2nd gen chassis and pcb design?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

2nd gen chassis and pcb creation; good idea?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:52 pm

Yes both chassis and pcb.
58%
Yes, but only chassis.
21%
No, Im loaded
11%
No, no interest.
11%

Total votes: 19

erwin_ve

Re: 2nd gen chassis and pcb design?

Post by erwin_ve »

dbharris wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:19 pm Looks awesome! I am always amazed at everyone's skills around here.

I know you are going for a vintage accurate reproduction, but maybe consider an IEC knockout rather than the stress relief clamp?

-Dan
Thats a good point, It is no problem to add. I wanted the looks for the front and backpanel as close as possible to the the originals.
A knockout looks kind of whimpy IMO. I rather do with or without.
If more people like a IEC on the backpanel I will add, anyone?
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Looks really excellent Erwin - your SSS chassis are built like tanks and this seems to be a similar construction, right?

I’d vote for IEC
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

timrobertson100 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:27 pm Looks really excellent Erwin - your SSS chassis are built like tanks and this seems to be a similar construction, right?

I’d vote for IEC
T(h)anks!
The chassis are close to the original design, both share the same characteristics. The Sss around 3mm thick, 2nd gen ods around 2mm thick. I expect less "tank" from the ods.

IEC noted. :D
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Added a IEC cutout to the chassis and trying to make a pcb style 2nd gen board set with #38 as a example. The PCB will become black if I decide to take them in production.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

For the power inlet, I would do one or the other, not both. If the customer uses an IEC inlet, he has a small hole to cover. That's easy enough, and out of sight. However, if he wants to go for the original appearance with cable and strain relief, the covered IEC cutout will be very noticeable, defeating the intent.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

My vote is to have a standard d hole just like Dumble used to do. I hate the idea of those detachable cords on a guitar amp.
CW
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Martin , Charlie thanks for your input.
My initial thought was to make the front and backpanel as close as possible to a 2nd gen, without a IEC connector.
I have no problem with both, there is no right or wrong IMO but for ethics and historic correct value I will skip the IEC.

Erwin
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Somehow I think this "period correct" thing sometimes goes passed logic... If a "period" part is technically inferior.. why keep it? An interchangeable / detachable power cord would be an absolute benefit over the "old fashioned one.... and an absolute minor mod' to the design.. Just my 2 c's....
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Ok the reasons I don’t like them. The contacts loosen up on the cord side and I spent a bunch of time trying to track down noises and had it turn out to be the power cord. Also if the ground contact loosens them you have a safety issue. I have had numerous pro musicians complain about the amp cord coming unplugged while they are playing and then there is the “I forgot my power cord at home” thing. I cannot think of one reason that a hardwired power cord would be considered “inferior”.
CW
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Aurora wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:04 pm Somehow I think this "period correct" thing sometimes goes passed logic... If a "period" part is technically inferior.. why keep it? An interchangeable / detachable power cord would be an absolute benefit over the "old fashioned one.... and an absolute minor mod' to the design.. Just my 2 c's....
The question is why would anybody use a specific 2nd gen chassis when you can easily build them in the Ods chassis that are out there? Presence knob is a absolute benefit over the accent slide switch.
Bottom line: Logic over looks and I never would have started designing this chassis in the first place.
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

I’ll explain why I prefer IEC although I totally get the desire for accuracy, plus we can always drill out the IEC socket.

In Denmark, we have 3 different plug sockets widely in use (2 pin, 3 pin round and 3 pin slanted). Then there are the German (?) round with grounds on side, and French (?) round with the ground pin sticking out the wall. I have equipment with all these in my house. You can always (ha!) find an IEC cord in a venue but putting your hands on the plug adapter is a pain.

Other than that, I prefer the cord to come out when someone trips over the cable, rather than topple the amp or require a cord repair, and I like that a cable isn’t bent hard when lying an amp on its back.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

timrobertson100 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:10 am I’ll explain why I prefer IEC although I totally get the desire for accuracy, plus we can always drill out the IEC socket.

In Denmark, we have 3 different plug sockets widely in use (2 pin, 3 pin round and 3 pin slanted). Then there are the German (?) round with grounds on side, and French (?) round with the ground pin sticking out the wall. I have equipment with all these in my house. You can always (ha!) find an IEC cord in a venue but putting your hands on the plug adapter is a pain.

Other than that, I prefer the cord to come out when someone trips over the cable, rather than topple the amp or require a cord repair, and I like that a cable isn’t bent hard when lying an amp on its back.
Hi Tim, I fully understand your preference. In my previous ODS designs(the black ones in the sale section) I have both strain relief and IEC. When building my personal amps in those chassis I used the strain relief hole for a secondary fuse.
However I decided to go full period correct for front and back on this 2nd gen chassis.

Erwin
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I made the final chassis design ready for production.
Also made a pcb set, which is almost identical(except FET board and relay) to the 2nd gen layout.
Traces kept to a minimum and through holes sized like eyelets.
ODS 2ndgen 2mm home.png
Fet.JPG
Main.JPG
PsFilter.JPG
RectiBias.JPG
Relay.JPG
RelayFilter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Both chassis and pcb are in production!
A batch of 10 chassis and pcb.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Excited for this. Thank you for taking the time and effort on this project!

-Dan