My #102 build --- a forum supported build :)

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

My #102 build --- a forum supported build :)

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Hi all.

I'm finally getting to building a #102. I was gifted the chassis, and board (an AA Electronics board) by professormudd

I also got a batch of components from Smitty that I'm using everywhere I can. I bought the OT and a choke from a forum member a while back, and I've got some other components like caps for precision power supply, etc.

I do have a question, I've seen a lot of the detail on this, and am still a bit confused. It seems that #102 was built one way, and then sent back and had the HRM done to it later? I have the layout that was posted here:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12873

But I took a schematic from the same thread that seems to be a bit different (subtle stuff like the od second stage showing a 1uF cap instead of 5 like the layout etc,) Is there a specific schematic I should use that mirrors the layout there? I've built a HRM version when I did the 183, but I seem to recall someone somewhere saying the updated version with HRM was preferred? Or am I mixing up amps here?

Either way, thanks to professormudd and smitty for the donations, and finally I'm getting to building it.

I'll need to buy a few more components I'm sure but I figured I'd put it all together as much as I can first to see what's missing :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Re: My #102 build --- a forum supported build :)

Post by xtian »

What components do you still need?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

As mentioned, I need to start pulling it all together.

I know i need a PT, might need a few more things like the on board pots, etc. I have a lot of my own things I've collected but am trying to use Smitty's parts first, before adding in more. He did give me some .086 uF caps that are NOS sprague, and mentioned I should use those in place of the .1 caps... seems like it's pretty close, and likely since it's not a bass amp is likely just fine, but open to feedback on that as well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:12 pmI do have a question, I've seen a lot of the detail on this, and am still a bit confused. It seems that #102 was built one way, and then sent back and had the HRM done to it later?
102 is a high=plate (220k/150k) non-HRM. According to the notes, the update was the change from Classic to Skyliner tone stack. I'd stick to the part values shown in the layout drawing in the first post in the 102 thread.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:58 pm As mentioned, I need to start pulling it all together.

I know i need a PT, might need a few more things like the on board pots, etc. I have a lot of my own things I've collected but am trying to use Smitty's parts first, before adding in more. He did give me some .086 uF caps that are NOS sprague, and mentioned I should use those in place of the .1 caps... seems like it's pretty close, and likely since it's not a bass amp is likely just fine, but open to feedback on that as well.

~Phil
I can send you a PT if you get the shipping (SoCal) 8)
Ian
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:58 pm trying to use Smitty's parts first, before adding in more. He did give me some .086 uF caps that are NOS sprague, and mentioned I should use those in place of the .1 caps... seems like it's pretty close, and likely since it's not a bass amp is likely just fine, but open to feedback on that as well.

~Phil
Those are early 6PS .082 with the circled 2. I might have measured and marked those. I think they might be closer to .09. I'd recommend using them and if your build is lacking in bass try sourcing some .1 caps. Those are really close and pretty nice caps. Some of the other caps might be 220P Difilm which I really like. Very smooth.

I think I sent a complete set of signal and bypass caps. Did I send resistors?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Smitty wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:54 am
pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:58 pm trying to use Smitty's parts first, before adding in more. He did give me some .086 uF caps that are NOS sprague, and mentioned I should use those in place of the .1 caps... seems like it's pretty close, and likely since it's not a bass amp is likely just fine, but open to feedback on that as well.

~Phil
Those are early 6PS .082 with the circled 2. I might have measured and marked those. I think they might be closer to .09. I'd recommend using them and if your build is lacking in bass try sourcing some .1 caps. Those are really close and pretty nice caps. Some of the other caps might be 220P Difilm which I really like. Very smooth.

I think I sent a complete set of signal and bypass caps. Did I send resistors?
Yup I'm still sorting through them all, but so far have got at least 80% of the resistors found I think. I'll use the .082's. Yeah you wrote on them, I think they were all around .084 if I recall on your writing. I had some 0.1 caps and put them in but haven't soldered anything yet, mine are New stock cde's not NOS spragues like yours.

I do believe all the caps have been there as well. I did note though that the tantalum caps you sent were 10uF but the schematic calls for a 2.2 in the presence circuit and I think 4.7's on the fet board, but not sure. So far not 100% done checking everything.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ijedouglas wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:53 am
pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:58 pm As mentioned, I need to start pulling it all together.

~Phil
I can send you a PT if you get the shipping (SoCal) 8)
I can do that, I'll PM you my address, if you can tell me what it costs and best way to pay :) Thanks!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Figure I can post a progress pic. To show it's coming along.
ProgressPic.jpg
Edit: I have those 4 .082's there because I plan on pulling the 0.1s and replacing per Smitty's comments :)

~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Curious, what’s going into the power supply? Are you gonna go NOS CF on the dropping resistors? Screen resistors? Bias supply? Or are ya goin modern production substitutes?
Charlie
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:58 pm Curious, what’s going into the power supply? Are you gonna go NOS CF on the dropping resistors? Screen resistors? Bias supply? Or are ya goin modern production substitutes?
I've already bought all new stuff and doing a precision supply. I don't know about the droppers I have some CC that Smitty gave me, but not any CF that I recall that were larger 2 or 3 watt ones. I might have to buy those that I need.

Basically what I have on hand or what I've been given. :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

I have a few 470ohm and 2k2 high wattage Dralorics from Jelle I would contribute if you want
Charlie
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:49 pm I have a few 470ohm and 2k2 high wattage Dralorics from Jelle I would contribute if you want
I won't say no :) I'll PM you my address.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Thanks to all that have sent me more parts. I've not had much time to do anything more, went away on a work trip then got back and went away on vacation. Finally trying to get back into tinkering on it.

I'm building the precision power supply on this even though it's an older generation build. I was wondering. I am setting up to order some of hte other parts I'll need like relays and the fet and I realize I'm out of 470k resistors for the balance. Is there some rule of thumb as to what is 'too high' or 'too low' for balance resistors there? Could I go up or down a bit and still have no major issues? If not I'll just order some, but wanted to check for sanity's sake.

Thanks for any insight.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

470K is such a common value found in guitar amps that you should probably just order a bunch to keep in bench stock.