BM OD low level

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lovetone

BM OD low level

Post by lovetone »

Sometime ago I built a Blues Master, I am very pleased with the overall tone including the OD which I really enjoy.

The issue I have always had is that the OD level is much lower than the Clean. Its never been a problem before but I would like to us the amp foe gigs and just can't get enough OD level in a bad situation.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? I have checked my build to the schematic and can't find any problems.

Cheers
jazzbass

Re: BM OD low level

Post by jazzbass »

Hi Lovetone,

can you please send photos of your amplifier, possibly in high resolution.

Franco
Last edited by jazzbass on Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franco mezzalira
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

lovetone wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:09 am Sometime ago I built a Blues Master, I am very pleased with the overall tone including the OD which I really enjoy.

The issue I have always had is that the OD level is much lower than the Clean. Its never been a problem before but I would like to us the amp foe gigs and just can't get enough OD level in a bad situation.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? I have checked my build to the schematic and can't find any problems.
Since the OD is working and sounds good, I would suspect something is not right between the OD 2nd stage output and the PI input, possibly an incorrect part value, bad solder connection, or wiring error. I would send some signal through the amp, and with the OD master all he way up, look for a drop in signal level starting at the OD output coupling cap. You will of course expect a large signal loss through the HRM. You could do this with a DMM if you don't have a scope.
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

It’s worth remembering that the OD of a BM is traditionally used in conjunction with PAB. If OD+PAD is lacking in volume, then yes, you have an issue, but it’s normal for a BM OD without PAB engaged to be lower volume.

I hope that helps.
'Beauty is in the ear of the beholder'
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

lovetone wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:09 am Sometime ago I built a Blues Master, I am very pleased with the overall tone including the OD which I really enjoy.

Cheers
Okay that may be the issue i'll check that out.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Have you tried adjusting the OD entrance trimmer?