High-plate Skyline build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ijedouglas

High-plate Skyline build

Post by ijedouglas »

I've been toying with the idea of building this amp with a 5-piece chassis and finally pulled the trigger. The chassis (19x7.25x2.5) and board dimensions were taken from an actual specimen and it is a lot smaller than the other chassis I have worked with. HAD built some spectacular amps but what has really impressed me with this build is how the hell a big guy worked in such a small chassis with such artistry and perfection. The other thing that really stood out for me was his attention to detail with his grounds.

Front/back panel: 2.5 in aluminum c-channel
Bottom panel: 19 x 7 1/8 in aluminum
Sides: red oak: 1/2 in
PXL_20230714_000402205.jpg
PXL_20230714_000411388.jpg
PXL_20230714_000421160.jpg
PXL_20230714_033246506.jpg
PXL_20230715_014836917 (1).jpg
PXL_20230725_020347476.jpg
PXL_20230719_031328277.jpg
PXL_20230726_234238306.jpg
PXL_20230728_215837440.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ijedouglas on Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ian
dbharris

Re: High-plate Skyline build

Post by dbharris »

Incredible work as always Ian. Looks fantastic!

-Dan
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Beautiful work Ian. Looks a lot like the #18x series with the wood sides.
Is the fet side covered with aluminum?
What kind of anchor nuts are u using?

Erwin
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

That's really cool!
bepone

Post by bepone »

how my metal work shops around get closed , and it is difficult to make something custom,
i was thinkig the same! it is back to the roots actually, and fully DIY! :mrgreen: no need for some bending machines or some workshop , where you are waiting for few months for something, it is ready immediately.. and easy to make holes on cnc nad then screw all together

i think next build i will go this route :wink:
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

bepone wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:28 am how my metal work shops around get closed , and it is difficult to make something custom,
i was thinkig the same! it is back to the roots actually, and fully DIY! :mrgreen: no need for some bending machines or some workshop , where you are waiting for few months for something, it is ready immediately.. and easy to make holes on cnc nad then screw all together

This is all handmade.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

erwin_ve wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:39 am Beautiful work Ian. Looks a lot like the #18x series with the wood sides.
Is the fet side covered with aluminum?
What kind of anchor nuts are u using?

Erwin
Thanks Erwin. Yeah, its a mid #017X amp. I used aluminium flashing for the FET side and the anchor studs are actually 4-40 into an aluminium threaded spacer.
Ian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

bepone wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:28 am how my metal work shops around get closed , and it is difficult to make something custom,

If you have access to a CNC this should be a lot easier. I drilled, cut and filed by hand and it was a hell of a lot of work but well worth it. I'm not sure if HAD used a CNC, looking at a few of the amps from that era, I suspect he took the same route as I did.
Ian
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Beautiful work. How did you do the white lettering please, Ian? It has come out very sharp.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

timrobertson100 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:28 am Beautiful work. How did you do the white lettering please, Ian? It has come out very sharp.
Thank you. I have a vinyl cutter and it does a great job. Sprayed with black gloss Krylon, applied lettering and then hit it with Krylon clear gloss. As I learned, make sure to leave at least 24 hrs. between coats. 3 failed attempts later and I finally learned the art of patience....
Ian
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

ijedouglas wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:01 pmI drilled, cut and filed by hand and it was a hell of a lot of work but well worth it. I'm not sure if HAD used a CNC, looking at a few of the amps from that era, I suspect he took the same route as I did.
You did it by hand ?!.

I was convinced that you had a CNC milling machine. That is great work you did on that chassis ... 8)
bepone

Post by bepone »

ijedouglas wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:01 pm
If you have access to a CNC this should be a lot easier. I drilled, cut and filed by hand and it was a hell of a lot of work but well worth it. I'm not sure if HAD used a CNC, looking at a few of the amps from that era, I suspect he took the same route as I did.
my friend has but then it is not possible to bend properly aluminium sheets 2mm,
so i was thinking this route, front+back plates, and top sheet, square holes for IEC sockets, proper speaker jacks holes (11.5mm-12mm) to not to make short circuit with chassis like some of Neutrik connectors doing with metal ferrule... and tube sockets, and half million other small holes.. via CNC..and assebly this way at home easilly..

i think HAD ordered externally build chassis/metal works, this is a lot of work for one person, at least 3-4 different proffesions (from metal, electronic, wood, tolex etc), to be made proffessional as it should...what we need to do all alone often in DIY world :P
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

bepone wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:42 am i think HAD ordered externally build chassis/metal works, this is a lot of work for one person, at least 3-4 different proffesions (from metal, electronic, wood, tolex etc), to be made proffessional as it should...what we need to do all alone often in DIY world :P
From what I understand, HAD built these 5-piece chassis himself as well as all the chassis and speaker cabs. I know at a later stage Kerry Wright built some of the speaker cabs for him and the later chassis look to be ordered from a metal shop.

A jigsaw, file, drill-press and hole-cutters will get you there :D
Ian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

A little more progress
PXL_20230731_010813755.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

His perfection? How do YOU do THAT!?

Stunning!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.