in the comments.

A quick overview:
Material for design is 2mm (0.079") 5052 Aluminum
Overall Chassis Dimensions: 482.6mm x 63.5mm x 206.5mm ( 19" x 2.5" x 8.13")
127mm (5")Chassis mount spacing. Mounting holes compatible with the mk1000-3 anchor nuts.
Welded vertical supports
Optimized for board drawings by Martin Manning with corresponding mounting holes.

The idea is to use RAL9006(alu color) powdercoating with black silkscreen markings and fonts in 2nd gen style. see pics
ODS 2ndgen 2mm back.jpg
ODS 2ndgen 2mm back2.jpg
ODS 2ndgen 2mm top.jpg
ODS 2ndgen 2mm bottom.jpg
ODS 2ndgen 2mm side.jpg
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I added some 3d parts in the CAD program to the chassis to make sure everything fits. A few surprises came up and therefore had to move some holes.
The FET is really close to the main board but I think it will do the job.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Looks awesome! I am always amazed at everyone's skills around here.

I know you are going for a vintage accurate reproduction, but maybe consider an IEC knockout rather than the stress relief clamp?

-Dan