Hrm with cf ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ang3lus

Hrm with cf ?

Post by Ang3lus »

Curious as to the the ripper circuit, which sounds interesting, is it a standard dumble topology, with him tonestack and a cathode follower before the tonestack ? With one unused trident?
If not, can a hrm be built with another tube to be used as a CF before the hrm tonestack ?
WhopperPlate

Re: Hrm with cf ?

Post by WhopperPlate »

Ripper Version 2.pdf
Ang3lus wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:01 am Curious as to the the ripper circuit, which sounds interesting, is it a standard dumble topology, with him tonestack and a cathode follower before the tonestack ? With one unused trident?
If not, can a hrm be built with another tube to be used as a CF before the hrm tonestack ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

yeah i've seen that one, but what about keeping the 2nd OD stage the 120k 1k8/1uf or even converting it to a 100k 820 and adding a CF ?

making it kind of high gain-ish with 4 gain stages + CF

or that would be too much ?
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Ang3lus wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:12 pm yeah i've seen that one, but what about keeping the 2nd OD stage the 120k 1k8/1uf or even converting it to a 100k 820 and adding a CF ?

making it kind of high gain-ish with 4 gain stages + CF

or that would be too much ?
In my experience the typical dc coupled cathode follower after everything as you describe would compress things up , especially if you overdrive it , and add punch and brighten the midrange . This all depends on how the circuit is tuned or course . It’s only overkill if you push it too hard imo . Add treble bleeders voltage dividers and trimmers as necessary.
Charlie
Roe

Post by Roe »

why use two tone stacks in series. a typical 2203 based circuit seems better
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
rootz

Post by rootz »

You don't Roe, at least not in practice. I think, like in e.g. the bluesmaster, lifting the first tone stack is mandatory when in OD.

I think the biggest problem with the Ripper is the fact that it is cascading. IMHO the OD channel asks for more tone shaping possibilities earlier in the preamp. More like the Bassman Ultraphonix mod Dumble did: trimming off some bass and high end. In the ripper that would also have consequences for the clean channel. When you go (semi) separate channels that problem is not there or to a lesser extent.

I did such a semi separate channel Ultraphonix (or should I say Rockphonix) some time ago. Really fun amp. Clean channel and OD with separate controls. Gain switchable 3 or 4 gain stages + CF. But is wasn't your typical Dumble sounding amp, even with trimmers between stages. Much more compressed, not as defined and off course much MUCH gainier.
Roe

Post by Roe »

rootz wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am You don't Roe, at least not in practice. I think, like in e.g. the bluesmaster, lifting the first tone stack is mandatory when in OD.

I think the biggest problem with the Ripper is the fact that it is cascading. IMHO the OD channel asks for more tone shaping possibilities earlier in the preamp. More like the Bassman Ultraphonix mod Dumble did: trimming off some bass and high end. In the ripper that would also have consequences for the clean channel. When you go (semi) separate channels that problem is not there or to a lesser extent.

I did such a semi separate channel Ultraphonix (or should I say Rockphonix) some time ago. Really fun amp. Clean channel and OD with separate controls. Gain switchable 3 or 4 gain stages + CF. But is wasn't your typical Dumble sounding amp, even with trimmers between stages. Much more compressed, not as defined and off course much MUCH gainier.
yes that seems right! Personally, I have best experience with combining a 2203ish/X88 gain channel with a vox top boost clean channel. Only the first gainstage is shared by both channels, and you only need 4 preamp tubes with the phase inverter included. and it sounds great. much better than many other channel switchers, since you get two great sounding channels with independent eq
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
jelle

Post by jelle »

rootz wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am
More like the Bassman Ultraphonix mod Dumble did: trimming off some bass and high end.
I have not seen any high end reduction measures in a Dumble Ultraphonix. They are clear and incredibly open in the top end...fragile harmonics :D
jelle

Post by jelle »

Roe wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:20 am why use two tone stacks in series. a typical 2203 based circuit seems better
In a well tuned amp, the dual tone stack OD config works well. It will make a humbucker guitar sound like a single coil that's on fire. Pretty cool effect, I use this effect with my band regularly. Kick in PAB and its rock city again. :twisted:
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Roe wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:20 am why use two tone stacks in series. a typical 2203 based circuit seems better
Maybe I am misunderstanding , but the OP seems to be referencing something like :

V1a > tonestack >v1b > od relay > v2 a > OD gain potentiometer > v3AB Dc coupled CF > tonestack + ratio
Charlie
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

Yeah exactly, a 2203 is a much different animal I think
rootz

Post by rootz »

jelle wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:54 pm
rootz wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am
More like the Bassman Ultraphonix mod Dumble did: trimming off some bass and high end.
I have not seen any high end reduction measures in a Dumble Ultraphonix. They are clear and incredibly open in the top end...fragile harmonics :D
Don’t know if all modded Bassmans have a cap over the anode resistor of v1b? The one you can find in this forum definitely has. That plate bypass cap trims the high end going to v2. Wether you hear it as less treble is another story. The creation of harmonics after v1b makes up for it I think. Maybe the cap is part of the fragile harmonics? Have you experimented with it Jelle?
rootz

Post by rootz »

WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:29 pm
Maybe I am misunderstanding , but the OP seems to be referencing something like :

V1a > tonestack >v1b > od relay > v2 a > OD gain potentiometer > v3AB Dc coupled CF > tonestack + ratio
Yes, a four gain stage amp! Sort of a Bluesmaster with a dc coupled cf. I made something reminiscent of this concept and it was a really fun and good sounding amp! Not a Bluesmaster anymore, but fun.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Ang3lus wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:08 pm Yeah exactly, a 2203 is a much different animal I think
but isn't the ripper gain typology similar if the first tonestack (at v1a) is lifted?
4x12" w/H75s
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

I guess you are right
Minus the attenuator 470k and cold clipper

Hadn't thought of that...