Resistor Shootout: High Plate Skyline

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Re: Resistor Shootout: High Plate Skyline

Post by WhopperPlate »

dbharris wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:25 am
But listening back to recordings I don't get that same feeling compared to the others.
Discerning nuanced differences in details within a recording is arguably more challenging than actually playing the things. No matter how transparent the rig there is always going to be an extra layer of color and affectation that will be considered negligible by most , but most definitely a factor.

The feelings of components is a very hard aspect to measure and quantify for anyone attempting the scientific method to isolate the influencing factors . No one hears two things the same , let alone plays the same way , nor feels two things the same.

Certain brands of components may sound exceptional but feel just weird . Many HiFi components I have utilized come to mind. Too much perfection and linearity for electric guitar lends itself to sterility.

Certain components pretty much sound like shite, but are easy and fun as that one girl you know . Not much to look at , but man do you have an easy time getting away with those tough licks :mrgreen: pun intended

Anyways , i digress, I would trust how you felt while playing them in the now
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

alnight wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:43 pm I too have been impressed with the Amtrans AMRG's. Really like the 2w in the dropping string and the 3/4w in the bias and negative feedback circuits. Seems to smooth the whole amp and tame high end unpleasantness. Didn't expect to prefer them for those positions.
What’s the deal with those? I know they are non magnetic , but are they non inductive ?

Why do resistors need to cost $12 each though !?
Charlie
alnight

Post by alnight »

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if they're non inductive. I bought a few just to try and see for myself, fully expecting to dismiss them as overpriced. Without getting into the weeds about my impression of other "audio grade" carbon films, these AMRG's are the ones which, to my ear, are most worth the upcharge over a regular KOA Speer or something from Mouser. They also have a higher voltage rating than most other carbon films, comparable to a metal film, which prompted me to try them in the power section where I really like them. Time will tell how well they hold the smoke in, but so far they are reliable. YMMV
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

alnight wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:55 pm That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if they're non inductive. I bought a few just to try and see for myself, fully expecting to dismiss them as overpriced. Without getting into the weeds about my impression of other "audio grade" carbon films, these AMRG's are the ones which, to my ear, are most worth the upcharge over a regular KOA Speer or something from Mouser. They also have a higher voltage rating than most other carbon films, comparable to a metal film, which prompted me to try them in the power section where I really like them. Time will tell how well they hold the smoke in, but so far they are reliable. YMMV
It’s nice to know you can color the whole amp well enough with only a few parts though . Those positions you mention are my favorite for global response adjustment . I am always surprised how clear the harmonic series rings out when I use carbon comp for the bias supply input and tail resistor .

Anyways, maybe we can find these cheaper ? Like koa Speer with kiwame…
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Listened to all them clips intently

I like dales in plates . That’s my vote

I heard a lot of warmth with the amtrans amrg . Hifi warmth . Smothering . The Amrt weren’t as bad
Charlie
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

It's great hearing everyone's opinions.

As I was initially playing with the PI trimmer by ear and without any measurements I was tending to set it for more harmonic distortion rather than less. I did end up up adjusting it for least via the methods described in stickies here before the resistor tests.

But I think I gravitated to resistors with that same warmth if that makes sense. Perhaps just my personal preference and ears that are not "super sensitive."

-Dan
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:49 am I am always surprised how clear the harmonic series rings out when I use carbon comp for the bias supply input and tail resistor.
Tail resistor... The resistor that bleeds the bias to ground?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

dorrisant wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:52 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:49 am I am always surprised how clear the harmonic series rings out when I use carbon comp for the bias supply input and tail resistor.
Tail resistor... The resistor that bleeds the bias to ground?
Yes; is that the wrong nomenclature ? Whatever, you figured it out lol

I like the effect of carbon comp in both those positions and putting a CF on the 220k(or whatever value used) bias/ grid resistors. Highlights the midrange and compressed nicely whenever I do this.

Can be potentially overkill with say a bright fender silver face amp. If I can maintain all carbon comp with something like that it feels more balanced to my ears . Depends on caps used and what not but generally speaking this I feel . ODS circuits aren’t as trebly like that ime so I can get away with brighter parts , like those dale MF. I can feel the tinnitus creeping on if I use them in an amp like fender silver face on v1, zing
Last edited by WhopperPlate on Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

@dbharris THANK YOU!!!

Finally had the opportunity to give this thread the proper attention it deserves. Unlike the majority of threads this one requires sufficient time in a quiet place, I finally managed to get these two things simultaneously.

The sound files were an education to me. First time I ever had the opportunity to listen to anything of this sort. This introduction to cork sniffing is definitely appreciated.
Glenn